The Sausage Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we get ours at the same butcher we buy our meat from at Preston Markets.

i've found natuarl casings are the go for BBQ snags and the non natural ones for salami's works well. looking at andrews pics i'd say he does the same.
I'll go to the butcher my parents get their meat from for their shop. ok so i just need to know how much to get?

*cough* bulk buy *cough* :ph34r:

anyways a real question, im ready to order casings (im going natural), just need to work out where im buying them from and how much to buy?

I know there are a few stockists: Master Butcher Co-op & EAM Sales in QLD, Bake & Brew in SA

Troy & Fents - where do you boys get your from? internet or local butcher?

Boscos Meats shop 181 preston market 94785993 natural castings are $1 per metre & you need 1 metre per kg

really good butcher nothings to hard for him & cheap i brought 2 shoulders off him on saturday for $90 he boned & minced them for me cut the bones up for my dog cut the ribs out for me to marinate & saved the neck for me to make a capacolla all for no extra charge

Boscos Meats shop 181 preston market 94785993 natural castings are $1 per metre & you need 1 metre per kg

really good butcher nothings to hard for him & cheap i brought 2 shoulders off him on saturday for $90 he boned & minced them for me cut the bones up for my dog cut the ribs out for me to marinate & saved the neck for me to make a capacolla all for no extra charge
Jesus that's unreal service. Old skool butchery.
So 2 shoulders is about 12kg so about 12m of sausage casing. Sweet. Rough as estimate there obviously.

Thx for the info

Hi Guys,

Just though I might show off a few bambi snags I have started making for my Oktoberfest this year. The coiled one was knoted before I put it in the fridge. I will be taking some away camping to give them a go this weekend.

Before and after.

P8274153small.JPG P8274154.JPG

MB

Are bambi snags made from venison?

Yes they are made from venison. Fallow deer to be precise. I had some on the weekend ,They were nice but slightly dry . I added some cheese to a few hoping this might help. During the cooking the cheese one got mixed up and I missed out on them. Still they were good cooked on the camp fire.

If anyone has a good recipe I'm open to suggestions.

MB

Hey Guys,

I want to get back into sausage making after trying it maybe 4 years ago now. I ended up buying the below electric mincer and it arrived yesterday, I took everything out of the box and the sausage attachment doesn't seem to fit the casings I have. The current casings are 26mm collagen casings and the sausage funnel measures 24mm to the outside at the tip and gets thicker towards the machine (the casings rip when I try to attach them). As casings are quite expensive I wanted to see if anyone though the 30mm casings would be fine for this attachment noting the size of the funnel above? I don't want to fork out another $20 for casings to have them not fit either. I think they should be fine just confirming to be sure.

MINCER: http://www.buynsave.com.au/cooking-essenti...ubbe-maker.html

Cheers

Hey Guys,

I want to get back into sausage making after trying it maybe 4 years ago now. I ended up buying the below electric mincer and it arrived yesterday, I took everything out of the box and the sausage attachment doesn't seem to fit the casings I have. The current casings are 26mm collagen casings and the sausage funnel measures 24mm to the outside at the tip and gets thicker towards the machine (the casings rip when I try to attach them). As casings are quite expensive I wanted to see if anyone though the 30mm casings would be fine for this attachment noting the size of the funnel above? I don't want to fork out another $20 for casings to have them not fit either. I think they should be fine just confirming to be sure.

MINCER: http://www.buynsave.com.au/cooking-essenti...ubbe-maker.html

Cheers

I have exactly the same problem. I also find that if I use the mincer to fill the sausages I end up with tough sausages. Any comments on this? Is the mincer working the meat too hard? Do I need to go to a dedicated filler?

Also I found the sausage casings from my local brew shop incredibly expensive. I paid almost as much as I would for a kg or gourmet sausages. Just for the skins! Where and what type do you guys gets?

old mates mincer came with three different sized attachments im suprised your's hasnt.

i think the 30mm casings will fit fine but then again i dont want to be that guy who told you its ok only for it not to work. have a go and see i guess.

