The Brauduino (Matho’s Controller) Buy thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey bowhunter,

Sorry, been down in ACT without access to my list. I'll check and PM you tomorrow. Cheers!

A BIG THANK YOU to everyone who has paid so far! Almost there!

If you are not on the list and would like a kit, PM me - spaces open up from time to time.

If you need to pull out of the buy, please PM me and let me know so I can open up the spot for others. (there is currently one spot open)

Good News:
PCBs - prototype run from the new fab house should be arriving in the next week or so. The new sample temp probes should arrive tomorrow! I received final samples of the box and they are good - just need to finalise heatsink before ordering the production run.

Bad News:
The heatsink manufacturer contacted me and said the mould for the extrusion profile broke (yeah... annoying). The cost of a new mould is high, so I am back to looking for a new supplier.

Parts Received so far: buttons, stainless screws, nuts, nylon standoffs, buzzers, thermal paste, SSRs, Arduino Megas, Custom cables, Custom LEDs, Power connectors.

The list below indicates what I have received. Please don't edit this list as it contains payment information. If you have paid and it is not indicated on the list, wait a few days. I will try to update it regularly. Thanks Everyone!

1. Lael (x2) - paid
2. natdene - paid
3. Belter - paid
4. gap - paid
5. kingy - paid
6. barneey - paid
7. ArnieW - paid
8. The Judge - paid
9. bowhunterslodge x1 - paid
10. tateg - paid
11. LiquidCurrency - paid
12. rafinus - paid
13. crazyhorse - paid
14. marksy (x 2) - paid
15. JB - paid
16. Oggie
17. Masters Brewery - paid
18. Cervantes -paid
19. brewart - paid
20. sipahono -paid
21. BobCharlie - paid
22. jubilakka - paid
23. CoxR - paid
24. Capnk - paid
25. breakbeer - paid
26. Oneeye - paid
29. Screamadelica - paid
30. Neo04 - paid
31. claypot - paid
32. Jase - paid
33. slyt - communicated
34. lynchman x 2 - paid
35. Bigbern - paid
36. the boy from tas - paid
37. stux - paid
38. Shaunous - paid
39. jonasbegood - paid
40. vooharmy - paid
41. Tassiehopper - paid
42. buggybouy - paid
43. Misterwilson - paid
44. matteus - paid
45. parktho - paid
46. MrDave - paid
47. jabbos - paid
48. 9finger - paid
49. tommy160 - paid
50. bigmacthepunker - paid
51. nainsook - paid
52. BazzaB - paid
53. zwitter - paid
54. glen - paid
55. kiwisika - paid
56. sluggerdog - paid
57. smokomark - paid
58. SBOB - paid
59. Marc280 - paid
60. Dug - paid
62. Malty Cultural - paid
63. ferg - paid
64. camelbak28 - paid
65. 620rossco - paid
66. Nick R - paid
67. bowhunterslodge x2 - paid
68. Seemore - paid
69. Eucyblues - paid
70. Wort - paid
71. Mar5T - paid
72. Rambo - paid
73. lynchman x3 - paid
74. LarsjohanS - paid
75. fortmonty - paid
76. zappa - paid
77. Pugwash - paid
78. Catcher - communicated
79. Syd - paid
80. Mardoo - paid - (clear unknown price unpaid)
81. BlueMutt - paid
82. sik - paid
83. AndrewF - paid
84. northernbrewer - paid
85. dropbear85 - paid
86. niftinev - paid
87. bungelbear
88. Drunk Az - paid
89. freelander2002 (x2) - paid
91. Guysmiley54 - paid
92. Crozdog - paid
93. conjob - paid
94. Chris_O - paid
95. Brendrage - paid
96. Guidos - paid
97. madhomebrewer - paid
98. CoW77 - paid
99. MarketLane - paid
100. mojonojo (parts) - paid

Details about this kit if you want to know more:
Hi Everyone,

The costing came out to $245AUD per kit + $15 postage (AusPost express) once all the parts and exchange rates are accounted for.
If you haven't seen this post: http://aussiehomebre...46#entry1251289 It has more details on pricing etc.

If you are outside Aus, the kit is almost exactly 1.5kg, which means that the calculation needs to be for 1.5-2kg to allow for packaging (appx 150/200gr I think). If you are international, the price is $245+Intl postage+$5 for packaging materials. Go to: http://auspost.com.a...calculator.html and select Overseas (parcels) and check out weights. Generally better value can be had by combining weight - eg: 2 kits =3-3.5kg and usually makes shipping cost per kit half.

