The Mystery of the Self Emptying Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahlerisms

Reaction score
Hey Gang

Hoping someone can help me figure out what's going on.

About five weeks ago, I made a keg of soda water. This is not unusual, I like to have one on.

Last weekend I went to pour SWMBO a soda and was surprised to find the keg empty. Figured it was possible, though I don't know how, so I made another keg. (used the same keg)

Went to pour myself a glass today to check how the carb is going (nothing else in the fridge so I cranked it to 200kpa as I like my soda bubbly) and was mystified to find - the keg's empty!

Keg is still under pressure, gas bottle still has gas in it. There's not a 19l puddle at the bottom of the fridge or in front of the fridge, though I probably haven't been in here in a week.

What the **** is happening?

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I've lost 40 litres of soda water in my brewery?

Absolutely mystified.

I don't lock my brewery so I suppose it's possible someone is coming in here walking past about $2000 of whisky, various appliances, computers, tools, audio gear, beer and just going nuts on soda water.

Possible.

My lady helps herself, then tells me about.
I pour her mineral water from a bottle.

My only guess was that it's leaking to the fridge and the fridge is sucking the moisture out of it or something. ONly got the one keg in there these last two weeks so I'm not carbing the wrong keg (they're labelled, too).

What a mystery!

this happened to me a couple years ago with a keg of beer. It wasnt on tap, it just disappeared. I dont know where it went. Spooky

ekul said:
this happened to me a couple years ago with a keg of beer. It wasnt on tap, it just disappeared. I dont know where it went. Spooky
Was it last time I stayed :)

It leaked onto the floor, the dog licked some of it up, some soaked into the floor or walls, some evaporated and some is still hiding under the fridge.

Try it again but stick the keg in a tub/bucket ? Possible it is leaking all the way out of the fridge. You'd think you would empty the gas bottle with it though

maybe try submerge the keg in some water to see if its leaking from the outpost

I blame pint glasses myself, especially the following day, or when the keg empty's.

Is the fridge a frost free type? They make pretty good desiccators.

kahlerisms said:
I don't lock my brewery so I suppose it's possible someone is coming in here walking past about $2000 of whisky, various appliances, computers, tools, audio gear, beer and just going nuts on soda water.
What's your address?

Gas is going to leak from the same place liquid does, if it does.

So if you've still got gas in the bottle, and a pressurised keg, as you've said, the answer isn't some variation of "the keg is leaking liquid". It just doesn't make sense.

Latest posts

Back