I ended up calling the local butcher who sold me about 1kg worth (makes 1kg) of thick sausage natural hog casing for a test run and so I could decide before getting more..

Cheers

The natural casings seem to have a little bit of flex in them which helps. Never used the collagen and now you know why.

The natural casings seem to have a little bit of flex in them which helps. Never used the collagen and now you know why.

I have tried the collagen casing but found they would split on the BBQ . The natural casings work great for me. I buy them from a place in melbourne in a bag about the size of a large grape fruit. They are in salt which you wash off prior to filling. about $40 I think. I've done a few batches and I don't think the bulk of the bag has changed much. They seem to be going along way.

MB

Hey Guys,

My first sausages making in about 4 years to happen tomorrow, below is the recipe I have come up with. I am aiming for a beef and peppercorn sausage (similar to the nicer thick ones you can get at coles / woolies). Any feedback before I give it a crack?

Ingredients
1 kg beef with fat
100ml red wine
1.5 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Coarsely ground black pepper
1 tbsp Whole Yellow Mustard Seed
1 tsp Garlic Salt (This is 80% Salt - 20% Garlic Powder)
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Dried Oregano

Mincing on course disk, mix in ingredients then finish off on the medium disk into large natural casings (approx 32/35mm)...

Thanks

Hey Guys,

My first sausages making in about 4 years to happen tomorrow, below is the recipe I have come up with. I am aiming for a beef and peppercorn sausage (similar to the nicer thick ones you can get at coles / woolies). Any feedback before I give it a crack?

Ingredients
1 kg beef with fat
100ml red wine
1.5 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Coarsely ground black pepper
1 tbsp Whole Yellow Mustard Seed
1 tsp Garlic Salt (This is 80% Salt - 20% Garlic Powder)
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Dried Oregano

Mincing on course disk, mix in ingredients then finish off on the medium disk into large natural casings (approx 32/35mm)...

Thanks

How did they turn out??

Not sure why the yellow mustard seed is in there did the flavour combo work? What cut of beef and did the fat render out when cooking or did it stay whole - I worried that the fat may be a little too much in the sausage and could also make the sausage feel fatty???

How did they turn out??

Not sure why the yellow mustard seed is in there did the flavour combo work? What cut of beef and did the fat render out when cooking or did it stay whole - I worried that the fat may be a little too much in the sausage and could also make the sausage feel fatty???

They came out really well, I was quite happy with the end result, the only thing is the texture was a little grainy however after some reading online I probably didn't mix the meat enough or there wasn't enough fat content. The pepper was full on but that was what I was after. The yellow mustard doesn't really add much flavour but I had them and I like the crunch of the whole seeds. I used a rolled rib fillet roast which I found at the butcher nice and cheap. They cooked well also, the fat stayed inside, nothing rendered out.

Tomorrow I am making up a big batch of fresh chorizo and boerewors.... yummo!

Spent the full day yesterday making ,hot dogs,Cabana,cheese kransky ,and stras.Also brined a few hams.
Was interesting and I learnt a hell of a lot.
Didnt get any pics though :rolleyes: will next time

I made my first kg last week.

1 kg Chicken Thigh
1 frozen pack spinach
a couple of heaped teaspoons of thai green curry
Salt and Pepper.

turned out really nice, the kids refer to them as the green sausages.

The issues,

I added no fat so I cooked them low ad slow.
Probably should have added a fluid as it took a while to get into the sausage maker
I bought collegen casing and could only get enough casing on the attachment for about 4 medium sausages.

My next plan
Lamb
Garlic
Feta
Mint

Well I have invested in one of these baby's for making snags. I have tried making a beef snag using Topside but finding it very sinewy which clogs up the plates. What cut of beef are others using?

Cheers

Sully

Back