I've put together a quick (actually, it is 30mins...) video showing what is included and how it all goes together so if you are trying to figure out what is included and how difficult / easy it is, give it a watch. It is so beautifully simple to put together.
Take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdKQ31dLl28

If you are ready to pay - the information you need is here:
https://docs.google....?usp=send_form�

Based on the first survey I did, I'm looking at getting heating elements and stainless plates to make the build process easier. So there is a quick survey about that. The only question you have to complete is the one saying - Yes I will be responsible for the kit I build, not Lael (basically - you build it, you are responsible for it). Once you submit that, you'll get account details to put the money into, and I can start ordering parts! (I'll actually wait a little until we get enough people paid for this to go ahead). I'll add payment status to the above list once it starts coming in.

A BIG Thank You! to Austin and the Admin crew for giving me supporter status to allow me to handle all the messages coming through. Super appreciated!

Hi Lael,

Is the heatsink a common off the shelf item or is it something that you have designed specifically?
It is the manufacturers responsibility to maintain their dies either way (they are extruded as opposed to cast right?) so if they are trying to pass those costs on to you I would be pushing back strongly.
Can you post or pm me some piece numbers or requirements for the heatsink? I am happy to help you out in sourcing a new one if you like?

Ferg said:
Hi Lael,

Is the heatsink a common off the shelf item or is it something that you have designed specifically?
It is the manufacturers responsibility to maintain their dies either way (they are extruded as opposed to cast right?) so if they are trying to pass those costs on to you I would be pushing back strongly.
Can you post or pm me some piece numbers or requirements for the heatsink? I am happy to help you out in sourcing a new one if you like?
Hi Ferg,

The design is one that is not common. Space constraints to make it fit and allow space for other parts on the box mean that the potential number of dies that companies already have available is greatly reduced. It may be possible to go for a design that is more 'normal' (ie - without the outside fins folding over at the top - which is what allows easy attachment of a fan) and will not require a custom die. I'll PM you re sourcing. The issue is that we are looking at low volume for most manufacturers, so regardless of whether you want them to cover the die costs, the profit they are making from the order is not enough to cover them.

obviously I can't speak for everyone but personally I would be happy with a standard heat sink if it means we can get our hands on the kit sooner. At the end of the day home brewers are an innovative bunch, I'm sure we will find a way to mount the fan if need be. A couple of L brackets with some self tapping screws perhaps?

I think i want one of these, Could someone point me in the right direction. I just want a clear description of what the unit can and cant do and how to operate it. I am familiar with Arduino but im crap at code. Ive been trolling through the forum for hrs.
Cheers

This controller is specifically at single vessel brewing. It completely automates mash steps and the boil and alerts for hop additions. I'd post some links but I am on the phone. Lael is dropping in in 10 minutes l'll let him know you maybe interested.

Hi Dropbear85 et al

The heatsink has been an issue. I have seen (and I think there have been photos posted too) the style Lael is trying to get for the controller. As this box can drive twin elements, i think the optional fan is a very worthwhile inclusion. I have one of the previous Matho kits and with just a single 2400w element the heat sink gets way too hot to touch. So when there are up to 2 x 3600w elements I think the fan will be a requirement.

I have a mill and could fab up a heat sink but most folk just do not have that option. I saw the tolerance issues from suppliers and they were just poor and would not bolt together. I once ordered CNC parts for a display from about 6 different (Australian) suppliers and was in awe bolting it together as every part had perfect alignment and the product was as good as it could have been. The Chinese seem to have flexible measurements. Near enough is just not good enough.

I quietly think the supplier either had only limited stock or thought he was not making enough margin. It is rare that extrusion tooling breaks, not un-heard of but rare.

Like many I am happy waiting for the best product I can get. I do have a currently working system though so that makes waiting easier. I have seen the amount of samples etc Lael has piling up around his house and know he is doing an amazing job on this. If there is a legend status on this board then he deserves it.

Zwitter, james

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lael dropped out my way today to check tolerances for twin element setups. I have to say he is solely focused on getting this setup done. He told me the new proto of the board was in fab and he was expecting to test with in the next two weeks. Also discussed spark and the on comming development. For a bloke with a full time job he has certainly added a work load to his schedual.

MastersBrewery said:
This controller is specifically at single vessel brewing. It completely automates mash steps and the boil and alerts for hop additions. I'd post some links but I am on the phone. Lael is dropping in in 10 minutes l'll let him know you maybe interested.
Ya could also use it to control ya herms through the mash steps and convenience of switches for heat and pump.

I would prefer to wait for the best product possible. Truth is I'm so impressed with the dedication and quality control I'm thinking of getting another one!

Me too
vooharmy said:
I would prefer to wait for the best product possible. Truth is I'm so impressed with the dedication and quality control I'm thinking of getting another one!
Me too

Kingy said:
Ya could also use it to control ya herms through the mash steps and convenience of switches for heat and pump.
That's what I'm planning with one of my setups.

Then use gas for boil.

I'm hoping to make 2 different styles each brew day.

Latest posts

Back