The NEIPA thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on the hazy horse this weekend. Just finished re-brewing my last recipe but i upped the oats and wheat to 15% of each, as well as a touch of honey malt.

Surprisingly easy mash with all the sticky adjunct grains. My only concern is the hops may have smelt a little oniony amoungst all the tropical scents. But we shall see

I get onion from a number of hops, I think some people are a lot more sensitive to it than I am, which sucks for me. What do you think of honey malt?

Sorry mates, kegged this about a week ago, i'll get some pics next time i pour one.

I think with the increased oats and wheat this time, i probably needed a bit more of the honey malt. Didn't get any onion coming through in the finished product so that was a definite plus.

Overall very drinkable, might dial the bitterness back a touch next time. Also at a bit of a loss of how to make it real "thick" looking as opposed to just hazy. Might need to play around with my dryhopping, i only do one giant charge early on during fermentation at the risk of introducing oxygen later on.

I've just finished ready "The New IPA" by Scott Janish. I would recommend this 100%!

Alot of the discussions in this thread are answered in it.

G'day fellas, putting a grain bill together for a NEIPA I want to brew, looking for some thoughts on it.

4.5kg Marris Otter
1kg Wheat
600g Flaked Barley
600g Flaked Oats
150g Melanoidin

G'day fellas, putting a grain bill together for a NEIPA I want to brew, looking for some thoughts on it.

4.5kg Marris Otter
1kg Wheat
600g Flaked Barley
600g Flaked Oats
150g Melanoidin

What's the point of the flaked barley? What do you mean by wheat?

The batch size will be 23l. Hoping to get a deep yellow / orange colour. Going to ferment it with Safale

Last edited:
Can you share a little more info, eg. batch size, colour etc.,
What's the point of the flaked barley? What do you mean by wheat?

The batch size will be 23l. Hoping to get a deep yellow / orange colour. Going to ferment it with Safale S-33 yeast. The wheat is just a white wheat malt by Castle. I cant get flaked wheat a my LHBS, I've read that if you go 50/50 with flaked barely and oats it can be a substitute. Also using flaked barely to help with a creamy mouthfeel. The hop schedule is;

10g Columbus first wort
10g El Dorado/ Galaxy / Ekuanot 40min hopstand
20g El Dorado / Galaxy / Ekuanot 20min hopstand
35g El Dorado / Galaxy / Ekuanot dry hop day 2 and 5

should come out at 6.6% if I hit my numbers and 36IBU

Hoping to get a deep yellow / orange colour.
Your recipe software should give you a number for the colour but for that batch size you should be sitting around 11-12 EBC (depending on the brand of the malts) which should be good!

The hop schedule is;
10g Columbus first wort
10g El Dorado/ Galaxy / Ekuanot 40min hopstand
20g El Dorado / Galaxy / Ekuanot 20min hopstand
35g El Dorado / Galaxy / Ekuanot dry hop day 2 and 5
I'd suggest you double the whirlpool/hopstand additions but your target IBU's sound about right (the perceived bitterness will be higher). I split my two dry hops about 30/70 but you can certainly go 50/50.

Going to ferment it with Safale S-33 yeast.
Not convinced about the S-33 yeast, I'd personally be going for something else, have a read here - https://homebrewanswers.com/yeast-for-brewing-neipa/ - but if you like the results you've been getting with S-33 then go for it!

No hard and fast rules here, just some feedback, take it or leave it - most important thing is to let us know how you get on! :)

Your recipe software should give you a number for the colour but for that batch size you should be sitting around 11-12 EBC (depending on the brand of the malts) which should be good!

I'd suggest you double the whirlpool/hopstand additions but your target IBU's sound about right (the perceived bitterness will be higher). I split my two dry hops about 30/70 but you can certainly go 50/50.

Not convinced about the S-33 yeast, I'd personally be going for something else, have a read here - https://homebrewanswers.com/yeast-for-brewing-neipa/ - but if you like the results you've been getting with S-33 then go for it!

No hard and fast rules here, just some feedback, take it or leave it - most important thing is to let us know how you get on! :)

WIll do, hopefully ill get a chance to put the brew down soon enough and let you know how it goes

Just as a way to reiterate something that I stated as one of my personal opinions on NEIPAs - being that heaps of adjuncts aren't needed in the grain bill, just a flavourful base malt, some oats and then maybe a bit of wheat or Vienna if you really want.
Case in point, here's the general recipe for GP's FRESH March version. Anyone who has had a beer from the FRESH series will know that they are great hazies/NEIPAs
FB_IMG_1583466812335.jpeg

Yeah, have to agree! I did a hazy pale with very little adjuncts but the London Fog (and a light biotransformation dry hop) kept it ridiculously juicy from start to the end of the keg, was a great beer, just wasn't a big fan of the Hort 4337 that I used in it.

nz_hazy.jpg

Reviving this thread because I'm getting back into brewing, I've just ordered gear to ferment under pressure in a 19l corny and I'm planning a NEIPA for my "first brew back".
Does anyone here ferment under pressure, and how do you add dry hop additions? I was thinking of putting the hop addition (in a bag or hop ball) in a second (sanitised) keg, purging it and then doing a closed loop transfer onto the hops. I figure this would be ok if I do it a few points short of FG, but would I risk leaving too much yeast behind if I wanted to do this at high krausen for biotransformation?

A technique used by pressure brewers and others who don't want to open the fermenter is to use magnets to hold a hop sack that was placed inside above the brew. You need a magnet or stainless steel inside and a magnet outside holding it. When the time comes, remove outside magnet. The hop sack or ball drops. There are relevant threads here.

Latest posts

Back