Thermometer in BIAB keggle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoopsOz

Reaction score
G'day all,
I'm in the process of building a simple 1V BIAB keggle. I have a question regarding the thermometer placement. I notice most people seem to put it above the tap, is there a reason for this? I intend to build a faux false bottom à la QLD Kev's setup IOT keep the bag from scorching and think this will be unnecessarily high with the thermometer above the tap. An reason why it can't be positioned beside the tap?

If it is a probe therm, then there is a 'chance' the bag could catch on removal causing issues...

You may find a hand held therm a better option, that way you can check the mash in a few spots to check consistency of the temp.

A probe through the wall of the vessel may not really represent the actual grain temp, when a hand held, probing into the grain would be closer to the mark... and the catching on bag problems, as above...

I know its cool to have a mounted dial probe but think about functionality in this case.

Once you go 3v, you will be able to have them mounted :p

Last comment, just jokes - but rest being 2c [AUD = 1.78 USD]

Cheers

Cheers Cocko, I'll look for a hand held jobbie with a long probe.

On a Friday night the double entendre leap out from the page....

Oh, I agree with Cocko by the way. Plus, from my (very) limited experience and understanding, unless you have some sort recirculation through your mash tun there will always be variances in temperature in different spots...BIAB or otherwise. edit - so the hand job with the long probe sounds about right.

I prefer hand jobs sans probe. Each to their own, others will tell me I'm wrong.

I've placed my thermometer to the top right of the tap, almost having the dial touch the valve. Top left, the tap handle would be smashing into the dial face.

No problems with catching as I have a pizza tray on steel bolts lifting the bag from the bottom and above the *cough* probe.

Gas or electric?

If I was to build my 1V rig again I wouldn't bother with a pot mounted thermometer

edit: I also prefer it my hand jobs don't involve a probe of any kind

Thanks all, I appreciate the input.

A hend held therm it is.

@Brad81 - At this stage I intend to go electric although I'm yet to mount the element. I have both the element and a Rambo 3 ring burner on hand so if the general concensus is gas I'm happy to change my plans. I'm all for drilling one less gigantic hole into stupidly hard, tool destroying stainless.

I am looking at getting a thermometer for my BIAB kettle to measure mash temps and came across this:
http://www.amazon.com/General-MDP300PP-Panel-External-Sensor/dp/B001TOJFWA

Has anyone used this or something similar? I like the idea of having probe that I can sit right amongst the grain so I can monitor the temps without having to open the lid. The only concerns would be accuracy and durability of a unit like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back