The Cheese Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was nice and firm, although I used cows milk which I assume can make a bit of a difference. Still, I remember reading something about it being a bit more crumbly than the regular stuff. It'll be interesting to see how it compares, let us know!

Went and got my 10L of goats milk yesterday. They were being milked as I arrived and the kids even got to have a go at milking them, which they were excited about (city kids). Also managed to take home some feta, baked ricotta, camembert and blue cheese that she makes. Delicious!

I will let you know, glad the kids enjoyed milking the goats, I keep promising one of my granddaughters i would teach her just havent got to that yet, do you get the milk raw and pasturise it or use it raw.

<_< OKAY ALL YOU CHEESEY PEOPLE I need a bit of advice, I made my first neuf cheese the other day it was a bit bland so i brined it for a couple of hours, and then refridgerated it for a few days, just went to try it and it tastes okay BUT it has developed holes throughout the cheese, is that okay, is it supposed to do that, i have never tried neuf so really don't know what it should be like. Any advice appreciated :)

Does it smell ok? I've read that after draining your curds, if there are small bubbly holes throughout the cheese, then it's possible that you have a coliform contamination. Check out this thread. Seems that the cheese will be spongey as well. I'm definitely no expert though, so will be interested to hear what comes of it...

Actually, check out this blog... read down towards the end where she identifies that keeping the cheese in her kitchen fridge was the problem. The yeast used in her breadmaking that was throughout the kitchen fridge seemed to be causing the holes.

Does it smell ok? I've read that after draining your curds, if there are small bubbly holes throughout the cheese, then it's possible that you have a coliform contamination. Check out this thread. Seems that the cheese will be spongey as well. I'm definitely no expert though, so will be interested to hear what comes of it...

Actually, check out this blog... read down towards the end where she identifies that keeping the cheese in her kitchen fridge was the problem. The yeast used in her breadmaking that was throughout the kitchen fridge seemed to be causing the holes.

Smelt ok, tasted a bit bitter, but i got a bit of a tummy ache after eating a tiny bit. dont know if it was the cheese but i feed it to peppa pig in case. Sounds like it was the coliform contam as it was spongy too. I dont keep the cheese or goat milk in the same fridge as my bread yeast I have a seperate fridge for them, and another small one to age the cheese in. the house is full of fridges :lol: .I will check out the threads thanks.

I have read those threads and a couple others too, I am thinking that the buttermilk was the problem, I think I may have been infected as the quark I made the day before didnt turn out as good as usual, I know the goat milk was fine as I pasturise it straight from gerty and seal in sterile glass bottles, I always cover the cheese while it ripens so only way the bacteria could have gotten in was through the store brought buttermilk. I must find out how to make fresh buttermilk I dont think the store brought is fresh enough.

gbejnet(maltese cheese)

Nice and simple
<snip />

Good Luck.

I made this yesterday keezawitch. Lovely tasting cheese, quite tangy and salty too. I used camembert molds as I didn't have any baskets around, and the recipe made 3 flattish discs about 1.5-2cm high. I have 2 in the fridge and one that I am airdrying as an experiment. Once it develops a bit of a rind I'll age it in the fridge for a bit to see how hard it gets.

I love the idea of using yoghurt as the starter culture. We make 2L of yoghurt each week and it is permanently in the fridge.

I noticed that the curds were really firm and springy and quite difficult to cut without them causing currents and swinging around in the pot. I assumed that this was because of the yoghurt starter, however today I'm making cheddar with a mesophilic starter and I have the same issue. Well, it's not really an issue I guess. I shouldn't really complain that the curds are too firm. Just interesting. I've only ever worked with store bought cows milk before, and when cutting the curds it's like there's no resistance when you draw the knife through.

Is it the fact that the milk is goats milk, or that it's pasteurised? Anyone else found the same thing?

I made this yesterday keezawitch. Lovely tasting cheese, quite tangy and salty too. I used camembert molds as I didn't have any baskets around, and the recipe made 3 flattish discs about 1.5-2cm high. I have 2 in the fridge and one that I am airdrying as an experiment. Once it develops a bit of a rind I'll age it in the fridge for a bit to see how hard it gets.

I love the idea of using yoghurt as the starter culture. We make 2L of yoghurt each week and it is permanently in the fridge.

I noticed that the curds were really firm and springy and quite difficult to cut without them causing currents and swinging around in the pot. I assumed that this was because of the yoghurt starter, however today I'm making cheddar with a mesophilic starter and I have the same issue. Well, it's not really an issue I guess. I shouldn't really complain that the curds are too firm. Just interesting. I've only ever worked with store bought cows milk before, and when cutting the curds it's like there's no resistance when you draw the knife through.

Is it the fact that the milk is goats milk, or that it's pasteurised? Anyone else found the same thing?

I havent made cheese with cow milk so i cant compare but, the curds should be soft but hold shape, if they are a bit more rubbery we"ll call it that could be that the starter worked too well before adding the rennet, I have had this happen a couple of times, one turned out more like a mozarella without having to pull it :D , tasted good so didnt worry, the purists might, anyway for the maltese cheese add the rennet 5 - 10 minutes earlier will make a softer curd (I think sometimes the yogurt is a bit more acidic at times), for the cheddar take the temp down by about 5 degrees celsius, the farmhouse cheddar I made the other day seems a bit too crumbly(letting it age now) and I think it is because I took temp up to fast so have to watch that with goatmilk too, I dont get in a twist over it as long as it is edible I am happy, my maltese ones I did yesterday turned out great, I need to get some more baskets, but thats just for cosmetics. Good luck. P.S it you make yogurt with the goat milk it will be a bit runny, i am working on that as I like mine very firm. I use both pasturised and raw and it doesnt seem to make any difference.

