Tooheys Extra Dry Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done this alot before as I stated i got out of it for about a year I know things I have done wrong now which hopefully will help i have been reading this site pretty much all day along with others I found after a while using dextrose in brews just made taste weird i did have fun with brew blends from my LHBS but as i said made some mistakes thanx guys and cheers cant till 5 months down the track commin back to this and saying guys its all good

I did'nt want this to become a debate topic sorry to those i offended in asking for a brew recipe LIKE TED i will refresh
I would like to make a brew that has the taste of a dry is beautiful chilled will make a win by my st george dragons that touch sweeter, or a loss easier to cope with......a drink that gonna say damn thats good and make mates say were do i buy the stater kit, and tooheys says how much for the recipe?hahahaha no something like that

mate dont worry about it i probably offended more people with my reply than you with your original post...

anyway , welcome to the forums , youve had a taste of what its all about on here now , as others have said search , search search the threads here there is a mountain of information on recipes of all descriptions ...

as duff said once you start experimenting and getting in a little deeper you will unravel a whole new world of flavors and styles .. ENJOY !

I know this comes from the other side of the fence, but i think it's quite relevant to most aussie beer-coloured alcoholic lawnmower fizzy drinks.

This comes straight from the Foster's website...

5 Steps to the Perfect Beer

How to pour the perfect beer

1. The glass:
Get a proper beer glass; one that's a good full shape and curves in a little at the top to trap the beer's aromas. Take one of these, make sure it is scrupulously clean, and chill it in the fridge for an hour or so.

2. The beer:
Beer is never better than when it is delivered from the brewer. It does not improve with age; in fact, over time it will lose some of the crispness of it's flavour. So, for the perfect beer, choose a bottle that hasn't been hanging around the house too long.

3. The temperature:
This varies with personal taste and with the style of beer. For most Australian lager-style beers, something around typical household refrigerator temperatures (2 to 3 deg C) is fine.

4. Pouring:
Slosh some beer into the bottom of the glass to form a head. Then gently pour the beer directly onto the foam to break any large bubbles and pack the head. Leave for a short period to "age" the foam, then tilt the glass and fill carefully. Straighten the glass as it fills and keep pouring until the collar or head just froths over the rim of the glass.
Tip: The bitterness of the hops tends to be most concentrated in the foam of the head, so if you like a good hit of hops to jolt the tastebuds, give yourself a more generous head and sip the beer through it.

5. Savouring the beer:
Bring the glass to your lips and inhale gently to take in the aroma of the beer. This will awaken your tastebuds to the flavours that are to follow. Then sip, letting the cool beer flow over the tongue so you savour the full complexity of the flavour. Perfect!

I am particularly fond of step two, step four, and step five is pretty funny too.

Hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did. :)

Thanks for sharing that with the board. It is on the internet at a professional site, it must all be true.

Surely you'd set your sights higher than TED tho? Why not at least a premium lager?
Is TED Platinum a true premium, though? It's prob only undiluted TED. An Aussie malt liquor...that's my call.

Anyway TED was one of the best beers available at the BDO recently, except for Cascade Premium (light). The Melb & Vic Bitters were the other option, unless you wanted to pay about $6 for a plastic cup of JD and Dry/lemonade/cola (ppoured from a can).

Go the TED clone. I'd be happy to judge it amongst the the Aussie lagers at the next NSW State comp.

Seth out :p

(*Edit: Check out the local lhbs's for ideas. I may even see you at one, one day. I'll be wearing the Arrogant shirt, and may even offer you a sample of something scary or weird).

I tried to drink one at a BDO a few years ago, my friend bought it for me (before consulting me first). This was about 11am, first drink of the day, I took a sip (out of courtesy) and instantly vomitted all over the ground.

I tried TED's Platinum a while ago out of curiousity, and can honestly say that it tastes like watered down out of date white cask wine. To me, there's nothing "beery" about it. Almost everyone i know that has tried it and isn't a dedicated lawnmower lager enthusiast agrees that it tastes like goon.

I once witnessed a digital temperature display on the side of a dedicated TED's Platinum fridge in a bar, and the temperature fluctuated between -4 and -6 degrees. I didn't quite believe this, so later asked a rep at a TEDP stand at a beer festval. He seemed quite excited/enthused by this fact, and insisted that it was fantastic that the higher alcohol content meant it could be served at sub zero temperatures, because the public want a cleaner, crisper beer. Too bad if they wanted to taste what they're drinking.

Congrats to Tooheys for the fantastic ad campaigns though, at least they're spending money somewhere in the brewing process.

TED platinum tastes like a drier TED (is there such a thing) with an alcoholic aftertaste, even when served at -2C. The cleaner, crisper taste alright.

Fortunately, you don't have to pay upwards of $6 a bottle for this amazingly "refreshing"... "beer"!

2 shots of nasty cheap ass vodka, water, a bit of colouring, iso-hop oils for some head, bottle and carbonate!

Who needs yeast to make beer?!

Is TED Platinum a true premium, though? It's prob only undiluted TED. An Aussie malt liquor...that's my call.

TED Plat is not considered a premium it is considered a super mainstream. Not quite premium but just enough not to look wanky. It really is a youth brand developed to compete against RTDs. In fact people at clubs mix it with red bull as it is much cheaper than buying an RTD. Lion Nathan and Fosters both have different views on selling higher ABV brands. Fosters at the moment does not have a strategy to go into that segment, while Lion has created it with Ted Plat and XXXX Special Brew. Ted Plat is selling through the roof with very little marketing or advertising. When developing brands towards youth. Taste is not a huge part of the development. Image and branding are number one. I dont mind the odd Ted or Ted Plat when I really want to get fall down pissed!!. After all why waste the good stuff :chug:

Holy hell, TED platinum and red bull? Can you say "Tastes like arse!"?

