Tooheys Extra Dry Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have a good look through this too saint:

www.hbkitreviews.com

lots of ideas to get you going.
Cheers
Steve

Dare some of you AG'rs out their to give it a go.....

Why would anyone work hard at a difficult process (I won't use the word "recipe") to produce a beer that they don't like? I'd be hard-pressed to find a craft brewer who likes TED. You might find someone interested in making a pale beer to placate their swill drinking mates, but... why????

i will try your recipe post modern and any1 elses if it suites I am creating a folder with these recipes and surely give them all a try

You're right Barra, but at least i provided some advice! Whether or not the people do like it is another matter altogether - each to their own!

My point is though that we are force-fed beer with as little flavour as possible in order to offend the least number of people - unfortunately that means that if you want something that actually has some flavour (like LCPA) be prepared to pay via the nose for it! So little wonder that us homebrewers tend to like the more flavoursome examples.

That said i don't mind a decent "lawnmower" beer after or on a hot day, but i like a Kolsch, Cream ale or good 'ol APA rather than a typical pale lager.

Anyway, i don't think that people will be attempting to replicate the recipe i posted - for one thing, most of the adjuncts listed there are pretty useless to the homebrewer in the quantities you would have to buy. You could just make a 60% lager malt 40% sucrose 15IBU with POR lager with some Danish lager yeast at 15C, lager for a week or two and be done with it.

Why would anyone work hard at a difficult process (I won't use the word "recipe") to produce a beer that they don't like? I'd be hard-pressed to find a craft brewer who likes TED. You might find someone interested in making a pale beer to placate their swill drinking mates, but... why????

Reaches for flame suit

Maybe they want to make for their mates who think that all HB is sh#t and only real beer comes from the Bottle

I have mates who only drink mega, but would be tempted to make a beer that they would like to help bust the HB stigma

Reaches for flame suit

Maybe they want to make for their mates who think that all HB is sh#t and only real beer comes from the Bottle

I have mates who only drink mega, but would be tempted to make a beer that they would like to help bust the HB stigma

Surely you'd set your sights higher than TED tho? Why not at least a premium lager?

You're right Barra, but at least i provided some advice! Whether or not the people do like it is another matter altogether - each to their own!

wasnt havin a go at you or anyone for that matter ben , just gets at me that some of the more 'accomplished" brewers seem to continually feel the need to put peoples choices down (have seen it on forums more than once now), when it would be just as easy to say hey do this this and this but have a go at this next time and compare the difference , not many people started homebrewing at all grain level, most of us started in the tin and bag section and progressed from there to specialty grains , and hops then onto partials and then perhaps onto all grains ..
all im trying to say without rambling is lets not turn new home brewers off doing anything as a result of being shut down for merely asking if anyone has a recipe for their current favorite beer , we all have to start somewhere...

by the way saint wheres WINDALE ??

parole / control orders still killing your social life Vlad ?

by the way saint wheres WINDALE ??
[/quote]

windale is in newcastle, lake macqaurie have you heard of charlestown, well next to that?

I did'nt want this to become a debate topic sorry to those i offended in asking for a brew recipe LIKE TED i will refresh

I would like to make a brew that has the taste of a dry is beautiful chilled will make a win by my st george dragons that touch sweeter, or a loss easier to cope with......a drink that gonna say damn thats good and make mates say were do i buy the stater kit, and tooheys says how much for the recipe?hahahaha no something like that

I did'nt want this to become a debate topic sorry to those i offended in asking for a brew recipe LIKE TED i will refresh

Why? Don't apologise, my very first post on AHB I was searching for a clone of Tiger beer :) And don't worry about the standard cats piss, etc., usual responses to topics like this, I'm with Barramundi 100% we all start somewhere.

Once you start making your own and experimenting, you'll realise there's a whole new world of flavours.

Cheers.

Why? Don't apologise, my very first post on AHB I was searching for a clone of Tiger beer :) And don't worry about the standard cats piss, etc., usual responses to topics like this, I'm with Barramundi 100% we all start somewhere.

Once you start making your own and experimenting, you'll realise there's a whole new world of flavours.

Cheers.

just want to keep the peace mate did you get that clone for tiger beer?if so was it alright? I just got back a cartoon of 24 stubbies I gave away last october of guiness clone it's now 9 months old waiting to try it its in the freezer cooling :chug:

jdsaint, the recipe I posted above, btw, will come out nothing like TED. It's just a light innoffensive pale ale. Should be quite approachable by any beer drinker. If you really like the thinness of TEDs, tho, pay more attention to DJR's post and get yourself some industrial enzymes.

The thing is, most of us homebrewers like a natural beer, made from real malt, real hops and a nice yeast, rather than the industrial enzymes and isomerised extracts, etc that the big breweries (by necessity) use. If I come across as anti-TED, this is the reason. It's not ~real~ beer. Sure there's malt in it and there's fermentation as part of the manufacturing process, but it's a long long way from what I and others do at home when we make "beer".

jdsaint, the recipe I posted above, btw, will come out nothing like TED. It's just a light innoffensive pale ale. Should be quite approachable by any beer drinker. If you really like the thinness of TEDs, tho, pay more attention to DJR's post and get yourself some industrial enzymes.

The thing is, most of us homebrewers like a natural beer, made from real malt, real hops and a nice yeast, rather than the industrial enzymes and isomerised extracts, etc that the big breweries (by necessity) use. If I come across as anti-TED, this is the reason. It's not ~real~ beer. Sure there's malt in it and there's fermentation as part of the manufacturing process, but it's a long long way from what I and others do at home when we make "beer".

dont sweat it mate i just really used it as a starter I want ot try something some1 has tried and liked themself as to ur recipe is the only one their so i will try that i know we all have different tastes but frankley none of mine turned out so i went off it but know want to get back in for good and have my family drink mine ask me for beer first before going to the local bottlo

dont sweat it mate i just really used it as a starter I want ot try something some1 has tried and liked themself as to ur recipe is the only one their so i will try that i know we all have different tastes but frankley none of mine turned out so i went off it but know want to get back in for good and have my family drink mine ask me for beer first before going to the local bottlo

Good luck there, mate. Get a few decent beers down so that you're comfortable with the fermentation and bottling side of things, then work out where you want to take the hobby. In the meantime, read read read read read. There are tons of excellent posts in this forum, covering everything from your basic questions (asked and answered lots of times), thru recipe discussions at all levels from kits to All Grain and everything in between. Use the Search function above. Read www.howtobrew.com once you have a level of comfort with the kits, read other brewing forums, www.hbkitreviews.com and so on. It takes time, and really, it's better if you search for the answers you're after rather than asking a million questions. 1. You'll learn more than you were looking for if you search and 2. if you keep posting threads about things that have been asked and answered lots of times before, people will get tired of answering. ;)

The kit beers at the LHBS labelled dry lager include a sachet of enzyme to give you the dry character. Add one kilo of dextrose and you are there.

Brewing beer is a long learning curve, and one step along the way is all of what DJR said about marketing and most commercial megabeers lacking true beer character.

Have a read of the thread that Drewcarey started about the best kit and kilo recipes, lots of great ideas there. Also the Mexican beer thread will have lots of ideas for you.

(Trying to refrain from mentioning sanitation, temperature control and patience)

Back