The Corona Virus (COVID 19) Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mind if I ask who you got that through? I was under the impression they didnt have an accurate test yet

I am in the states. My doctors practice is connected to one of the major local universities medical department.

Anyway, he said they are finding the test they are using is 95% accurate. I feel pretty lucky.

I am in the states. My doctors practice is connected to one of the major local universities medical department.

Anyway, he said they are finding the test they are using is 95% accurate. I feel pretty lucky.
Good luck and stay safe mate. Hope you're not in Arizona, wherever you are, take care.

ArcGIS Dashboards

I look at this pretty often to see what's going on.

China's numbers have 'stopped rising' for a while so I wouldn't believe their total.

When China's reported cases nearly stopped, so did their reported deaths. Becauser of the course of clinical disease, generally at leasty two week to death and often much more, the death count should have risen for some time. Their authorities are poor liars and almost certainly have understated cases and deaths.

Still, reports from around China suggest they largely achieved control but may be playing whack-a-mole with outbreaks.

Then there's Russia, where a very reported low death rate conflicts with unofficial accounts from hospitals (where there three doctors supposedly fell out of windows in one week). Or India, where authorities acknowledge problems in their data.

Death rates are falling. One certain cause is the lowering of average ages of infected persons as older ones shelter and younger ones party. To know how much that accounts for would require age-specific death rates. Other suggested possibilities are deliberate misidentification of cause of death and declining virulence of the virus.

At this point the results of the different antigen tests vary too much to accept them as gospel.

So if someone is asymtomatic, do they have an elevated temperature? And as brewers we know some of these thermometers just have got to be dodgy. It truly is the new-age, (apologies to any hippies on the site). I'm in Victoria so I think I'll start panic-brewing again.

So if someone is asymtomatic, do they have an elevated temperature? And as brewers we know some of these thermometers just have got to be dodgy. It truly is the new-age, (apologies to any hippies on the site). I'm in Victoria so I think I'll start panic-brewing again.
Elevated temperature is a symptom. Unreported cases are not necessarily asymptomatic. They include people with symptoms that are not severe and who either don't believe they have COVID-19 or believe it and don't want to report it.

My wife and I had no symptoms period. No fever, cough, nothing.

So screening people with thermometers is a waste of time because people with no elevated temperature or other flu-like symptoms could potentially be spreading the virus? Is that how it is? I just last week heard of agricultural labour travelling to and from work sites, all in the same mini-buses, no social distancing. After arrival they had the thermometer pointed at them before they start work. I guess this may get alot worse before it gets better.

Yep.

Screening for temp has it's flaws but it's the best we can do. My guess is that, since the public does not want self-isolate and follow the rules, we may as well go the way of Sweden.

At least if half the people with it are running a fever you can catch half the people.

There is theory that those people that are asymptomatic are spreading it far less than people that really have it bad.

I can believe that. What worries me is that people in my suburb don't seem to care about the virus at all.

When this thing started the world was thinking getting it was a death sentence. Now it doesn't seem to be too bad. People are getting tired of isolating, no sports, limited restaurant options. They are not seeing their friends and family dying off like they expected. People are no longer convinced all the isolating etcetera is helpful.

Probably a good thing it was Covid-19 that came out of China and demonstrated how much many nations weren't prepared for a pandemic. Could just as easily have been Avian flu, once it has figured out how to infect human to human effectively, a death rate of 60% is likely

As an older person, my main concern for my own self is to catch it, recover, and be left with affected cardio/pulmonary issues. Pulmonary Fibrosis is real bummer. My mother suffered from it. Strokes appear to be another issue with it. Of course as they say, never under-estimate the stupidity of the general public.

At least if half the people with it are running a fever you can catch half the people.

There is theory that those people that are asymptomatic are spreading it far less than people that really have it bad.
That would make sense, those with it bad would be coughing, possible runny nose ect. More chance of fluid exchange.

Face masks mandatory tomorrow in Melbourne Metro, even when driving, try not to look to shifty.🙂
dodgy dan.jpg

Back