TV show looking for extract brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GrumpyPaul said:
who's Barry and Samantha????

Fictional characters inside the theatre in my head.

A little disppointing, some of the replies here. I guess Waggastew didn't really win a National Category with an extract recently.

OP - What is it exactly you are after (if you're returning to this thread)?

I imagine Chris may have read this thread, turned to his colleagues and said: "Well, I think I know why they drink. Let's do a segment on boat building instead."

manticle said:
Fictional characters inside the theatre in my head.

A little disppointing, some of the replies here. I guess Waggastew didn't really win a National Category with an extract recently.

OP - What is it exactly you are after (if you're returning to this thread)?
Oooh the theatre...I love the theatre. Where can I buy tickets.

I agree about the responses though. We have a forum category specifically for Kits and Extract and our recipe database has a "filter by extract" feature.

Seems we are happy to talk about extract here...but only in the safe and secret confines of the interweb. We would want to do it on another medium now would we.

Ducatiboy stu said:
There is nothing wrong with extract or kit beers....had some great kit and extract beers.

But it is a bit boring to watch.....

The boiling of the hops would prob be the most exciting bit....other than that it is " Open tin of goo, pure into fermenter. add water & yeast...wait..."

At least if you went AG you could show the core of making beer starting with the whole grains, milling, mashing, ..etc...
Would it be boring to someone who has never seen it done before? Even kit brewing seemed daunting to me when I started a bit over a year ago. Perhaps seeing just how easy and quick kit and extract brewing is will entice a whole heap of people to give it a try.

Hi everyone

Thanks for your responses, I can see there is definitely a passionate community of beer brewers here which is exactly what we're looking for. To rest your minds at ease about who we are and what we're looking for, here are a few points to consider:
  • The TV show is called ManSpace, we're in production for our second season, and we champion the great things men get up to in their spaces - i.e. man caves, work sheds, fantastic collections, home brew setups, outdoor adventures, etc. You can check out episodes of season one here to see what we do - www.vimeo.com/search?q=manspace+episode.
  • The stories we wish to do with individuals will not be solely about extract brewing. For example, we shot a story on Friday that showcased a brewer's all grain brewing setup, and the man cave and bar he's building to serve his beers to his friends and family. He also mixed a brew using extract brewing for the story as a way of showing how simple it is for beginner's to get involved.
  • We want to create aspirational stories so people watching get excited enough about brewing to start their own journey, starting with extract brewing. The actual extract brewing component is just a small piece of the overall story.
I understand why people are defending all grain brewing, it's obviously an awesome way to brew beer. We want to champion the home brewing industry by featuring brewers who have excellent setups and a story to tell.

If you fancy being part of the show, send me an email with photos of you and your setup, and your story to [email protected]. Don't worry if you don't think you have a story to tell, you're not alone. Most people don't think they have a story to tell until we start chatting about what you do and why you started. Almost every time a story springs from somewhere that would be fascinating to tell.

I hope to hear from some of you soon...

Chris.

Good stuff!

and there is still plenty of ways to screw up an extract beer, fundamentals are to be adhered to - ignore them at your peril, which makes it still an art and a science am pretty bloody difficult to get right. she'd be a pretty quiet forum if it was made up of people that went straight into AG

anyway time to go take some pics, hang on - this system might not be here when...dammit, thwarted again!

Well as father of a young boy with limited free time and limited funds I'm happy to be a kit brewer or even kit and kilo slash extract brewer.
I love brewing my own beer and happily concede these are not my recipes but I MADE the damn beer.
Last I checked temperature control, yeast, water, sanitation and time all play a factor in the finished product.

If the moderators are interested in some feedback you might want to pull in some of the arrogance, wankery and just off the charts BS the AG brewers spout in threads like this.
It's posted in the "Kits and Extracts" forum.

If you're such an amazing AG brewer who couldnt possible slum to doing an extract brew because it's just soooo beneath you go hang out in the AG forum and stop being such dicks in here, ffs.

Havent visited the forums in a while and after reading this thread don't think I'll be back any time soon.
Well done on making such a brilliant hobby that can bring guys together into a fkn dick size competition lads, well done.

I've been taking this all very lightheartedly. When I was a kid we called the old fellas on surf skies goat boaters, but it's just a bit of ribbing - no malice

I think part of the reason for some of the responses in this thread was that the OP seemed to be looking for brewers but at the exclusion of AG brewers. The OP has clarified this in a subsequent post indicating that he already has the AG base covered. I think showing an extract brew is a good idea as it shows potential brewers how easy it might be to get into the hobby but I also appreciate that they're providing a broader spectrum of brewing options as well.

Brent_in_Sydney said:
Havent visited the forums in a while and after reading this thread don't think I'll be back any time soon.
Well done on making such a brilliant hobby that can bring guys together into a fkn dick size competition lads, well done.
I have to admit - I did feel a bit bad that my "why not all grain?" question may have opened a door here.

But I think you might be over-thinking the extent that its a dick - size competition. I had a read back through the posts again and there's really only one or two that are really "extract is inferior" or "I have a really awesome brew that extract is beneath me".

I agree with Fylp that most of it is light hearted ribbing.

Most just seem to be suggesting "all grain would be more interesting television"

By your own admission you haven't been around much...you should hang out here more often....weve had much bigger dick size competitions

Unless your a lefty and an all grainer its definitely hard to swallow a lot of the shit pumped out around here.

I wouldn't worry too much, Grumpy. Besides, it's given me another idea for a new invention: it's called Helous Beer Serving gas. It's made with helium and nitrous oxide to allow some people to lighten up.

If he wants to do a segment on how to frig up a brew then I'm his man :unsure: !!

Just out curiosity...

Did anyone go ahead with this?

I am now aware of two of us that were set to and the TV crew pulled out at the last minute due to scheduling conflicts of the presenter.

So who else volunteered and it went ahead - are we going to see any AHBers on the telly box?

They right properly fucked me about,

The one good thing that came out of it was the brewery and shed got cleaned.. Messy as all get out now from the renovations but yeah...

**** Kenny and his crew and most importantly, **** coopers (who are sponsoring the segment and clearly have their agenda set)

Ed. And by the by. They contacted me, not me them for all that's worth

Haha! Me too. Had to turn down the offer due to my witness protection cover. Sounds like it was a good move.

Yob said:
They right properly fucked me about,
The one good thing that came out of it was the brewery and shed got cleaned.. Messy as all get out now from the renovations but yeah...
**** Kenny and his crew and most importantly, **** coopers (who are sponsoring the segment and clearly have their agenda set)
Ed. And by the by. They contacted me, not me them for all that's worth
Camo6 said:
Haha! Me too. Had to turn down the offer due to my witness protection cover. Sounds like it was a good move.
Ahh ya both have blown it,it could have meant a lucrative international deal with podcasts etc....oh well back to home brewing.

So the show premiered last night on 9GO! http://www.9jumpin.com.au/show/manspace/ 7.30pm Monday nights

I missed it but I might try and watch it on catch up, some guys a work told me they watched it and said I should check it out knowing that home brew

Latest posts

Back