Tooheys Extra Dry Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdsaint

Reaction score
does any1 have a tooheys extra dry type recipe kits prefered?
I only have extra dry stubie bottles so i thought that it would be a good idea to make this type cause the labels are permenant and it would be easier to tell them apart from the rest like tooheys new i would make a tooheys new type in that bottle so has anyone got 1? even platinum :party:

Just fill the bottles half way with water and then top up by pissing in them :ph34r:

Seriously though, someone will have something for you...maybe :)

PZ.

Just fill the bottles half way with water and then top up by pissing in them :ph34r:

hahahaha mate I love my xxxx gold, and carlton draught just making extra drys cause thats what the bottle is and the fact its something different cheers though :chug:

beer_label_1_584X649.jpg

Seriously though, someone will have something for you...maybe :)

PZ.

you forgot about leaving them in direct sunlight to mature for at least two weeks prior
to drinking then serving ice cold.

are their any serious responses out there? as it seems the ones I got are from people who drink them self to sleep everyday

thanks brother cheers bro let ya know how it goes evrybody

TED or any other aussie swill lager is always good for a laugh on this forum i reckon! Seems to be one of the most common questions! Most of us prefer real "beer" flavours than the crap which is continually marketed as "the best" when in fact, it's just fancy-labelled crap made to a financial and brewery resource budget!

If you are going to try a kit to do any pale Aussie lager style using a kit

1. get the freshest, lightest colored kit available with a minimal bitterness. Preferably one that uses light-stable hop extract so that putting it in clear bottles doesn't "skunk" the beer - the Coopers Mex Cerveza might be right.
2. Ferment using a lager yeast at 8-12C and lager it at 1C for 2 months or so (or just use a pseudo-lager style yeast like US05/American Ale and ferment at 15C, if you don't mind spending money on liquids a Kolsch yeast or the WLP060 American Blend is good)
3. Use as much dextrose as possible, you don't want any malt flavour to be noticeable
4. If the beer does not finish "dry" enough and has some residual sweetness, consider using AMG, commonly known as Dry Enzyme, which will make the beer as dry as water but that's probably the idea.

With a AG recipe that would take some of the same tricks as the big boys

1. Use nothing but 60% lager malt, mash for 120m at about 65C using as much Viscoflo/beta-glucanase enzyme and AMG enzyme for dryness as you can feasibly use. Brew to about 8-9% alcohol. Add about 40% of grist weight as sugar.
3. Boil with no hops added at all.
4. Ferment with neutral lager yeast and Maturex enzyme to control diacetyl (no lagering required)
5. Filter through DE, add to bright beer tank, dilute to packaging strength, add light-stable tetra-hydro-iso-hop-extract, chillproofer (papain) and PGA to increase what little head retention is left

Actually pretty difficult to make a homebrew with as little flavour as commercial Aussie lager swill!

as it seems the ones I got are from people who drink them self to sleep everyday
So what's wrong with that?

Kinda sounds like fightin' words.... get me my pistol :angry:

are their any serious responses out there? as it seems the ones I got are from people who drink them self to sleep everyday

Some of us may drink ourselves to sleep, but by not drinking TED we don't wake up with hangovers!

Easy there boys. Remember the statement was made by someone with no punctuation, so there might have been some ambiguity there.

It could have read like this:
It seems the ones I got are from people. Who drinks them self to sleep everyday?

Who knows?

TED or any other aussie swill lager is always good for a laugh on this forum i reckon! Seems to be one of the most common questions! Most of us prefer real "beer" flavours than the crap which is continually marketed as "the best" when in fact, it's just fancy-labelled crap made to a financial and brewery resource budget!

If you are going to try a kit to do any pale Aussie lager style using a kit

1. get the freshest, lightest colored kit available with a minimal bitterness. Preferably one that uses light-stable hop extract so that putting it in clear bottles doesn't "skunk" the beer - the Coopers Mex Cerveza might be right.
2. Ferment using a lager yeast at 8-12C and lager it at 1C for 2 months or so (or just use a pseudo-lager style yeast like US05/American Ale and ferment at 15C, if you don't mind spending money on liquids a Kolsch yeast or the WLP060 American Blend is good)
3. Use as much dextrose as possible, you don't want any malt flavour to be noticeable
4. If the beer does not finish "dry" enough and has some residual sweetness, consider using AMG, commonly known as Dry Enzyme, which will make the beer as dry as water but that's probably the idea.

With a AG recipe that would take some of the same tricks as the big boys

1. Use nothing but 60% lager malt, mash for 120m at about 65C using as much Viscoflo/beta-glucanase enzyme and AMG enzyme for dryness as you can feasibly use. Brew to about 8-9% alcohol. Add about 40% of grist weight as sugar.
3. Boil with no hops added at all.
4. Ferment with neutral lager yeast and Maturex enzyme to control diacetyl (no lagering required)
5. Filter through DE, add to bright beer tank, dilute to packaging strength, add light-stable tetra-hydro-iso-hop-extract, chillproofer (papain) and PGA to increase what little head retention is left
Actually pretty difficult to make a homebrew with as little flavour as commercial Aussie lager swill!

