Tooheys Extra Dry Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't dry hop with Pride of Ringwood, not a nice flavour. POR is a bittering hop which means you need to boil it with your kit before you make up the beer in primary.

I wouldn't bother dry hopping this sort of style. Next time do a quick boil of some noble hops like Hallertau or Tettnang - just boil it up with some of the malt for about 5-10 minutes to add some hop flavour and aroma. Dry hopping will probably give you a pretty grassy/resiny flavour which is nice in certain styles but not pale lagers.

thanks for your help guys! I am on for another 5 hours of studying the great art :party:

Saint did you get that Extra Dry Clone happenin , how did it turn out ??
have a mate at work who is fond of extra dry who home brews, if it worked out ok ill get your final recipe off ya and give it to him to have a crack at....

Saint did you get that Extra Dry Clone happenin , how did it turn out ??
have a mate at work who is fond of extra dry who home brews, if it worked out ok ill get your final recipe off ya and give it to him to have a crack at....

Mate is bottled so waiting for the right time. On 7th March I am trying 1 as it will only be 2 weeks in the bottle then. I will post my coments about this brew on this thread that week and each week their after till it suites my taste.

THE 12 WEEK EXPERIMENT!

It is only a KK kit though.

Looks clear too, Like a honey kinda colour, anyway march is the try date "cheers".

good stuff mate , hope it turns out ok

I reckon it'll be a lot nicer than the real thing.
Do you have a final recipe there JD?
I have a stack of those tall stubbies (coronas, heine's and dry's) that match nicely with an easy drinking dry.

Let's see if you can wait the minimum two weeks. I've been getting impatient lately. :beerbang:
Pete

I reckon it'll be a lot nicer than the real thing.
Do you have a final recipe there JD?
I have a stack of those tall stubbies (coronas, heine's and dry's) that match nicely with an easy drinking dry.

Let's see if you can wait the minimum two weeks. I've been getting impatient lately. :beerbang:
Pete

the recipe I used was a recipe from LHBS

Black rock dry lager
1kg dextrose
POR dry hopped

bulk primmed with dex 175g
primary 4 days
secondary 2 days
cold conditioned 2 days

was a 23ltr brew at 18-20*
now just bottle conditioning 7/3

I have my Dragons true ale ready on this wensday maybe a try today only 12 days bottled

Shamefully digging up this thread. A mate has challenged me to do a Toohey's Extra Dry clone. I've gathered some intelligence (very little from this thread though) and given my stock of ingredients at home this is what I intend to do. On my tea break so don't have software to assist -
  • 80/20 split of Pilsner / Pale malt (JW)
  • Boiled rice added to mash
  • Single POR hops at 50 mins to about 18 IBU (no chill)
  • Wyeast 2042
Mash long and low at 62°C, mash out with rest at 72°C for some head retention.

Ferment at 13°C until 80% through then diacetyl rest up to 18°C. Chill for 4 weeks (yes 4) in fermenter, then keg. Drink after 1 week, cold as ice and carbed up at 100 kPa.

I'm hoping the rice will give it that edge that the dry beers tend to have, and a low mash will minimise any body that this beer might otherwise contain. No sugaz, using an adjunct instead and low mash to acheive similar effect. Hoping the yeast suits.

Feedback welcome.

0019.gif

In seriousness, it looks good though I'd pitch at 6c then let come up to8-10 and leave it til it's done, which could be 4-6 weeks. I did this to a xxxx gold clone ( yep you read right ) by accident ( broken kneecap ) and it was super crisp and dry and clean as. Very nice IMHO.
Next one I tried the start cool then raise up to 18 over a week. Not anywhere near as clean and crisp.

Never dealt with it before mje (dry enzyme). Looking at some other discussions on the forum about it there have been mixed results/opinions. Haha, welcome to brewing right?
I'll definitely consider it. Attempting to clone commericial is dangerous territory at best for reasons observed in this thread, so I might play it safe and not make it exceeeeeedingly dry a la the real thing. I recently did a XXXX Bitter clone attempt and I reckon I ended up with a better beer. Maybe if I steer away from the enzymes for the first crack ol' mate might be more pleased with it than the commercial drop?

Will probably end up following the low temp ferment. Current outdoor temps for Orange are maxing out at single figures at the moment so this is lager brewing weather at its finest. It's not hockey weather though, which I will be reminded of on Sunday.

No the enzyme was a joke mate, it is crap stuff. Do not use it !!!

I used that yeast for me gold clone. Honestly, compared to the 2nd beer I made with it, it was so much more clear, crisp and dry. My best lager I believe. I made a 4 litre starter, and put in the fridge when done, with the cube. Chilled fridge to 6, then poured most of the starter liquid off, and pitched into the fermentor. Back in the fridge. Let come up to 8-10. Then break your kneecap at around 2 weeks into fermentation. 5 weeks later when you're out if the zimmer splint, bring temp up to 16 or so for a day or two then crash chill and keg.

Cheers. Will follow advice excluding patella injuries. I only have 2 kegs, one lagering and an ale on the run about to go into the other. It'll be many weeks before I finish so this is a good opportunity for extended brewing.

I gave one of my megaswill mates a keg of 97% Pale Malt + 3% Cane Sugar - single POR addition at 60m to give 22 IBU.

WLP-001 at 18

Although its not a lager.

Keg lasted 2 weeks and I was asked if I could make another one 'not soooo strong'

If u like a dry beer, why don't u just make a pale ale the add the low carb packet. It will dry up Ur beer with better flavour then Ted. I was the same as u when I first started tho I wanted to make a bluetongue lager. Same kind of thing as above. But when I started all grain and started trying craft brew I can barely drink commercial beer anymore. U will be the same and most people on here start like that.

TheWiggman said:
Cheers. Will follow advice excluding patella injuries. I only have 2 kegs, one lagering and an ale on the run about to go into the other. It'll be many weeks before I finish so this is a good opportunity for extended brewing.
Yeah, skip that bit :).

mrsupraboy said:
If u like a dry beer, why don't u just make a pale ale the add the low carb packet. It will dry up Ur beer with better flavour then Ted. I was the same as u when I first started tho I wanted to make a bluetongue lager. Same kind of thing as above. But when I started all grain and started trying craft brew I can barely drink commercial beer anymore. U will be the same and most people on here start like that.

He's doing it for a mate. That low carb dry enzyme stuff is terrible

Was that directed at me mrsupraboy? I'm not new to brewing, been doing it for about 10 years. It's not that I really like dry beer but attempting to expand the skills, moreso so a mate can enjoy it. I've always wondered what rice does to a mash so this is as good an excuse as any.
I've already made wheat, stout, pale ale, lager, ESB. Tastes in beers haven't changed. I still favour stouts and hoppy ales, and select lagers. At present just brewing with the ingredients I have.

And I've said it before but just because I might get close to a commercial product, it doesn't mean I won't make it better :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back