The Sausage Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats impressive stuff Kirk - yeah ... recipes please. I'm looking to make some salami next weekend I think. Much smaller scale than that though. Maybe 4 or 5kg

These really are salamis, but we refer to them as sausages.

One recipe I have sworn not to reveal.

The other is just 2.25% salt and chilli to taste. fry some up and if needed add more chilli for taste.

Of course the chilli sauce that is added is also guarded.

My sausages always end up dry. Is it just lack of fat? or is it too much/little iced water? maybe I'm not working cold enough?

Last batch were 2/3 pork neck, 1/3 gravy beef.

if your using pork neck its very lean you need to add 20% pork fat
or just use pork shoulder instead

09062009235.jpg

1st batch for the season
pork shoulder with salt,pepper,chilli,paprika & pepper sauce

Oh man Kirim what a weekend!! I would love to have the opportunity to be a part of that! And the sausages hanging!!!!!!

I made some Buffalo sausages the other day for a bit of a function and ended up blowing my poor old sunbeam mincer up!!! Some one lent mere their kitchen aid which was good but a lot slower than the sunbean. I will have to buy another mincer as I am planning to make 20 kilos of salami this winter.

Hairofthedog good work - a little early I thought for salami but the weather this weekend seems like it would be perfect!

Got a recipe for those and what skins did you use the salamis are so straight?

SBS approached the family a few years back to film the weekend.

I am still on a high from the weekend.

merc the skins are natural ones but dried they are great to use as there much stronger than the wet/fresh ones hard to break
pork shoulder
27gms of salt per kilo
100gms of pepper sauce per kilo
paprika,pepper & chilli flakes to own preference

yeah i though it might be a little early to but it is winter & im planning on making a bigger batch in a couple of weeks these are just to tie me over

Anyone had a go at black pudding? You sausage and salami guys are making me so jealous. I grew up eating real scottish black pudding with my grand parents and it was delicious.
Cheers
Steve

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding

Deep fried, battered black pudding :icon_drool2:

Here's my last couple of batches, made a few weekends ago.

Both beef sausages, one made with Len Poli's beef and garlic sausage , the other the same but replacing the parmesan with 250g mozzarella. The parmesan ones are great, the mozzarella ones are a little lacking - I'd add some chilli if I made them again.

I like these on hot dog buns with mustard.

Excuse the ugly bugger.

P7050142__600_x_800_.jpg

P7050143__600_x_800_.jpg

Looking at the Cumberland sausage post, what role do ice cubes play in the production of snags ?

Sorry to take the discussion elsewhere, but this is the almighty sausage thread, and has already taken a lot of twists & turns.

Looking at the Cumberland sausage post, what role do ice cubes play in the production of snags ?

Sorry to take the discussion elsewhere, but this is the almighty sausage thread, and has already taken a lot of twists & turns.

Water/stock/wine/beer is usually added to sausages that contain bread or rusk to prevent them becoming too dry. Ice cubes can be used instead of water - it helps keep the mixture colder, makes stuffing easier and decreases the chances of nasties taking hold in the mix.

Guess who was given a mighty fine present late last night ? Not only did Mrs. Renegade present me with an early birthday gift of an electric mincer (the Sunbeam FG5600) but also a few meters of casings, some marinanted beef, a few chicken thighs and even some reserved bread crusts saved from old loaves, so I'm ready to start pushing out snags this weekend. Woo-Hoooooooo ! I'm chuffed. :D

It must have been something in the air .I got one aswell . I went straight down to the local butcher and had a chat . Casings on the way and his fav recipe for a few bottles . Tommorrow is the day for me to grind some out .

Buster

Guess who was given a mighty fine present late last night ? Not only did Mrs. Renegade present me with an early birthday gift of an electric mincer (the Sunbeam FG5600) but also a few meters of casings, some marinanted beef, a few chicken thighs and even some reserved bread crusts saved from old loaves, so I'm ready to start pushing out snags this weekend. Woo-Hoooooooo ! I'm chuffed. :D

Score!

Glad to see you got there. If you need more casings, these guys are by far the cheapest Ive found:

http://www.mblsa.com.au/

Latest posts

Back