The Schwartz Brewery All Grain Home Brewing Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the results today, excellent!

First comp I've entered and I received an average of 38.75 out of 50 from the four judges. Maximum of 42, so have to be happy with that.

This gives me incentive to enter a few more now, starting with the Bathurst comp in September.

Thanks to organisers/judges/Schwartz/Macquarie Hotel

Cheers ...

Got the results today, excellent!

First comp I've entered and I received an average of 38.75 out of 50 from the four judges. Maximum of 42, so have to be happy with that.

This gives me incentive to enter a few more now, starting with the Bathurst comp in September.

Thanks to organisers/judges/Schwartz/Macquarie Hotel

Cheers ...

Well done Smo. Thats a pretty good score.

cheers
Andrew.

Woohoo! Just got my results today.

Had a laugh at the judges notes for my Medieval Chamomile Amber.
I knew when I entered it it wasn't going to be a winner, but getting "flavour Unbalanced & Revolting" from one judge made me laugh out loud. :icon_vomit:
My sincerest apologies to that judge, and for those beers that followed mine (i'm sure his pallet needed readjusting).

Thanks again to all involved & sorry for the annoying "where's my results?" posts.
Pete

Got my results. Unfortunately I think all the judges were doctors as I could only just make out every third word they wrote, if they wrote anything at all, which one judge did, just numbers on the score sheet, or it was late in the tasting and they were hammered.

A bit disappointing as it's these comments from the judges I'm after so I have some idea as to what areas of my entry to improve on and also brewing techniques/method that could be improved also.

I knew my beer had flaws in it, however it was the only one I could enter into the comp, i just wanted some constructive feed back from entering it to re-enforce and add to what I thought of the beer. I do think the judges were very kind with the scoring on my beer however.

Wouldn't it be cool if this comp generates enough commercial interest that you could run a German themed comp in cooperation with the Lowenbrau/Bavarian Bier Cafe chain?! This is especially good because of the "Schwartz" Brewery having a German name.

Another idea would be to approach the Belgian Beer Cafe for a (can you guess?) Belgian themed comp.

Got my results. Unfortunately I think all the judges were doctors as I could only just make out every third word they wrote, if they wrote anything at all, which one judge did, just numbers on the score sheet, or it was late in the tasting and they were hammered.

A bit disappointing as it's these comments from the judges I'm after so I have some idea as to what areas of my entry to improve on and also brewing techniques/method that could be improved also.

I knew my beer had flaws in it, however it was the only one I could enter into the comp, i just wanted some constructive feed back from entering it to re-enforce and add to what I thought of the beer. I do think the judges were very kind with the scoring on my beer however.

By the end of the judging the judges had been judging for over 6 hours, and were getting both a little palette shot and very tired.
The call was made at the beginning of the day to get all four judges to try all beers, rather than splitting the entries and only have two judges judge them. If we had gone that way the judging sheets might have been a bit more descriptive.
First time the comp has been run (and like that with spectators).
Next time a couple more judges and a split of the judging I think.

Beers,
Doc

I primed the judges to focus on feedback to be the primary focus of their judging, and some were better than others. As the day drew on, tho, they became more and more interested in just getting through them. Apologies for that. I don't see how we could improve on that in future, apart from judging over several days or with several panels, to avoid the judging fatigue.
<snap, Doc>

Wouldn't it be cool if this comp generates enough commercial interest that you could run a German themed comp in cooperation with the Lowenbrau/Bavarian Bier Cafe chain?! This is especially good because of the "Schwartz" Brewery having a German name.

Another idea would be to approach the Belgian Beer Cafe for a (can you guess?) Belgian themed comp.

Good idea, but the problem is that these places are run by faceless corporations with contracts on all the taps. The politics and sales effort required to get the idea up past the local bar manager would be enormous. I think they have a very good shot at getting Doc's beer on at the Taphouse, but that's the way the Taphouse works.

thanks very much for sending the results Scotty I know you went to some trouble to get the results out.

Being my first competition I was a bit keen to get the results .sorry if I was a bit of a pain .

I got 29.5 , but hell it was good day and the feedback from the judges was really good that what it was about for me .

I am sure I can improve on that in the future

Pumpy :)

PoMo,
Just a note to say I rec'd the certificate Monday.
Ta,
Pete
returning to armchair

I wandered up to the Mac the other week when Doc & Drew were brewing the secret squirrel. Here's a few pics of the brewday.

Doc, happy brewer
IMG_3068_5_1.jpg
The Sparge in Action
IMG_3070_7_1.jpg
Hydrometer sample, (ready for tasting, IMO)
IMG_3077_13_1.jpg

more to come, but the pc keeps stalling on the upload icon... grr.

Great photos Pete.
Fermentation has gone well according to Drew. I haven't been able to make it in to taste myself yet.

Will be letting you all know when it hit the taps.
Franko has done another great job on the label :p

Doc

End of sparge
IMG_3080_16_1.jpg

Would you like some porter with your chocolate?
IMG_3074_10_1.jpg

Can't wait to taste that one!! Do they know when it will be ready?

We are aiming to have it ready and on tap for a release next Friday (14th Aug).
Will keep you all posted as it all comes together.

Beers,
Doc

Beers,
Doc
Top stuff Doc,
My workmates are keen to try it.

I need an excuse to get in their to try it!!!

Beers,
Doc
I don't suppose that will be revised forward to Tuesday 11th? Flying out on the 12th.

Looking forward to see what this turns out like on a commercial scale. Bring on next Friday!

Latest posts

Back