Toucan Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Brooksy - In my experience honey is excellent, but not very well priced for the amount I'd like to use!

I found the honey fades with time, and I always used honey from a local bloke who keeps bees. I'd do it more if he could spare more honey!

Honey - Excellent, Dex - so so, Toucans - excellent. :D

InCider.

A brewing mate of mine added honey to a brew and it took ages to settle in the bottles.
At 1 month it tasted like crap and he was going to tip it down the drain. At my insistence he put it away for another 5 months saying "It's just as easy to pour down the drain in 5 months as it is now, so what the heck." It turned out quite good, not my cuppa tea, but not bad at all. The difference in taste was far more marked than the difference 5 months makes to a toucan or K&K brew.

i.e. Honey: Crap to quite good.... Dextrose/toucan: Good to brilliant.

No worries InCider.

As I intimated, personal taste. When I get a chance I'll do a sparkling mead, but.........

Anyway.... Back on topic ;)

Oh, I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but toucan coopers stout is quite bitter, about 1.5 times more bitter than a single k&k, so be aware there is a definite change in this department.

Personally I like it, but it may come as a shock to those not ready for it.

This site is so darned addictive, I've been trying to bottle a Cerveza all morning and most of this arvo!!

Aaaagggghhh :lol:

Keep on brewing!!!!! :super:

No worries InCider.

As I intimated, personal taste. When I get a chance I'll do a sparkling mead, but.........

Anyway.... Back on topic ;)

Oh, I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but toucan coopers stout is quite bitter, about 1.5 times more bitter than a single k&k, so be aware there is a definite change in this department.

Personally I like it, but it may come as a shock to those not ready for it.

This site is so darned addictive, I've been trying to bottle a Cerveza all morning and most of this arvo!!

Aaaagggghhh :lol:

Keep on brewing!!!!! :super:

lol, if you're not boiling the cans or anything, i would hazard a guess that it would be double the bitterness when using two cans as opposed to one :p

lol, if you're not boiling the cans or anything, i would hazard a guess that it would be double the bitterness when using two cans as opposed to one :p

No mate, about 1.5. It really is good.

The toucan Bitter is better, but the better the bitter, the stouter the stout..... :party: :blink:

Just watch the airlock mate. I had a big foamer with mine filled to 23L. There's still a black speck in the middle of the airlock, which won't wash out.

I also had a foamer, did a single can coopers stout couple of weeks ago and used the yeast from the previous brews slurry. Within an hour of pithching the airlock was going mental, by the morning the lid was covered in black stuff and had come through the airlock and all over the place :eek:

Hi all,

racked to secondary today.
SG was 1014, taste was very nice, not to bitter.

I can't wait to get this into the keg :D

cheers
Moray

ps 100th post :)

All the talk about foamers reminds me of a similar experience :) Same toucan stout, I pitched 22L onto an entire Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast cake after racking off a Theakstons OP clone....the thing went off like a rocket.

That was over 6 months ago now, havent had a good experience with stouts OR toucans (yet to do one even drinkable) so being an experiment to just get rid of some old ingredients, I havent even been bothered trying it yet. recipe was:

Coopers Stout + Dark Ale + some brown sugar (forget how much sugar, also didnt realise that 'dark brown sugar' was different, so its just regular brown sugar :)), boiled with 2 fuggles plugs for 10min, another 2 plugs into secondary.

I'm not even positive if it was dry hopped, I did about 5 brews at the same time (another reason why I havent tasted it yet :p) and one of them I forgot to dry hop after racking, and I didn't take notes - oops!

Just started a simple 23 litre Twocan,

both Coopers Stout and 1 pack yeast.

Went like a rocket, so fortunately I had heeded advise ad used a 30 litre FV and it still went through the bubbler a bit.

Started at 1.046, and down to 1.020 in 3 days.

3 days later 1.019 and flat on top

What should it finish at ?

Back