U-Bend-It Heating Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaodw

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a Brau clone out of a keg and want to install a heating element through the bottom of the keg, this means having a right angle bent directly on the bottom of the keg to allow the element be as close to the bottom of the keg as possible.

From looking at other peoples examples (Matho's original, Cavemanbrew's) it seems like the obvious solution is a U-Bend-It element from Thermaelectric. I requested a quote over the weekend and the following was the reply:

1 x Part No: UBI-CL225
240V 2250W U-Bend-it element
Price @ $350.00AU plus GST EACH.

1 x Part No: UBI-WB240
240v 2400W
Price @ $350.00AU plus GST EACH.

Yes you're reading that correctly, $350 per element, I requested a quote on both the Incoloy (830mm long) and SS (1785mm long) and both are the same price. I called and inquired why such a high price and that I have seen other people buy for $~80-~$130 from Thermaelectrics but the answer was that each element is made to order and they no longer carry stock in-hand and they could not budge on price.

I am obviously not going to pay $350 for an element because I will just buy a Crown / Birko and not use a keg if thats the only option.

My question is, anyone with experience with U-Bend-It elements, or bottom entry elements, can you please advise where else I can source these elements or one similar.

I had 2 custom made by Romar Elements in Melbourne, for my brauclone, 2400w each, 400mm diameter and 430mm diameter less than $250 for both delivered, he's done a few sets for brau's now so have a chat to him.
Just a happy customer no affiliation.

MB

MastersBrewery said:
I had 2 custom made by Romar Elements in Melbourne, for my brauclone, 2400w each, 400mm diameter and 430mm diameter less than $250 for both delivered, he's done a few sets for brau's now so have a chat to him.
Just a happy customer no affiliation.

MB
Timely that you post this...

I put an enquiry in about one over the weekend and got a response that was a little unclear to me (no doubt due to gaps in my understanding).

Were the elements they supplied plug and play at your end? ie, you give them specs and the product that arrives at your door can be mounted to your pot and just plugged in?

I'm looking to get a project under way, and if I'm going to have to get a sparky to look at or wire up the element anyway I might as well get one from uxcell or similar for $20. But if they're plug and play I'll happily pay the extra for a local supplier (also means I can use it while I get the control system built).

uploadfromtaptalk1405320384588.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405320405068.jpg
Ok so the pics above show what arrived. Yes they will need wiring, and instalation I think is self explanitory. You can get these bent to order and there would be a number of wattages available.

MB

Thanks MB, looks like exactly what I am after. Now to measure up a BIG W stockpot and get a quote.

They look great! How high are they off the pot and can they handle boil dry scenarios?

They are ultra low watt density so I guess they could dry fire ....... not something I'm going to try!! element height will be between 40 and 60mm from the bottom of the pot, pretty happy with that. Also saved me having to muck around shaping for very little extra cost.

MB

That is a good height. Are they made custom length or are they pre made and then bent by them to spec?

I just got my custom element 3000W, bent to my design, from ISTRA Elements in Taren Point. $120.00 inc GST.
no affiliation and all that!

Pirate323i said:
I just got my custom element 3000W, bent to my design, from ISTRA Elements in Taren Point. $120.00 inc GST.
no affiliation and all that!
Any pics for us??
Is it stainless? And what length?
Any info much appreciated.

It is in the order of about 1m long...bent with an ID of 330mm to go around my Big W pot... It is incoloy with brass 3/8" bulkhead fittings and 90* bends very close to the ends. I will see what I can do about a picture (not sure how to post pics, do they need to be hosted somewhere?)

Very neat Pirate, i like it! I'll be looking to ISTRA elements when the time comes. Are you going to support the element in the middle or is it pretty rigid when fitted?

Where did you get those fittings in the bottom of your pot? I'm after a couple soon, as my pump arrived today =)

Bridges said:
They look like these skin fittings.
Exactly!

I don't think the element will need a support as it is quite stiff.

I chose a relatively short/high-wattage-per-unit-length element because it is going to be cramped down there with skin fittings, themowell etc, and I don't intend it to boil dry...

MastersBrewery said:
attachicon.gif
20140714_164423.jpg
attachicon.gif
20140714_164454.jpg
Ok so the pics above show what arrived. Yes they will need wiring, and instalation I think is self explanitory. You can get these bent to order and there would be a number of wattages available.
O
MB
Ooh I just ordered from Romar myself. Should be in the mail in a week or two =) excitement!

Anyone in Brisbane looking for an element check out cynebar at bowen hills. I got a 2400w 3.1m long element for $66.

Another vote for Jensen at Cynebar. I have spent over $100k with them over the past few years for work and continue to do so. If you don't know what you require they will work it all out for you, all you need to be able to tell them is that you want to heat/boil X amount within X time.

What type of material are people using to seal the penetrations through a stainless steel vessel?
Would fiber washers be OK for food grade? Siilicone washers? Copper washers? Caff gasket?

Latest posts

Back