The Sausage Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheep casings are much thinner and more prone to split than hog casings.

Nice simple recipe there Dave. Might have to give that a go, could easily knock it out in an afternoon...

Ahhhhh... much better

IMAG0240.jpg

Flavour is fantastic. A little bit salty but otherwise good. I might cut the salt down to 1.5tbsp next time.

Could also do with a little more fat. Its a teensy bit dry. Either a fattier piece of meat or maybe add an extra 100g or so of fat to the mix when grinding.

They will be fantastic poached in a rich tomato, red wine and onion sauce. Not even sure I'll tie them into links. might just leave them as long lengths.

Cheers
Dave

Next time get yourself some extra fat and reserve that as well as some mince and seasoning. Do your rissole test (as you did) - this should be enough to tell whether the fat and salt content need to increase or decrease. If too salty, add more mince.

Like holding back a touch of liquid and flour when making bread dough, even if the recipe is clear and distinct in its amounts.

No. You need black and gold for snags.

Bangers are OK with saxa as are maggot bags and scossies.

I've just started getting into sausage making and have done my first few batches. Today I had a mate call who's been up north shooting again and has some goat legs for me. I usually make curry, but I was wondering how goat would go in a sausage. Has anyone tried it?

Goats pretty lean and I would need to add some pork fat and I am guessing some rusk, but would they taste to gamey?

Also i've tried to do roasts with this goat (they're not always the youngest of beasts) and unless you slow cook it for hours its pretty tough. I am gathering that the mincing process would mean that this just wont be a problem, I was intending to mince course like an italian sausage.

Aces High said:
Goats pretty lean and I would need to add some pork fat and I am guessing some rusk, but would they taste to gamey?

Also i've tried to do roasts with this goat (they're not always the youngest of beasts) and unless you slow cook it for hours its pretty tough. I am gathering that the mincing process would mean that this just wont be a problem, I was intending to mince course like an italian sausage.
No such thing as too gamey.

The mincing should soften things up. If its too tough, mince finer.

Goat is pretty lean so some extra fat. Or maybe a blend of goat + some fatty meat? Goat and bacon? Goat and pork? Or use something else to provide moisture. i have seen a bunch of recipes using venison or moose (from US hunters) that use fruit to moisten things. Goat and apricot? Goat and apple?

You have me thinking now...

Cheers
Dave

If you use fruit, use dried fruit soaked in juice or cider to reconstitute. it stops it going mushy and has a beautiful texture.

I use dried apple soaked in apple brandy in my pork and apple snags.

punkin said:
No. You need black and gold for snags.

Bangers are OK with saxa as are maggot bags and scossies.
:ph34r:

dont mention maldon sea salt!

Anything with blue cheese :icon_drool2:

Stu - That year we did a mountain of Italian pork salami, we also did a bunch of goat sausage as one of the guys had been up north shooting wild goats. We didn't make loads, but I thought they were the best sausage on the day. Opinions varied, some people didn't like them, but I though they were great. As others have said, wild goat is pretty lean, so buy some pork fat or belly and mince it in or it'll be pretty dry. Punkin's tip of soaking dried fruit is a good one, and if you don't want to use alcohol (why not?) then you can use apple juice. You could always add a bit of wine and some rusk to keep the moisture in.

Anyway, I highly recommend just doing a goat sausage, it won't taste too gamey.

Cheers Kaiser, Goats on the menu then. Fruit in a sausage Punkin?? not sure about this fruit in sausage thing. Im a firm believer in no pineapple on a pizza, I will have to consider the fruit in sausage concept

We're not pineapple on pizza people, but we've done pork and apple (dried apple soaked in calvados I think it was) and it was seriously good.

The recipe and method are a few pages back, but the results are unarguable.

These were made from Large Black heritage pigs we grew and slaughtered...

porksausages1.jpg

punkin said:
The recipe and method are a few pages back, but the results are unarguable.

These were made from Large Black heritage pigs we grew and slaughtered...

attachicon.gif
porksausages1.jpg
Thanks for the recipe. Just had some for dinner last night and were excellent.

Used free range pork shoulder and belly 3:1
I haven't used rusk in any sausages yet, probably an unfounded hangup from store bought "sawdust" snags, what does rusk add to a snag?
Probably a bit like the aversion some all grain brewers have to adding sugar.
Recently got one of those chinese ss sausage stuffers and heaps better than using the kenwood chef mincer attachment.
cheers
sean

Rusk serves a few functions. Firstly, it adds to the texture of the sausage, but it also retains the moisture in the sausage so you don't get liquid leaking out and the sausage is moister.

First crack at making sausage on Monday. Used a 5Kg shoulders of pork. I have a shitty Kmart electric mincer that wouldn't mince a Banana! An a old hand mincer without a handle. Pork wouldn't go through the Kmart jobbie so I had to improvise with the had mincer. First go was with a pair of stillson pipe wrench then a pair of locking pliers. The locking pliers worked OK but am looking into where I can get a new handle a smaller grind plate as I only have a coarse one.

Then stuffed them using the Kmart mincer. Was a bit of a stuff around as the sausage meat was ground quite coarse and trying to work out which attachments to use for stuffing.

I made two batches, Italian and Bratwurst

IMG_1538.JPG

Snags resting in the fridge.

IMG_1539.JPG

Cook up of the Italian pork and fennel.

Nothing quite like homemade Sausage!

Smoked some of them as well http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/68308-smoking-meat/page-15

Nice looking snags there wolfman!

Check on ebay for grind plates. However you can also run it through a second time if you're keen to have it smaller.

Latest posts

Back