The Yeast Bay strains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey nick are you going to get the amalgamation - brett super blend in stock and if so when?

Hopefully sooner rather than later. There's a big MOQ on the Yeast Bay strains, so I will need to move the current varieties before I can justify importing another load.

I just made a saison with the Saison/Brett Blend
simple grain bill, Crystal and Mt Hood to 36 IBUs.
Pitched yeast and poured in no chill cube, full krausen in 8 hours.
24hrs later, have yeast coming out of airlock, and is bubbling at 1 bubble a second...
Temps are a ambient 23D.

Ive used Brett strains before and have similar results..
They love the heat..
Too scared to do a gravity reading..
Smells.. fruity but funky. I get tropical fruits, with a earthy funk.

I'm using the Wallonian Farmhouse strain for the first time and I'm flying pretty much blind. On top of that I'm also using new equipment so this is quite a learning experience, if something drinkable comes of it that will be a bonus :unsure: I made a starter assuming a the vial contained 100 billion cells (which seems to be confirmed by Fattox' BeerSmith files) and pitched at 20°C. After 13 hours I had to fit a blow off tube as the brew was going walkies - didn't leave much head space but that's another story). Am now ramping the temp up 1°C per day to reach 23°C. Interesting to see what happens. Any comments / suggestions most welcome. Oh and a huge thanks to Nick for sorting out OZ Post!

Looks good Ivars, just chill and let the yeast do its magic..
I've used this strain, its great.. turned out an awsome brew. Even if I did use too much Star anise.

I've just pitched two beers on some of their products. First is a berliner Weisse with some WLP672 lacto brevis, wyeast 1007 and the Brussels Brett blend. I have to actually pitch the Brett yet but I also have a 20% rye saison that was pitched on their saison blend and the beersel Brett blend. 4 days and it's already dropped 40 points and has a super funky note, which is working very well with the rye and accentuating that earthy/spicy character with some over ripe fruit tones. It should be a cracker beer, my first sample tasted absolutely top notch

Sounds tops! What went in to your saison?

ivars said:
I'm using the Wallonian Farmhouse strain for the first time and I'm flying pretty much blind. On top of that I'm also using new equipment so this is quite a learning experience, if something drinkable comes of it that will be a bonus :unsure: I made a starter assuming a the vial contained 100 billion cells (which seems to be confirmed by Fattox' BeerSmith files) and pitched at 20°C. After 13 hours I had to fit a blow off tube as the brew was going walkies - didn't leave much head space but that's another story). Am now ramping the temp up 1°C per day to reach 23°C. Interesting to see what happens. Any comments / suggestions most welcome. Oh and a huge thanks to Nick for sorting out OZ Post!
ivars, each of their Sacc strain vials contains 80 billion cells. This info is tucked away near the bottom of the Product Info page on their website!

Nick R said:
Sounds tops! What went in to your saison?
My saison was (20 litre batch @ 85% efficiency) 4kg Dingemans Pils, 540g flaked unmalted rye, 500g malted rye, and approx. 450g of Simplicity Candi Sugar. Mashed at 67, fermented with the Saison Blend (not the Saison Brett, I clearly wasn't paying attention when I ordered it!) and the Beersel Brett blend. It's a shame you're down in Sydney but I might send a bottle each of the BW and the Saison when they finish up, and maybe my version of Heady Topper at the same time. It's cubed at the moment until the sours are OK to come out of the bigger fridge, or until I empty the keg in the small fridge (whichever is first!!)

Bottled the Saison Blend last week which was tasting ok, but smelling awesome after a serious dry hop of Enigma. I stuck to my usual 4g/L ratio and that's one potent hop. Definitely unique like they say it is.

More interesting and exciting though is the Saison Brett blend. This sucker has been in primary for 4 weeks now. Drew a sample off and pow, it's tasting awesome. OG was 1.048 and it's now down to 1.007. This one has me much more excited than the other blend. It's tropical, bretty and finishes quite dry, one of those beers i could've drawn a pint off the fermenter.

Another vial of Wallonian has arrived and i'm going to dry a bigger grist with some rye.

BilBrewing said:
Bottled the Saison Blend last week which was tasting ok, but smelling awesome after a serious dry hop of Enigma. I stuck to my usual 4g/L ratio and that's one potent hop. Definitely unique like they say it is.

More interesting and exciting though is the Saison Brett blend. This sucker has been in primary for 4 weeks now. Drew a sample off and pow, it's tasting awesome. OG was 1.048 and it's now down to 1.007. This one has me much more excited than the other blend. It's tropical, bretty and finishes quite dry, one of those beers i could've drawn a pint off the fermenter.

Another vial of Wallonian has arrived and i'm going to dry a bigger grist with some rye.
What temperature have you got the Saison Brett brew sitting at BilBrewing?

The Brett blend has all been at ambient in my living room. Fermentation was around 18 and conditioning has been varying from 16-20.

Checked the Saison/Brett Blend yesterday and taadaa, pellicle! This is about 6 weeks into fermentation so far. Kind of mesmerising! Going to put in bottles soon and let them develop in there.

2014-10-15 18.36.06.jpg

Just about to keg a wallonian farmhouse. Started at 1.055 and down to 1.007. Smells and tastes great out of the fermenter. Fermented at 23.5. Started quickly and finished quickly. I look forward to ordering some more of these as my funk town bells two hearted ipa was the best beer I have made. Shame the first keg went so quick.

Dumped a vial of Saison Blend into... guess what? A saison. Really you say? Yep.
Love Belle Saison yeast and use it a lot so will be very interested to taste this.
Was a gift.

Had a look this morning and fermenting away quite happily. In fact I had a sneaky peak last night and there were signs of the yeast clumping on the surface - that was about 5 hours after pitching. Quick start!

Latest posts

Back