Hi guys I have some ingredients can you help me sort the mix out let me know what you would recomend with what I have got:

Tooheys special lager kit 1.7kg
Coopers light dry malt 500g
Coopers brew enhancer 2 1kg
Coopers dextrose 1kg
Brigalow beer clearing agent

I am gonna use hops next week so a week from today when I secondary ferment what hops would you recomend?

the clearing agent gets added the secondary ferment as well is that correct?

I know I was gonna make a dry but you guys turned me away so I got all the ingredients above to start with I know if I use it all it will spoil the brew but some of the dextrose I want for bulk primming anyway any thoughts?

Hi guys I have some ingredients can you help me sort the mix out let me know what you would recomend with what I have got:

Coopers dextrose 1kg
I am gonna use hops next week so a week from today when I secondary ferment what hops would you recomend?

I know I was gonna make a dry but you guys turned me away so I got all the ingredients above to start with I know if I use it all it will spoil the brew but some of the dextrose I want for bulk primming anyway any thoughts?

Ok, for something like TED I'd use all of your ingredients but the 1Kg of Coopers Dextrose. Set that aside for bottle priming in the future... 1KG will do many batches.

I also suggest you go to a Home Brew store and get yourself some Saflager Dried Yeast, as the stuff with the can is crap. If you can't hold your brew at lager temperatures, get some safale yeast to ferment at ale temps. Fermentation is the most important thing next to sanitation, it is the yeast making your beer. If you keep the yeast happy at its favourite temperature, it will reward you with great beer.

Things to look at for the future...
Read www.howtobrew.com and try some of the recipes and advise there.
Look into some liquid yeasts, as they are great.

Coopers dextrose 1kg

You were after the thinnest lager you could make, weren't you?
Add the 1kg dextrose to the special lager kit. Let this ferment at 18-20 degrees. The instructions will say 24C or something like that, but ignore it.

I'm not really sure on the clearing agent as I've never used it before. You might not need it if you're going to do secondary fermentation.

If you have the means, a good thing to do after secondary is keep all of the beer in a cold (4C or lower) fridge for a week or two before you bottle it.

If you have the means, a good thing to do after secondary is keep all of the beer in a cold (4C or lower) fridge for a week or two before you bottle it.
[/quote]

I will try that...
you mean leave it in the secondary fermenter for a week or 2 b4 bottling what does this do never heard of that before?

you mean leave it in the secondary fermenter for a week or 2 b4 bottling what does this do never heard of that before?

Leaving the beer in the secondary for a month at about 4 degrees is called 'lagering'. Basically it helps the beer mature better and gives better clarity (although this isn't a big deal if you're using kit). Have a search for lagering on this site and it will give you heaps of info on it - I'm trying it for the first time myself right now...

I will try that...

See Phonos' description of lagering. You might not even need to use the clearing agent, the lagering will clear up your beer for you.
It's the main reason I don't brew a lot of lagers - it takes too bloody long!

That extra Kg of Dextrose will give it a cidery/metalic taste... Do what you want but I don't agree with this... that coopers brew enhancer already has plenty of dextrose in it.

That extra Kg of Dextrose will give it a cidery/metalic taste... Do what you want but I don't agree with this... that coopers brew enhancer already has plenty of dextrose in it.

I'm not familiar with what's in Brew Enhancer #2, and I assumed it would have too much in the way of non-fermentables for the effect he's trying to achieve.

I'm not familiar with what's in Brew Enhancer #2, and I assumed it would have too much in the way of non-fermentables for the effect he's trying to achieve.

From the coopers website:

Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 contains dextrose, maltodextrin and Light Dry Malt. The dextrose will ferment out completely with no residual cidery flavours whilst the maltodextrin does not ferment thus improving the body, mouthfeel and head retention. The Light Dry Malt, being 100% pale malt, will further add to the body and increase the malt character of your favourite brew. Great for use with any beer styles where a fuller, maltier flavour is preferred.

It is mainly dextrose. When it mentions adding to the body and malt character, it is compared to a standard kit and kilo of sugar. It still falls way short of a normal beer, but with the extra malt I recon it will be about right.

Here is some info on fermentables from a good article to read for you kit brewers... http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/webcontent39.htm :

Dextrose: - A simple clean fermenting sugar derived from wheat starch. Commences fermentation faster, creates a cleaner drier finish & tends to give less sediment.

Maltodextron (Corn Syrup): - Made from wheat starch, this is one of the best ingredients used to increase body & mouthfeel. Being only 30% fermentable, the remaining solids thicken the beer producing a creamy head that hangs on the glass.

Light & Dark Powdered Malts: - Produced from malted barley, malt is the prime ingredient of beer. The additions of extra malts to your brew increases both body and malt flavour. Liquid malts will also give same results. See Liquid Malts

Lactose: - Non fermentable sugar derived from milk. Used as a natural sweetener that also produces extra body. Mainly used in Milk Stout recipes.

I ahve made my brew up using ingredients of
can kit off cause
tooheys lager 1.7kg
850g of brew enhancer
100g light dry malt
and yeast that came with the kit
apon secendary ferment I am thinking of adding pride of ringwood hops does any1 reckomend a hop which would be good for secondary ferment? ifso any reply to this please go to the tooheys lager thread which is about this brew cheers guys love the help

Back