Toucan Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moray

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have read a bit here about toucan brews, and liked the sound of a toucan stout.
I noticed Coles have coopers kits on sale so I got a stout and a dark ale kit, as well as a kilo of dark brown suger.

I have a safale s04 yeast in the fridge that I'm going to use instead of the kit yeast.

I'm thinking basic recipe is disolve 500 g's of sugar in a couple litres of boiling water, then just chuck it and the contents of both cans in the fermenter, top up to 20 litres and pitch yeast.

or should I boil one or both of the kits, and if one which one.

I also have some very old hops ( 10 year old target and challenger cones, and a couple of packets of northern brewer pellets of about the same vintage) Should I use any of these for aroma or bittering, or are they to old to be any good, and should just be chucked in the bin.

cheers
Moray

Hi all,

I have read a bit here about toucan brews, and liked the sound of a toucan stout.
I noticed Coles have coopers kits on sale so I got a stout and a dark ale kit, as well as a kilo of dark brown suger.

I have a safale s04 yeast in the fridge that I'm going to use instead of the kit yeast.

I'm thinking basic recipe is disolve 500 g's of sugar in a couple litres of boiling water, then just chuck it and the contents of both cans in the fermenter, top up to 20 litres and pitch yeast.

I also have some very old hops ( 10 year old target and challenger cones, and a couple of packets of northern brewer pellets of about the same vintage) Should I use any of these for aroma or bittering, or are they to old to be any good, and should just be chucked in the bin.

cheers
Moray

If you want a really basic twocan stout, just chuck in both tins and make to 21L and use the s-04 yeast.

nothing more.

dont use too much brown sugar, 200g is the most i would go with, otherwise it could go a bit cidery.

I have a twocan coopers stout on the go atm.

just:
2x coopers stout
1kg dark dried malt extract
25g fuggles hops
10ml liquid liquorice (brewcraft brand)
safale s-04 yeast

made up to 23L

OG was 1064 for reference.

and i wouldnt bother with them hops, far too old to be of any use.

Hi all,

cheers
Moray

Moray

1. Chuck the hops in the garden. If your lukcy they might grow into hops plants (doubtful). if noting else its good fertilizer
2. Please dont use too much table sugar. Its the devil. DME is better, or maybe a bit of muscavado sugar for really dark tasty flavour.
3. Where in Melb has the cheap coopers kits???? I want to get some Imperial Voyage for a Imperial Voyage toucan.

Just watch the airlock mate. I had a big foamer with mine filled to 23L. There's still a black speck in the middle of the airlock, which won't wash out.

I wouldn't bother with the sugar at all. I've just made one of these that was just the stout and dark ale cans and nothing else and it's certainly strong enough in flavour and alcohol. :party:

If I was going to do anything, I might add a few fuggles but I really don't think it needs any more fermentables. I always figure it's best to keep it basic the first time you try something new to understand the flavours and then adjust to your taste in later brews.

Moray,

I wouldn't add any sugars all all. The dark malt ext you have is ok.
Fuggles are the go in these brews.

I am drinking a true Toucan (and nothing else) Coopers Stout at the moment and it is very good, 5.6% ABV.
It is just a touch bitter (even for a stout) at present, but it is only 6 weeks old. It will mellow.

Next time you are down there pickup 2 X Coopers Bitter and do a true toucan Bitter,
now that is an eye opener.
It does turn out very friendly ideay...... Trust me.

just took a hydro reading of my twocan thats brewing atm.

still on 1022 after a few days, so i gave the carboy a bit of a swirl to hopefully get it to drop a few more points.

had a little taste, the fuggles hops i added have changed the flavor a little (for the better of course!) and its shaping up to be a very tasty brew. cant wait to get this baby bottled and matured a little.

Hi all,

thanks for all your replies.

I am a bit worried about the bitterness from a toucan, which is why i'm looking to add more fermentables.

so I picked 500 g's of ddme yesterday, I'll use this instead of the brown sugar, that will go on the kids porridge :)

looking to brew it up tomorrow.

oh and to answer citymorgue's question
3. Where in Melb has the cheap coopers kits???? I want to get some Imperial Voyage for a Imperial Voyage toucan.

Coles has the coopers kits on sale in it's latest catalouge, so I'm pretty sure all Coles should have them.

cheers
Moray

I'm curious. Is a Kit such as my coopers stout, just a mixture of malt and hops?

If so, instead of using a kit can I just boil my malt and and hops?

Hi Reveler,

from my understanding a kit can is pretty much hopped malt extract.

the boiling malt extract with your own hops is extract brewing, and is a good step towards
AG brewing

cheers
Moray

I'm curious. Is a Kit such as my coopers stout, just a mixture of malt and hops?

