Tooheys White Stag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian ulrick

Reaction score
Just a heads up that Lion Nathan are bringing out another megaswill. It will be a low carb Tooheys New called (I think) White Stag. Rep called in yesterday and said it will be on shelf Monday 22nd September. Said it is out to compete against Blonde and their Hahn Super Dry. He also said that they are going to be advertising the crap out of it.
Oh by the way Lion Nathan says that the Aussies follow the Yanks in Beer trends and we will all be drinking low carb light beer. I thought not this little black duck as I was sucking on a CPA.

Oh by the way Lion Nathan says that the Aussies follow the Yanks in Beer trends and we will all be drinking low carb light beer.

Then he also should have said that it was one of the fastest shrinking segments in the US beer scene.
It had a huge growth... then a huge fall ( is still a strong segment), will probably level out in a few years.
I think the low-carb segment here will have a bit of a jolt within the next 12 months

Low carb everything seems to be dying a slow death since the days of the Atkins Diet. Low carb beer seems to be a similar fad to ice beer in the 90s. When did you last see an ad for Carlton Cold? Apart from Hahn Special (not the light) I can't think of one NSW Lion Nathan brew that I like. When in Sydney if I have to drink in a mainstream pub I go for a Reschs - good on Fosters for continuing to brew it. Shame on them for killing off the Tooths brands.

And here I was hoping with a name like that it was going to be a Witbeer.....
doh

Its more than just the low-carb thing in terms of dietary intake. These companies make this junk because you can drink more of it before getting that full feeling you do from beers with better body.

So they come out with a beer that they charge extra for and allows you to drink more! What a great sales grab!

What kind of carpet ;)

polyester office carpet squares. Grey ones. slightly worn.

arrrrgggggggll.....love those squares... :icon_drool2:

Wouldn't any dietary benefit of "low carb" beer be totally blown away by all the empty calories?

Even funnier is when chicks avoid beer because it will "make them fat", and then proceed to drink 6 sugar-cruisers that are the equivalent of consuming 12+ normal beers.

Tooheys White Stag - "the working mans low carb beer!"

Its more than just the low-carb thing in terms of dietary intake. These companies make this junk because you can drink more of it before getting that full feeling you do from beers with better body.

So they come out with a beer that they charge extra for and allows you to drink more! What a great sales grab!

I can drink much more VB then I can any of those low carb beers. It isnt anything to do with the taste its just the low carb beers make me really bloated and i burp a lot, it feels kinda like having a gut full of water.

drank one of these a couple of months ago - standard run of the mill mega swill. If you are a New drinker, tastes just the same with less carbs - Seriously., I couldn't spot the different.

But then again, now days most mega swill tastes the same

I thought Toohey's already had Maxim as a low carb beer?
What do the marketers say is different about this one?

I don't want to drink no White Dags

Low carb beers have been around forever, for example Castlemaine Dietale and even in the UK we had Holsten Pils lo carb ever since I was a teenager and that was when the Beatles were just starting off. However I think these old brands are now viewed as old-farts drinks from the same era as Reschs DA whatever, hence the new brands.

I was under the impression that low carb beers are simply mashed to leave fewer dextrins in the final beer but still getting the alc by vol?

I think Whats Wrong With Hahn has answered your question bconnery. Pretty much the same as the New less carbs. Was going in one ear and out the other as I am more interested in getting some boutique beers such as Little Creatures and the like to sell.
I'm in a town with a lot of old die hards that think there's nothing better than a Tooheys or VB but I must add that CPA is close to being our biggest seller. Town has a lot of new commers that may appreciate a finer drop of amber. Plus I was checking out the new James Squire bar runners we got out of him. I think that one will end up here at home for my future bar setup. :D

Back