The Ultimate Brewing Rig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappo1970

Piss off or Buy Me A Beer
Reaction score
Fellow Brewerhood,

Whilst I know this topic will be a how long is a piece of string, how much money is too much money to spend on a rig and completely subjective to the individual brewer, I love full automation, I hate the idea of automation, I imagine, I am curious as to what you think would be the ultimate brewery? Anywho lets get started....

I am in the throws of planning Sherman Mk3, and whilst I was busily sketching schematics for plumbing, electrical, vessels, rig layout and a like it dawned on me that I am really starting from scratch, a blank canvass as it were. You see when I built my last two rigs they were just a progression from K&K to AG to more advanced AG brewing techniques. I more or less scavenged parts and bits as I went on from previous rigs, junk yards, other brewers and bought what I needed (sometimes what I didn't need either). I also had no real preconceived idea's when I was upgrading. Sure I researched and asked questions but now I am faced with knowledge. No only from what I learned along the way previously but also from what I seen, a lot of your rigs in the flesh, brew days etc. And I can say not one rig is the same as the other. Many brewers employ many different bits and pieces as well as methods and processes to get to basically the same result. Good Beer. But if you had the chance to start from a blank page what would you do?

I guess from my point of view some of the things I have jotted down as a design brief to myself for my ultimate rig are:

1. 3 vessel system capable of single and double batches
2. Easy to clean, pull down and set up
3. Incorporates HERMS (nothing against RIMS fella's it's just a little finicky for me)
4. Automated mashing incorporating the HERMS
5. All Stainless
6. As compact as possible so as to take up the least amount of space in the brewery (Sherman Mk1 and Mk2 were way too big and cumbersome)
7. Full electric rig.
8. All areas and plumbing easily accessible to fix on the fly or clean when needed.
9. Plug and play. In other words plug in the power and water, tip in the grains and way I go.
10. Bomb proof consistency.
11. Anti boil over device ( :lol: that would be the most over used part of the rig)

Anyway those are my thoughts to date but would be interested in hearing yours.

Cheers

Chap Chap

Walk before you run.

I suggest a few kit brews until you get the basics down.

Check this site out Chap Chap:

www.theelectricbrewery.com

It is a very neat system, probably covers most of the things you are looking for. I'm currently building a new rig (and learning to TIG at the same time) and I'm basing quite a bit of my setup around the design on here.

Cheers SJ

And if that's not what your after, check out the thread for the fully automated brewery by Bandito on here, if you start building now, you might get something up and running before he does!

Cheers SJ

Purchase a Baumeister. It meets most of your requirements. It's what I would do if I was starting over.

Walk before you run.

He is talking about a brew rig for kits.

ie. Kit + yeast bag + fermenter

automated fermenter cleaner

3. Incorporates HERMS (nothing against RIMS fella's it's just a little finicky for me)
recirc water from the pot his kit is in

robot arm to tip kit into fermenter

5. All Stainless
ss pot for the kit

6. As compact as possible so as to take up the least amount of space in the brewery (Sherman Mk1 and Mk2 were way too big and cumbersome)
max of a 1.7kg kit

7. Full electric rig.
electric can opener

8. All areas and plumbing easily accessible to fix on the fly or clean when needed.
small table to sit the kit onto

9. Plug and play. In other words plug in the power and water, tip in the grains and way I go.
temp controled herms

metal fermenter

11. Anti boil over device ( that would be the most over used part of the rig)
stop his kettle from over flowing incase he wants water for flushing his kit out and a coffee at the same time

I like the idea of the PID on the kettle in that brewery in that link. That is one easy way to lock off your boil as a variable.

braumeister_auto1.jpg

:D

Seriously...

1. 3 vessel system capable of single and double batches.. Why do you need three, do you have some spare space that needs wasting?
3. Incorporates HERMS (nothing against RIMS fella's it's just a little finicky for me) Pfft...
5. All Stainless
7. Full electric rig.
11. Anti boil over device ( that would be the most over used part of the rig) I hear nothing is boil over proof at Chappo Manor... :p

JUst do it... you'll never look back

Check this site out Chap Chap:

www.theelectricbrewery.com

It is a very neat system, probably covers most of the things you are looking for. I'm currently building a new rig (and learning to TIG at the same time) and I'm basing quite a bit of my setup around the design on here.

Cheers SJ

Ha ha only just listened to the Podcast last week on this Dude. I have seen the site before but thanks for reminding me SJ. I'm going to study it in detail and then show these Yanks how it's really done! ;) :)

Chap Chap

Award winning beer producing double batch setup:

Ticks all the boxes, doesn't boil over and I got a wicked Herms trying to lift one of them while full. B)

lag2.jpg

Bribie? Does the clock auto switch off the pillow case?

Walk before you run.

Oh you are so funny Bum <_<

:lol: I guess I deserve a bit of that.

Add CIP to the list.
(Not the Brad version)

If you got a Baumeister you could mount it on the back of the rat rod with a genset - Beer mobile! :) (assuming its still in your hot little hands)

I'm at about the same place in designing my new rig Chap Chap, so will be following this thread with interest to steal some ideas off you.

Looking at 2V or 3V w/HERMS, semi-automated capable of single/double/50L batches.

Fellow Brewerhood,

Whilst I know this topic will be a how long is a piece of string, how much money is too much money to spend on a rig and completely subjective to the individual brewer, I love full automation, I hate the idea of automation, I imagine, I am curious as to what you think would be the ultimate brewery? Anywho lets get started....

I am in the throws of planning Sherman Mk3, and whilst I was busily sketching schematics for plumbing, electrical, vessels, rig layout and a like it dawned on me that I am really starting from scratch, a blank canvass as it were. You see when I built my last two rigs they were just a progression from K&K to AG to more advanced AG brewing techniques. I more or less scavenged parts and bits as I went on from previous rigs, junk yards, other brewers and bought what I needed (sometimes what I didn't need either). I also had no real preconceived idea's when I was upgrading. Sure I researched and asked questions but now I am faced with knowledge. No only from what I learned along the way previously but also from what I seen, a lot of your rigs in the flesh, brew days etc. And I can say not one rig is the same as the other. Many brewers employ many different bits and pieces as well as methods and processes to get to basically the same result. Good Beer. But if you had the chance to start from a blank page what would you do?

I guess from my point of view some of the things I have jotted down as a design brief to myself for my ultimate rig are:

5. All Stainless
7. Full electric rig.
11. Anti boil over device ( :lol: that would be the most over used part of the rig)

Anyway those are my thoughts to date but would be interested in hearing yours.

Cheers

Chap Chap

Hey Chap haven't you still got those plans that we drew up for the rig you were building for me? :p

Cheers

Paul

Award winning beer producing double batch setup:

Ticks all the boxes, doesn't boil over and I got a wicked Herms trying to lift one of them while full. B)

lag2.jpg

I was going to say the clock is wrong, but it wasn't :blink:

Latest posts

Back