Opinions on my 1v keggle set up....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken_gilchrist

Reaction score
Hello AHBers,
I have been home brewing for several years now but have only ever used extract and sugar, until recently when a work colleague got me onto trying partial mash brewing and I have made some great beers. I am now keen to step into the world of all grain brewing, I have a basic understanding of all grain brewing thanks to reading a few books and the several partial mashes I have now decided to build a one vessel set-up, however I would like to keep the whole system as simple and "automated" as possible. I have procured a 50 liter keg that I have since cut the top out and I intend on making a single vessel keggle to do my all grain brewing in, I would like to keep the brew process as simple as possible but still get full enjoyment out of the build and also the brewing.

I have also already purchased a "Mathos Controller" for the automation side of things. I have watched hours of YouTube videos and read many forums on different setups and I have taken the ideas I like and incorporated them to the keggle as much as possible.

The design I have come up with is not dissimilar from many out there and is a system that I envisage I will have to use a basket to keep the grain off the element, the "basket" that I will most likely use is one from a crab cooking kit,(like the one used here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ3gsx-Lx9Y) it is quite large and I imagine would hold around 5-6 kg of grain, I would most likely still have to use a BIAB as the holes are large enough for grain to flow through (I would prefer to not use a bag if possible). My other and preferred option is to use a 22 liter stainless steel pot like this (http://www.equipmenttraders.com.au/614/Stainless-Steel-Bucket%2c-22Lt%2c-270mm-Dia-x-380mm-H/pd.php) and either drilling lots of holes or even cutting the bottom off and getting a false bottom welded on. I also like the whirlpool idea found on QldKevs YouTube video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbPAxWFB65s) and would like to include that and also the tabs to hold the basket when draining and sparging.

Can anyone give me some advice and other ideas to help me ion the build? I appreciate the time and advice and I look forward to getting feedback and ideas and then starting my build. Thanks again.

Regards
Ken Gilchrist

Option one.jpg

Looks like you're well on the way to making a sound rig. What's the purpose of the two drain points on the base?
Other advice? Don't use a Keg King element.

Thanks TheWiggman.
The main drain point in the centre is for the 1/2 inch ball valve to empty the vessel, the idea of the other is a pick up for the return system. I am thinking I could probably combine the two to minimise fittings in the keggel. I havent decided on that on yet

Latest posts

Back