Tooheys Extra Dry Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went for this today -

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Extra Dry Clone
Brewer: TheWiggman
Asst Brewer:
Style: Standard American Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 27.84 l
Post Boil Volume: 25.48 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 22.25 l
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 19.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.2 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.60 kg Joe White Export Pilsner (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 80.0 %
0.40 kg Joe White Traditional Ale (6.9 EBC) Grain 4 8.9 %
0.40 kg Rice, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 5 8.9 %
1.0 pkg Danish Lager (Wyeast Labs #2042) [124.21 Yeast 8 -
0.10 kg Acid Malt (5.9 EBC) Grain 6 2.2 %
3.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
24.00 g Pride of Ringwood [8.10 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop 7 19.8 IBUs
2.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 4.50 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 14.45 l of water at 68.6 C 62.0 C 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min 75.6 C 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 20.90 l water at 75.6 C

Note that salts were split around 1:2 mash and sparge water, to suit Orange profile. I also added a 72°C rest.
Turned out very pale as expected. Tastes fine. Cubed. Yeast is on the stir plate as we speak and currently 2°C outside, so I may have to warm it all up a touch before pitching. Will report back in 8-ish weeks for progress.

Here's a protip - if you accidentally like a post you can't unlike it.

Kegged this yesterday, finishing at 1.011 which was spot on as calculated. Took about 3.5 weeks to reach 1.013 and got the last bit done at 4°C over the next week. Cold crashed to -1 for 3 days.
VERY light in colour and clear enough that I could see the yeast cake from the top of the fermenter. Then I recalled the lightness of a TEDs and is very similarly pale. Tasted quite good, had a hint of that characteristic mouse piss flavour about is that drives the Aussie pubgoers wild. Had a certain sharpness about it which is probably attributable to the rice. Looking forward to a side by side with a TEDs (as much as one can).

Going to lager further for at least 2 weeks and will be tasting on 12/9 at the earliest.

I lied. Took a sample last night for education's sake and here's how it looked -

IMG_3059.JPG
Tooheys%20extra%20dry.jpg

Colour isn't far off compared to the commercial example. Clarity not there because I didn't clarify apart from eth crash chill. I don't really care.

Tastewise I was a little floored to be honest. Sharp bite which I'd attribute to the rice and is a character I haven't had in a home brew before. Has a residual sweetness typical of young lagers I've done before so still needs more lagering to peak. However... tastes very similar to Extra Dry. It does lack the 'dry' in TED who you could argue is a good thing. I think to fully pull it off you really need to drying enzyme. It does however have the mouse piss character which I was going for, and am stoked with the result. I could easily nail a few of these in an afternoon. Call it a guilty pleasure if you will.

It's drinkable now but I have other beers in kegs which I'll consume first. Will wait a few weeks for my mate to critique once the bottles have carbed and lagered a touch. Really looking forward to polishing off this keg. Maybe halve the rice and increase the ale malt to 20/80 to get it that bit closer.

Like Extra Dry? Try this recipe!

In the recipe - Danish Lager (Wyeast Labs #2042).
Stepped up once from 500ml to 2.5l.

Latest posts

Back