The Schwartz Brewery All Grain Home Brewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We will not be publishing the full list. Score sheets will be returned to entrants, who can feel free to publish their scores if they like.

Thats Ok PoMo I dont mind a bit of Public Pilliary .

I have had nightmares due to the goery death cartoon re running in the background all afternoon .

Pumpy

OK, more images from the day (sorry if there are repeats, I've scaled everything down < 100k).

More faces from the spectators:
Crowd_2_r.JPG Crowd_3_r.JPG
Crowd_4_r.JPG Crowd_5_r.JPG

The engine room:
Engine_Room_r.JPG

Andrew Moore, concentrating on his comments:
Drew_Scoring_r.JPG

Schwartz's fine range of beers:
Promo_r.JPG

An entry waiting for judging:
Round_r.JPG

Doc and Drew after the judging:
Drew_and_Doc_r.JPG

Josh demands a recount:
Recount_r.JPG

Steward Stuster with Baron Richard :
Stu_and_Richard_r.JPG

Victory!
Victory_r.JPG

Yours truly, quite exhausted:
MC_tired_r.JPG

Obligatory Scotty hugging someone shot (in this case Barry, again! Rumours will start on less than this!):
Scotty_and_Barry_r.JPG

The survivors having a well earned beer afterwards:
Survivors_r.JPG

If anyone saw me taking other shots, or if you're in a shot and want the full-detail image emailed, let me know (PM or email).

Cheers. What a great day. Certificates and score sheets will be mailed out some time this week.

Thanks to all the judges, stewards and observers for your support. May there be many more!

That was a good day and some excellent beers were entered. I spoke to the judges after the event, and they were all very impressed with the standard of entries. Hats off to Doc and Stuster for their stewarding work. As Scotty said, they handled the stewarding table like absolute pros. Most efficient stewarding I've ever seen. Scotty and I could do nothing but stay out of their way and try to keep their thirsts quenched.

Anyway, to make it official, here are the top three beers:

First place: Darren Robinson (Hills Brewers, NSW), "Secret Squirrel" Chocolate/Hazelnut porter. 43.5 points.

First and second runners up:

Peter Wadey (ESB, NSW) for his Brown Porter
and
Greg Lee (AMB, SA) for his "All India" IPA.

Both runners up scored an average of 39.2 points.

Congratulations to all the place getters. They were all excellent beers to stand out in such a strong field of 46 entries.

Somehow, all of the score sheets safely found their way home with me and I'll be posting them out over the next week or so.

I'd like to thank the Schwartz Brewery and the Macquarie Hotel for sponsoring and hosting this event. The facilities were top notch, the professionalism, co-operation and enthusiasm of the Macquarie Hotel staff was brilliant.

It's great to see the craft brewing and home brewing communities forging bonds. It can only do good things for both communities. Thanks Andrew for taking the reins on this event. I'm sure you'll enjoy brewing Doc's beer, which I'll look forward to trying when it goes on tap.

Photos from the judging following soon.

Here, here, and thanks to you to, PoMo.

Rgds,
Peter

Peter, great beer of yours (and good heckling as well :party: :ph34r: ). Any chance of the recipe for that one? :D

Many thanks to the organisers, and the judges.

I had fun entering, had a great time seeing how a comp runs and enjoyed helping where I could.

It was a very slick event.

I am looking forward to my scores and feedback

Cheers
Josh

Congrats Doc, a well deserved win with a score like that! Have fun with the grand prize, I'm very jealous...

And congrats to Peter, hope you dont mind sharing second place (equal second is definately better than 3rd place in my book)

Big thanks to the organisers, looked like a great day, would have loved to have been there but it would have been a bit of a drive!

Just a suggestion - maybe the top 10 could be posted rather than all of the results - surely that wouldnt upset anyone - would love to see some of the other beer names...

Cheers,
Greg

Just a suggestion - maybe the top 10 could be posted rather than all of the results - surely that wouldnt upset anyone - would love to see some of the other beer names...

Id be keen to know the top 10. see how close the good ones got to glory, and how far the bad ones I entered need to improve. :icon_cheers:

Id be keen to know the top 10. see how close the good ones got to glory, and how far the bad ones I entered need to improve. :icon_cheers:
Happy enough to enter my scores... I'm sure one of my entries is near the bottom!

I have a funny feeling one of mine may of taken out last place.
I am sure I saw my Irish Red gather a massive 16.9 average.

maybe it is like a Melbourne cup sweep and I get a booby prize for 46th place!

I am not afraid to publicly embarrass myself. lol

I have a funny feeling one of mine may of taken out last place.
I am sure I saw my Irish Red gather a massive 16.9 average.

maybe it is like a Melbourne cup sweep and I get a booby prize for 46th place!

I am not afraid to publicly embarrass myself. lol
Yeah, once you get judging notes back for a toucan that read "INFECTED" from all three judges, you know you've hit rock bottom.
If these comments are funny enough, if the judges don't mind, I'll post them for the amusement of others.

So the race for last is well and truly on, boys.

Wow, a new aspect of comps. Last place frenzy. :p

Maybe last place could clean out the mash tun on the brewday

Kabooby :ph34r:

Congrats Doc!!! and well done to the brewers that closely followed. :beer:

I'm stoked at the number of entries! When Rod and I first came up with the idea (over a few too many beers at the local) we didn't know if we'd get 10 or 100 entries nor did we know how you'd take the comp forum (not having a style and all) but from all reports, it turned out to be a great Comp!!! And even though i wasn't there on the day, I was all there in spirit and was spewin I wasn't able to taste the fruits of everyones hard labour... :icon_drunk:

Personally, I'd like to say a big thanks to Rob for his energy and commitment to the comp and to Andrew who was thrown in the deep end and from what I hear swam quiet well, well done guys! A big sloppy to Damon, Rich and Micheal who from the first phone call, were all on board and rearing to go!!! Cheers to the boys who helped with all the stewarding (scotty I hear you were a real asset on the day??? :p ) and I hope that the comp becomes a annual thing.

Cheers and Beers and don't forget too look me up when your down in Mexico next.

Sam :icon_cheers:
[email protected]

stewarding (scotty I hear you were a real asset on the day??? :p )

I just traveled down the tracks those laid before me .... praise again to the Brain Trusts (ROB/Sam/Andrew) and the Do-ers (Stewards and Judges et al)

Scotty

To those awaiting score sheets, my apologies. They are all bundled up in some large envelopes waiting for me to sort and post. Work is killer at the moment, and home time with the family is precious. I vow to get them all in envelopes this weekend and posted 22/6. Your patience and understanding is appreciated.

To those awaiting score sheets, my apologies. They are all bundled up in some large envelopes waiting for me to sort and post. Work is killer at the moment, and home time with the family is precious. I vow to get them all in envelopes this weekend and posted 22/6. Your patience and understanding is appreciated.
No worries, I'll stop hassling the postie now! ;)

Latest posts

Back