Dry Enzyme?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam dee

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have just found out about this dry enzyme thing. I have always loved low carb beers, for there finishing notes. The extra crisp dry finish of Tooheys new white stag and hahn superdry, to name a couple, is really what I enjoy.

I also find, low carb beer doesnt bloat you as much as normal beer. Which makes it perfect for when your trying to eat a meal aswell.

So my question is, has anyone tried it? has anyone done a comparison? Did it give you YOUR desired effect, and if so, what was that?

Cheers and good beers

- Liam

Hey guys,

I have just found out about this dry enzyme thing. I have always loved low carb beers, for there finishing notes. The extra crisp dry finish of Tooheys new white stag and hahn superdry, to name a couple, is really what I enjoy.

I also find, low carb beer doesnt bloat you as much as normal beer. Which makes it perfect for when your trying to eat a meal aswell.

So my question is, has anyone tried it? has anyone done a comparison? Did it give you YOUR desired effect, and if so, what was that?

Cheers and good beers

- Liam

There is a whole thread about the stuff mate. Have a search for it.

I for one have been an advocate for it for years with Kit & Kilo beers. I have brewed heaps of good ones using it and it does exactly what you are looking for. It will get FG's down to about 1005 usually. Once you start doing extract & mini mashes tho I have discovered it gives a very unique astringency. Lemony almost. Its harsh and I believe this is more prevelant if you use crystal malts with the dry enzyme.

Loads of info on here about it.

I'm not a fan of the commercial styles that use it (I find it's basically used to strip out the two things I like in beer which is body and flavour) but if you do use it be warned that it will ferment right down beyond the level of most kit beers so you can accidentally bottle unfinished beer if you're not careful.

That means bottles go bang.

In terms of bloatation - I've always found that happens due to high carbonation rather than full bodied beer. I could drink smooth low carbonated english bitters all night but fizzy stuff makes me need to stop and burp on a regular basis.

you can accidentally bottle unfinished beer if you're not careful.

That means bottles go bang.

This quite right happened to me a few weeks back lost a few bottles degassed the rest but to late the carb ferment put in some bad flavours..

60 tall ones gone...

My old man allways uses the dry enzyme, I'm not a fan.

Back