Tweaking A Mongolian Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GumbyOne

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've found my 23 jet mongolian burner to be slightly overkill for single batches (and I was considering the 32 jet model :p ) and have a couple of questions,
1) It came supplied with a ball valve which lacks fine control of flame intensity, is there a better suited valve?
2) Could I block off a few jets with some solid brass stoppers? And if so which jets (I was thinking the centre 4) and what size and type of thread are the jets (1/4" bsp?)

Cheers for any input,

Gumby.

Do you have an adjustable reg??

No just a low pressure reg (what G&G recommended), the only adjustable regs ive seen are medium pressure. would a medium pressure reg deliver less gas on it's lowest setting than a low pressure reg? I'm trying to limit gas uasage here :)

You can get adjustable low pressure regs at Beerbelly,

http://www.beerbelly.com.au/burners.html
Low Pressure Adjustable LPG Regulator

2kg/hour, adjustable low pressure regulator suitable for either burner depending on your heat requirements. Supplied standard with a 1.8 metre hose. $49.95

it should work...but don't take my word for it as I have NO experience in this...verify with someone with more knowledge

Note:

Mongolian Burners
http://www.beerbelly.com.au/burners.html
These burners are suitable for OUTDOOR USE ONLY, using LOW pressure regulators only.
Your licenced gas fitter will be able to advise you on installation appropriate for your circumstances.

You may be able to buy an "in-line" valve to restrict flow if this reg is no good??

Pok

You can get adjustable low pressure regs at Beerbelly,

it should work...but don't take my word for it as I have NO experience in this...verify with someone with more knowledge

Note:

You may be able to buy an "in-line" valve to restrict flow if this reg is no good??

Pok

Thanks Pok, will look at the adjustable low pressure reg if a cheaper option isn't available :)

Hey all,
I've found my 23 jet mongolian burner to be slightly overkill for single batches (and I was considering the 32 jet model :p ) and have a couple of questions,
1) It came supplied with a ball valve which lacks fine control of flame intensity, is there a better suited valve?
2) Could I block off a few jets with some solid brass stoppers? And if so which jets (I was thinking the centre 4) and what size and type of thread are the jets (1/4" bsp?)

Cheers for any input,

Gumby.

lol, I run mine with an adj high pressure reg to get more oomph from it..

There was someone on here a while back that also found they had too much heat. If you throttle these back too much you end up with a lot of soot. They ended up removing some jets and plugging the holes with bolts. Can't remember who it was, but they even said the size bolt they used.

QldKev

Yep, I plugged my 23 jet NG burner down to 10 jets. It s a common problem, these burners really do soot like crazy when the flame is too low. I think the threads were around 1/4 NPT but probably smaller come to think of it. If you can, take one of your jets to a nut & bolt shop for a matched thread. The correct size will make sure the thing is safe and you can screw jets back into undamaged hole when you upscale capacity.

Interested to know what you work out with the valve. I've always though the ball way is a bit clumsy for adjusting the flow

Wow, only 10 jets? Do you find it takes much longer to get to boil? As for the valves I was thinking some sort of needle valve might allow for finer adjustment but i'm not really sure, anyone had experience with these?

Cheers,
Gumby.

I've got a 32 jet Mongo and low pressure adjustable reg. I do 60lt batches in a 110lt kettle and it has never been past the lowest setting on the reg. Once boiling it gets turned down so the flame just turns blue, biggest issue is stopping the gas botle from freezing in the Canberra winter or when the bottle is low....

Just picked up some threaded plugs from the bolt store, the threads are 1/16" NPTF. I'll see how they go on tomorrow's brew.

Cheers,
Gumby.

Latest posts

Back