Trub Help?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshisgood

Reaction score
Hi all just finished my first ag brew (biab 40l urn) and have filled one 20 litre cube, there is about 6-7 liters left in the urn but there's alot of what I think is hot or cold break (looks like cottage cheese). I can't really get this wort without sucking through a good bit of this stuff, should I go for it or just leave it? Cheers

If you first cube is full, I'd just seal it up (you probably have), then I'd strain the remaining trub through a filter, some voile that you used for the bag, or the bag itself, in a kitchen strainer or colander. When you come to pitch, beforehand boil that strained wort up in a small stockpot or pan for 10 minutes, perhaps add some more aroma hops if its appropriate, then allow it to cool with the lid on (i.e. sanitary) and add it all to the fermenter. You've just increased efficiency by no small amount, in the order of 20%, plus the opportunity exists to top up late/ aroma hops character. B)

How was your grain crushed? Did you use whirfloc?
When I BIABed I always got alot of trub. Its pretty much the reason I decided to use a mash tun.
As for sucking it up you have a few options:
1.) Leave it there and only take clear wort
2.) Filter through a piece of viole in a strainer (I wasn't a fan of this)
3.) get a vessel/s and fill them with trub, put them in the fridge and over night they will separate and you can get the good wort off the top. (my personal fav, made easy with a 5L demijon)

Since your not chilling the wort, there shouldn't be any cold break, all thats down there is hops and hot break crud.

If you are using whirfloc, you only need about 1/4 tablet in there. Adding too much can cause lots of fluffy trub.

Cheers guys, ended up pouring leftovers into a large juice bottle (wasn't as much as I thought only about 3l) so I guess I'll let that settle overnight and then separate and boil the wort along with a bit from the cube(plan was to boil a few liters next day for late hops anyway) thanks again, josh

Edit: grain was pre milled from craftbrewer,
And I used 1/2 a whirfloc tab as per packet instructions, will try 1/4 next time

Latest posts

Back