Think we have an infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losp

Reaction score
I put a dark lager in 7 days ago. scrubbed the fermenter and then used star san.

OG: 1059
22 Litres + 4 litre starter (tipped everything in after 20 or so hours). Wyeast 2308
after 7 days its already 1015

I have another one (munich lager II, OG: 1054) that went in there on the same day its still only 1040. I did notice the brew fridge smelled a little more than usual.

I just cant figure it out. tasting it, i cant tell if its normal or infected. May seem minor, but i just cant be arsed lagering for another couple of months if i have already f*cked it up
I wish i had better ability to figure out if this thing is infected or not. You would think after brewing 50 or so brews i would have figured this game out by now.
Are there any particular signs that you think could help me identify an infection?

Thanks.

When you say scrubbed, what did you actually use to clean the fermenter? If it was a brush with bristles or an abrasive cleaning pad then it's definitely going to increase the chance of an infection IMO

Munich Lager II, Please tell us a) Yeast strain b) Yeast health/quality c) Pitching Rate d) Fermentation Temp

Does it smell of sulphur (egg fart) or sourness?

Screwy

joshF said:
When you say scrubbed, what did you actually use to clean the fermenter? If it was a brush with bristles or an abrasive cleaning pad then it's definitely going to increase the chance of an infection IMO
No, it was a Nylon pad Iv'e always used these. is there a problem?

Screwtop said:
Munich Lager II, Please tell us a) Yeast strain B) Yeast health/quality c) Pitching Rate d) Fermentation Temp

Does it smell of sulphur (egg fart) or sourness?

Screwy
Thanks for responding screwy,
the munich lager 2 was in the other fermenter (my fridge fits 2) which smells and tastes OK (is currently sitting on 1.040). That went in the same day with a 4 Litre starter as well. That's a Wyeast Private collection 2352.

The one that I think is infected is a wyeast 2308, i pitched a smack pack into a 4 litre starter at 13 degrees, left it in there for about 20 hours, pitched into the wort at 12 degrees. No idea about my pitching rate. I did have nearly 24 hours (the first day) of the thing being up at 18/19 degrees as a result of issues with the temperature controller.

I cant smell any sulphur. Kind of smells like off oranges if that makes any sense?
When i taste it i get almost nothing (i mean not much taste at all) then a strange sort of bitter taste (something completely different to the hersbrucker i put in).

losp said:
No, it was a Nylon pad Iv'e always used these. is there a problem?
If it's a plastic fermenter I would not use any for of mechanical cleaning. The plastic is quite soft, and you can create microscopic scratches in the plastic that can harbour bacteria. When I clean my fermenters I just use unscented napisan (or PBW) and fill with hot water. Leave overnight and rinse, there is no need to wipe it out as the napisan will leave it spotless.

GalBrew said:
If it's a plastic fermenter I would not use any for of mechanical cleaning. The plastic is quite soft, and you can create microscopic scratches in the plastic that can harbour bacteria. When I clean my fermenters I just use unscented napisan (or PBW) and fill with hot water. Leave overnight and rinse, there is no need to wipe it out as the napisan will leave it spotless.
That could be it. I usually soak mine overnight as well. But this time i didn't, because i had been reading online that most people just use the no rinse and that's it. usually I soak, rinse then use star-san.

Its very depressing when this happens!! A full days work and money just down the drain.

losp said:
That could be it. I usually soak mine overnight as well. But this time i didn't, because i had been reading online that most people just use the no rinse and that's it. usually I soak, rinse then use star-san.

Its very depressing when this happens!! A full days work and money just down the drain.
Yep, soak, rinse and starsan. That is exactly what I do, never had an infection. :beerbang:

losp said:
I cant smell any sulphur. Kind of smells like off oranges if that makes any sense?
When i taste it i get almost nothing (i mean not much taste at all) then a strange sort of bitter taste (something completely different to the hersbrucker i put in).
would you liken the smell to "burned rubber" ? that can mean a large quantity of dead yeast cells.... rotting oranges smell can be caused by mould which could be an infected starter...

i've noticed some of that rotting orange smell in many ales, personally i dont like it but some pallets dont seem to mind it and suggest its "fruity". if you dont like it, I would also not waste time lagering it... in my experience lagering never "corrects" faults, it just makes subtle improvements...

Back