When you boil a kit for 20 - 30 mins you effectively remove the flavour component of the hop oil added to the extract, leaving the bittering component. This allows you to flavour your brew with your own hops. The results may not be as good as using "clean" extract, but it is a learning curve and a matter of personal taste.

Generally cheap lager kits range from 16 - 23 IBUs, other kit ranges vary quite widely, so adding hops at any stage before 5 mins boil will affect your bitterness in some way. Boiling for more than 15 mins also darkens your end result (lagers etc).

Be careful with the toucan stout, possibly stout + dark ale my be a better trial than a straight toucan stout, unless you like a bitter beer.

If you do a stout/dark ale, add some corn syrup and use both yeast sachets or talk to your LHS owner for a good ale yeast.

Toucanning is really worth it and you can vary the result in a miriad of ways. All are covered on this site.

:chug:

Thats called extract brewing, and if you think you are ready to take the next step, then by all means give it a go.

extract brewing is a great step up from kit and kilo, as you are controlling the beer and flavouring it exactly how you want it.

it is easily worth the extra hour you spend brewing.

thanks for the replys, i won't hijack the thread any further. I'll go read up on extract brewing!

Coles has the coopers kits on sale in it's latest catalouge, so I'm pretty sure all Coles should have them.
cheers
Moray
Hey fellas. hit coles this morning to stock up on Coopers kits. They had a few but out of others, SO I got a rain check for a whole heap of differant styles. I figure that even though I didnt want all of them now, it will save me heaps later on. When I want the stock I;ll just pull out a raincheck!

Go to the front of coles (where they sell ciggerettes etc) and ask them for a raincheck on whatever items you want and how many you want. they write it down and the price, and then your set.

great little money saver

Hey fellas. hit coles this morning to stock up on Coopers kits. They had a few but out of others, SO I got a rain check for a whole heap of differant styles. I figure that even though I didnt want all of them now, it will save me heaps later on. When I want the stock I;ll just pull out a raincheck!

Go to the front of coles (where they sell ciggerettes etc) and ask them for a raincheck on whatever items you want and how many you want. they write it down and the price, and then your set.

great little money saver

You guys have talked me into a toucan. How do you think a Coopers Stout and dark ale would go with 500grams of honey as the only other fermentable.

Cheers

Beerbreath
should be pretty good with the added honey, I might try that next time.

I would boil the honey with about 2 to 3 litres of water for about 5 to 10 minutes then just chuck it and the cans into the fermenter.
Let us know how it goes.

I have just finished starting by toucan.
final recipe was a can of coopers stout, a can of coopers dark ale, 200 gms of dark brown sugar, 500 gms of ddme, used one packet of safale 04 yeast.
Made it up 21.5 litres og was 1060

cheers
Moray

Beerbreath
should be pretty good with the added honey, I might try that next time.

I would boil the honey with about 2 to 3 litres of water for about 5 to 10 minutes then just chuck it and the cans into the fermenter.
Let us know how it goes.
I have just finished starting by toucan.
final recipe was a can of coopers stout, a can of coopers dark ale, 200 gms of dark brown sugar, 500 gms of ddme, used one packet of safale 04 yeast.
Made it up 21.5 litres og was 1060

cheers
Moray
let us know how that goes. sounds good. toucan is my next brew, i need to do a freeloaders brew first (chucked it into fermentor yesterday).

Moray,
IMO the dark brown sugar may have been a mistake but I'm really interested in the outcome AT 6 MONTHS!!! Don't go drinking the whole batch!!!

DBS is very strong in flavour, and if this brew doesn't work, omit the sugar and do it again, but also change the dark malt for light malt and boil it before adding it to the brew.

With all the flavour you have, 2 kits + ddme, the sugar really isn't required for flavouring, but it'll certainly add to you Alc content. :lol:

My punt is 6.5%ABV

Coopers Stout + Dark Ale is a winner of a combination. If you have access to a Fuggle hop teabag, throw one into the fermenter when krausen finished (dry hop). This will give the brew the "finishing" touch. Its about the best (arguably) hop for dark beers.

And don't forget to tell us what your FG is!!!!

Added all below.....
You guys have talked me into a toucan. How do you think a Coopers Stout and dark ale would go with 500grams of honey as the only other fermentable.

Cheers
A brewing mate of mine added honey to a brew and it took ages to settle in the bottles.
At 1 month it tasted like crap and he was going to tip it down the drain. At my insistence he put it away for another 5 months saying "It's just as easy to pour down the drain in 5 months as it is now, so what the heck." It turned out quite good, not my cuppa tea, but not bad at all. The difference in taste was far more marked than the difference 5 months makes to a toucan or K&K brew.

i.e. Honey: Crap to quite good.... Dextrose/toucan: Good to brilliant.

Latest posts

Back