The Ultimate Brewing Rig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey chappo, good thread mate, im all over this as im also sizing up for a new brewery, i reckon... next time you brew keep a pen and paper handy and write down everything you do and why its hard or easy and then after your done brewing sit down and go thru every step and come up with ways to improve each process....

hahaha yeah right!!! just get that credit card out and start buying shit, im sure at least 1/4 of it will come in handy :)

I've got so much shit laying around the house that i will never use, but shit it looks so bling!!!

DSC01112.jpg

You have a few Youtube vid's don't you??? if its you, mate i'm in awe of your complete setup!

I know they dont tick all the boxes but i really like franko's rig here

and pumpy's here

they look nice and simple and clean

cheers matho

i would focus more on the cleaning function of my next build (if there is ever a next build)

the cleaning is always the least fun on a brew day

whilst i empty and clean my mash tun during the boil, that still leaves the kettle to be cleaned

the problem here is that you can only clean the kettle after you have either cubed or chilled your wort in a fermenter

the sealing of a cube or fermenter is somewhat final by definition, you have completed and achieved what you set out to do a few hours prior

but wait, its not all done, the kettle still needs to be cleaned

i would try to design a system that is self cleaning, and make the sealing of the fermenter or cube the final step you can walk away from

Mr Tyreman, are you using the kitchen sink for a mash tun? Would be so easy to clean! Just put a bucket under the plughole and hose it out!

Chappo,

have a look at this one:

http://hobbybrauer.de/modules.php?name=eBo...ad&tid=4639

judging on your german skills I witnessed on Sunday I would assume that you get the details, and even if I'm wrong, the pictures really say it all.
You can build it yourself, it is even more automated than a Braumeister (as you have up to five programmable hop feeder, plus fully automated whirlpool), you could easily adapt it for double batches etc.
Very small footprint, portable, full electric... Fits all your criterias, apart from being RIMS

And there is even a concept to prevent boil overs!

Chappo,

have a look at this one:

judging on your german skills I witnessed on Sunday I would assume that you get the details, and even if I'm wrong, the pictures really say it all.
You can build it yourself, it is even more automated than a Braumeister (as you have up to five programmable hop feeder, plus fully automated whirlpool), you could easily adapt it for double batches etc.
Very small footprint, portable, full electric... Fits all your criterias, apart from being RIMS

I dont know what they are saying but damn that is one nice looking automated brewery

Chappo,

have a look at this one:

...there are not enough hopfensilo's are they are way too small :p

I know they dont tick all the boxes but i really like franko's rig here
and pumpy's here
they look nice and simple and clean
cheers matho

Very note worthy rigs. I have always admired these one's of Franko and Pumpy's. And can testify they make fantastic beers (but don't tell them that) ;)

i would focus more on the cleaning function of my next build (if there is ever a next build)
whilst i empty and clean my mash tun during the boil, that still leaves the kettle to be cleaned
the problem here is that you can only clean the kettle after you have either cubed or chilled your wort in a fermenter
the sealing of a cube or fermenter is somewhat final by definition, you have completed and achieved what you set out to do a few hours prior
but wait, its not all done, the kettle still needs to be cleaned
i would try to design a system that is self cleaning, and make the sealing of the fermenter or cube the final step you can walk away from

Couldn't agree with your sentiments more. The most tiresome thing about brewing is the amount of cleaning. I like the idea of 100% stainless steel and a mobile rig so I can go guts with the high pressure washer.

Chappo,
have a look at this one:
judging on your german skills I witnessed on Sunday I would assume that you get the details, and even if I'm wrong, the pictures really say it all. You can build it yourself, it is even more automated than a Braumeister (as you have up to five programmable hop feeder, plus fully automated whirlpool), you could easily adapt it for double batches etc.

Like all languages you learn the swear words first Florian :lol:
That looks great and certainly will be looked at closely.

I know that Jonno rig doesn't tick all my boxes but what I admire is the skills he has but also how he has tackled every technical challenge.

I am really enjoying everyone differ take on the Ultimate Brewery. It's what I was hoping for in that there is a diverse range of opinions.

Cheers

Chap Chap

+1. Location of your brewery and its immediate surroundings just as crucial, i.e. tiled floor with floor drains etc would make things a lot easier, etc...

Fits all your criterias, apart from being RIMS

Nothing wrong with a RIMS, poor Chap Chap cant work out a PID though! :p :lol:

Better than camlocks are these items:

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/pr...D2%22-BARB.html

and

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/pr...7D2%22-MPT.html

They will handle the heat (provided they are not over an open burner flame) and make for easy one handed operation when it comes to hoses. Camlocks can get hot and require two hands.

The link I posted earlier uses stainless disconnects, which I have been looking to source, however I am now leaning towards the above items due to the heat factor (and me most likely to forget to wear gloves).

As mentioned above a 32A circuit should give you enough juice to boil a double batch no worries.

Copying something like the brew sculpture should give you a nice small foot print and if you run the herms coil back through your HLT you only need three pots.

Cheers SJ

I've heard from the guys at grain and grape that these disconnects aren't great and get pretty brittle after a little while

Yeah, I'm now considering other options. I really like the SS disconnects from More Beer, however they don't have them in stock. There is also the issue of heat with stainless or any metal disconnect.

Might have another look at camlocks from Geordi and see how they would go.

I like the ease of use of the CPC disconnects (one handed operation and stays cool), but there seems to be a few other draw backs wrt to durability over time.

Cheers SJ

I've always liked this one though automated and with gas, the single tier looks good.
very similar to pumpy's and red rocket' btw.

Love my all electric, so easy. +1 here for sure. Do you have enough power in the brewhaus?

I run doubles easily with a serarate 15A & 10A supplies.

I plan to run something similar, using two 10A circuits from different rooms of the house

Two DPDT switches will let me select between the 4 heating elements (2 in kettle) so I never take more than 10A per circuit

Hi Mate,

I agree the speidel system may tick more of the boxes? Disadvantages is one brew/mash at a time and lifting mash out of vessel is a back breaker without help. Just an automated SS BIAB. Videos I have seen on youtube indicate a cleaning PITA.

For a multi vessel Herms system I say there are a few advantages like multi-brews at once and cleaning as you go. IMHO:
* look into a tiered system (like the blichmann) to save room
* Dedicated HX with a dedicated PID controlled element
* Dedicated HLT with a dedicated PID controlled element or two depending on volume
* Dedicated Mash Tun
* Dedicated Kettle with a dedicated PID controlled element or two
* All vessels sized to your maximum batch volumes and power availability
* Dedicated water in manifold via carbon filter
* All vessels with valved outlets and hoses to connect between any vessel you like
* Pump mounted as low as possible

I'd avoid hard plumbing and automated valves, but whatever you like I guess. IMHO they are trouble

Back