Nice instructions DJR. I can see a lot of beginner brewers asking that TED question, trying to make it and thinking, "this doesn't taste like TED, but damn, it's kinda nice!" What else can I make?" and an obsession/addiction with great beers is started.

Go to your LHBS and buy a tin of dry lager and a kilo of destrose. No extra hops, no extra malt. Ferment at 18 degrees. After fermentation has finished, leave a week. Add finings, wait two days and bottle.

TED is not a high benchmark. Eventually homebrewers realise they have been victims of advertising. Dry means lacking in flavour. The Aussie megabeers are low on hops, malt and flavour. They are served overcarbonated and very close to zero degrees, both of which mask the remaining flavour. Generally, steer clear of beer sold in clear or green bottles, labelled cold filtered, dry, low carbohydrate. You end up drinking fizzy stained water with a hint of malt, bitterness and some nice pleasing alcohol.

Rather than trying to brew to match your bottles, have a read on the threads about sourcing bottles. See if you can find some nice Coopers bottles to fill. A decent benchmark to aim for. You could even buy some Coopers and drink the contents, a great way of obtaining more bottles. Buy some of the premium Coopers range of kits from your HBS and use the ingredients as listed on the tins. They include plenty of malt. Also, read the thread on culturing the yeast from Coopers bottles.

Most HBS now stock better quality all malt 3kg brews which are great.

Have always liked the Hobgoblin T-Shirt, "What's the matter lagerboy, afraid of a little flavour?"

Correct punctuation, spelling and grammar makes questions and answers on forums easier to read and respond to.

Be gentle with him guys, 15-20 year ago I considered Tooheys New to be drinkable as well. :blink:

wellihaveneverunderstoodwhyweneedpunctationorspacesbetweenthewords... :)

why is it that when someone asks the simple question of does anyone have a recipe for ... tooheys new , carlton cold,Extra dry etc etc , do we have an outpour of why would you wanna make that crap anyway, not a great way to encourage someone into home brewing at all if thats what someones tastes prefer either help them out with a recipe or say nothing dont ridicule them for liking something which perhaps you dont ....

and remember that it was more than likely one of the beers theyre asking about that you first drank anyway , and probably tried to replicate it when YOU started home brewing just like them...

thats my 2c worth of bitch for the week ...

cheers guys , time for a brew ...

OK then now how about if I give the forum a chance to steer me into the right direction to produce a beer from kits thats gonna make me say 'damn why did i leave the game'.
the equipment i have is as follows: coopers home brew starter kit, and a brigalow starter kit and my fridge to store my bottles when there ready I used to make 2 brews 1 in each fermenter left for a week then bottled, now i have been told to leave in one fermenter for 1 week, then transfer to second fermenter for 2nd week......can someone give me a recipe and method to kick start..
I had alot of tang in my brews after bottled for 3months or more just using coopers kits anyway I have been studying the forum all morning please help me guys I love my beer I enjoy making it just want to enjoy drinking it to :(

why is it that when someone asks the simple question of does anyone have a recipe for ... tooheys new , carlton cold,Extra dry etc etc , do we have an outpour of why would you wanna make that crap anyway, not a great way to encourage someone into home brewing at all if thats what someones tastes prefer either help them out with a recipe or say nothing dont ridicule them for liking something which perhaps you dont ....

and remember that it was more than likely one of the beers theyre asking about that you first drank anyway , and probably tried to replicate it when YOU started home brewing just like them...

thats my 2c worth of bitch for the week ...

cheers guys , time for a brew ...

thanks mate as i intended it to be a starting point as something LIKE ted but the forum knows whats best get me them recipes I will try them all EXCEPT STOUT :eek: ARRGHHH gross that stuff although guiness is quite nice but prefer lager or draught recipes

A foolproof kit beer:

Coopers Australian Pale Ale
750g dry light malt extract
250g dextrose
20g Hallertau hops

Combine ingredients in 21 litres of water. Stir till your arm drops. Add kit yeast and maintain at about 20C for a week. Rack to second fermenter after 1 week, bottle one further week.

Easy to make, drinkable kit.

"why is it that when someone asks the simple question of does anyone have a recipe for ... tooheys new , carlton cold,Extra dry etc etc , do we have an outpour of why would you wanna make that crap anyway, not a great way to encourage someone into home brewing at all if thats what someones tastes prefer either help them out with a recipe or say nothing dont ridicule them for liking something which perhaps you dont ....""

Damn good comment Barra.

If someone asks for a Guinnes, Kilkenny or Coopers copy then they will be swamped with recipies.

Most "swill"drinkers will only drink swill, so if someone wants to make a beer similar to that style, then they have every right to expect some kind of help.

After reading DJR's guidlines, making a decent TED could actually be rather difficult to achieve. Actually it looks rather challenging.

Dare some of you AG'rs out their to give it a go.....

I would but to busy working out my dark beers... :ph34r:

Back