Keeza

Thanks keeza. Yes, it was a little more rubbery and had that slightly mozzarella feel to it, almost like it squeaked when I chewed it. Could well be that the starter worked better than expected. Still tastes great, I am rarely unhappy with the cheese produced even if it's not quite right.

As far as the yoghurt goes, I've found temps and holding times quite important for firm yoghurt. I use the culture from cheeselinks, and store bought cows milk. I heat the milk to around 95C - the closer I get to boiling (but not actually boiling!), the firmer the yoghurt ends up. I then cool to 45C, add the culture (or a tblspn of yoghurt from the last batch) and maintain the temp in a thermos for 8 hours.

If it's still not thick enough, you can always pour it into cheesecloth and drain for half and hour? Then add a few tablespoons for cream and stir that through....mmmm delicious!.

Thanks keeza. Yes, it was a little more rubbery and had that slightly mozzarella feel to it, almost like it squeaked when I chewed it. Could well be that the starter worked better than expected. Still tastes great, I am rarely unhappy with the cheese produced even if it's not quite right.

As far as the yoghurt goes, I've found temps and holding times quite important for firm yoghurt. I use the culture from cheeselinks, and store bought cows milk. I heat the milk to around 95C - the closer I get to boiling (but not actually boiling!), the firmer the yoghurt ends up. I then cool to 45C, add the culture (or a tblspn of yoghurt from the last batch) and maintain the temp in a thermos for 8 hours.

If it's still not thick enough, you can always pour it into cheesecloth and drain for half and hour? Then add a few tablespoons for cream and stir that through....mmmm delicious!.

yep i am with you i havent had too many failures if i can eat it its good, I never had a problem with cows milk yoghurt its just the goatmilk one, I think the problem is that the fat molecules are smaller in goatmilk, but I have read a bit more and I am going to boil milk next time I usually just pasturise it then use it, also I plan to go 50/50 cow and goat milk I think that may help, I often stir cream through also I have stirred qwark through too, really tangy. I will let you know how that one goes.

Hi All,

I am thinking of giving cheese making a go, looking at buying the Country Brewer Kit (Country Brewer Kit) which seems like good value.

Any idea if there is a better value for money versions available??? Also anything else I should buy in addition to this???

If not I will just buy the Country Brewer Kit.

Cheers, Pok

Pok - that's what I have and it'll see you through a bunch of different cheeses. It really is a good beginner kit. The only other thing I could recommend would be a good cheesemaking book, like 'Home cheese making' by Ricki Carroll - I notice that this is cheaper on ebay, so do a bit of hunting around. Oh, and maybe use your DIY skills to make a cheese press. It's pretty easy, there's plenty of info on the web and it doesn't cost too much.

Good luck, and post back your results...

Found the book for $16.25 delivered.

Linky

NOTE- Book depository have a 10% off deal at the moment, us the code "APMA12" at the checkout. Ends 14th may, makes the book $14.63

Dont know if you have an ebook but got mine $10.33 (nook book). Also mary karlin , artisan cheeses for $16. Just use vpnpronet to purchase, get a ten hour block from them for$2.50.
cheers
sean

Book and Kit Ordered :D

Hi, I get my ongoing supplies from Cheeselinks in victoria the freight is a bit steep but I get my rennet and starters from them as unfortunately my local brewers cheese supplies arent the freshest, not a lot of cheesemakers locally i guess, and they just didnt work as rennet has a short shelf life and starters must be kept in freezer and they dont do this.The supplies from cheeslinks have been great as for baskets I got some from cheeselinks but a bit smaller than i expected, got some from country brewer and they are really good. Enjoy your cheesemaking :D

thats just freaky

The larvae themselves appear as translucent white worms, about 8 millimetres (0.3 in) long.[1] When disturbed, the larvae can launch themselves for distances up to 15 centimetres (6 in). Some people clear the larvae from the cheese before consuming while others do not.

Saw this cheese on the antonio carluccio ? Cooking show on the abc a few years ago. He did try the smallest amount possible and by hix facial expressions he wasnt that keen on it. Always thought i was up for any smelly cheese til i saw this one. Past my limit.cheers
Sean

Snip.. don't let it get to moist or the skin will fall off and it will be too runny.

Andrew

Just got the Mad Millie Blue Cheese kit and they advise scraping the mould off after 2 weeks or so ( ?? don't have the booklet here at work)

Wouldn't that be the same as taking the skin off?

Mine are 2 weeks old and have a thick green carpet of mould with the odd white bit

20120506_114232.jpg

Just got the Mad Millie Blue Cheese kit and they advise scraping the mould off after 2 weeks or so ( ?? don't have the booklet here at work)

Wouldn't that be the same as taking the skin off?

Mine are 2 weeks old and have a thick green carpet of mould with the odd white bit

View attachment 54355

Looks like a hamburger patty I found under the grill ;)

PS: Give Sim a ring, he'd know.

Back