The Brauduino (Matho’s Controller) Build/Advice/Question Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marksy said:
Hey gang,

So for the guys that have wired this already and used 2.5mm cable, what spade connectors did you use?

The real question I`m asking, I can only find atm 4.8mm for max 2.5mm cable, how`d you fit 20Amp rated cable into that whole? I`m all for tight holes but this one seems a little too tight.

I can find 6.8mm which will do it, did you use that and squash the sides down?

Marksy
Jaycar have 4.8 mm female spades in the yellow colour. Check online.

gap said:
Jaycar have 4.8 mm female spades in the yellow colour. Check online.
Yeah I know that, but I can only find them in 4.8mm x 2.5mm cable size. If I`m already using 2.5mm cable how the hell can I fit more in? I am wiring mine for 20Amps.

What has everyone done?

marksy said:
Hey gang,

So for the guys that have wired this already and used 2.5mm cable, what spade connectors did you use?

The real question I`m asking, I can only find atm 4.8mm for max 2.5mm cable, how`d you fit 20Amp rated cable into that whole? I`m all for tight holes but this one seems a little too tight.

I can find 6.8mm which will do it, did you use that and squash the sides down?

Marksy
Could try these ones

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Wire%2C-Cable-%26-Accessories/Cable-Accessories/Quick-Connect-Terminals/Mini-Female-Spade---Yellow---Pk-8/p/PT4722
Cable entry size 6.6mm.- Wire size 4 - 6mm dia.- Spade width - 4.8mm.- PKT 8...

tateg said:
<- what they said ;)

The colours standards are generally (quick google copy paste):
  • Red coloured insulation is for wire sizes 0.5 - 1.5 mm dia,
  • Blue coloured insulation suits cables 1.5 - 2.5 mm dia ,
  • Yellow coloured insulation is good for 4.0 - 6.0 mm dia

Hi everyone,
It seems that there are quite a few questions re the wiring of the controller.
For general information, there are many ways of expressing wire sizes.
Household electrical wiring dimensions are specified in mm2 (square milli metres). A google search will show the other terms used.
On the other hand the female spade terminals that are being referred to are identified by the diameter of the wire they will accept.
It is a concern to see these two standards (?)being used without clarification.
There is just too much at stake to assume that you think you understand what is meant without reference to correct size/dimensions.

Just my two bobs worth.

Cheers
Bazza B

marksy said:
Yeah I know that, but I can only find them in 4.8mm x 2.5mm cable size. If I`m already using 2.5mm cable how the hell can I fit more in? I am wiring mine for 20Amps.

What has everyone done?
Mine is wired with 2.5mm flex (rated to 20A) with single crimp on connectors (red) they are wired into a terminal block for splitting etc. I think the way Zwitter and others have done it with daisy chained connectors is neater :)

BazzaB said:
Hi everyone,
It seems that there are quite a few questions re the wiring of the controller.
For general information, there are many ways of expressing wire sizes.
Household electrical wiring dimensions are specified in mm2 (square milli metres). A google search will show the other terms used.
On the other hand the female spade terminals that are being referred to are identified by the diameter of the wire they will accept.
It is a concern to see these two standards (?)being used without clarification.
There is just too much at stake to assume that you think you understand what is meant without reference to correct size/dimensions.

Just my two bobs worth.

Cheers
Bazza B
They don't make cables in a thickness of 4.8mm or 6.8mm do they?

Wire and crimp,sizing

Wire is the area of the copper conductor. Calculated by calulating the area of a single strand and multiplying by the number of strands. And yes they make 4mm 6mm 10mm etc. average house main wires to the street are 16mm.

Crimp terminals are measured by the width of the terminal. Standard spade is 1/4 inch so about 6.25mm. The ones we use on the sockets are 4.8mm. The insulated terminals we generally use have coloured insulation that tells the size of wire that will fir in the crimp bit. Red, blue and yellow. As i stated in my build instructions the blue will take one 2.5mm and yellow will take 2x 2.5mm cables if you twist them together.

They Are available at Jaycar as that is where mine came from. I would think supacheap or Repco etc will have or can order in.

Zwitter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi brauduino brewers

ArdBir 2.8.3RC8 heater problems.

There are no issues with this revision. The problem AFAIK is that you have not run setup and entered correct values.
I just uploaded mine and it would not heat (as expected)
Then went into setup and guess what set for GAS heating! ( i bet most of you never. Even knew that was an option)
I Set to electric and Fahrenheit to Celsius etc and it tuns elements on as expected

Therefore i will state that the error is between the chair and the keyboard.........

I think I have said this before

YOU MUST RUN THE SETUP

And again after software reloads etc

Zwitter

lael said:
A quick update - slugger dog sent his unit to me to check out. Finished marking last night and started checking it out. Basically, it looks like there are 2 issues to be aware of.

#1. The SSRs are designed to go DC side to DC in the center so that the AC points are far away from each other. Make sure you notice that the + and - for the dc are on opposite sides where they meet in middle and wire them appropriately.

#2. There seems to be an issue with ardbir 2.8.3 that prevents the heat from switching on. The same behaviour is not present in v 2.6.7 which is what most units shipped with. I'll try to figure out what is going on this weekend.
#3 - If you are using twin and earth for your 240v side, make sure that it is not sticking up too high in the box. Fitting everything in one relatively small box was hard. There is about an inch between the back of the power sockets and the back of the Arduino Mega. If your twin and earth sits high and pushes against the arduino mega, it can push it off the pins and cause a loose fit and potentially arcing (will destroy your arduino). Twin and earth has fewer, more solid cores. It is slightly more rigid, which allows you to 'shape' the wire. Flex has a lot more thinner strands and is... more flexible - but it also can't be 'shaped'. Choose wisely. Make sure there isn't pressure pushing your arduino off its pins.

Have fun building! :)

oh of course - stay safe, get everything built / checked by an electrician :)

zwitter said:
Hi brauduino brewers

ArdBir 2.8.3RC8 heater problems.

There are no issues with this revision. The problem AFAIK is that you have not run setup and entered correct values.
I just uploaded mine and it would not heat (as expected)
Then went into setup and guess what set for GAS heating! ( i bet most of you never. Even knew that was an option)
I Set to electric and Fahrenheit to Celsius etc and it tuns elements on as expected

Therefore i will state that the error is between the chair and the keyboard.........

I think I have said this before

YOU MUST RUN THE SETUP

And again after software reloads etc

Zwitter

Yeah zwitter i brewed on Saturday with no problems with the 2.8.3rc8 version new controller rocks

Looks like zwitter found the error... it was me, not the software! :)

Thanks James!

lynchman said:
Yeah zwitter i brewed on Saturday with no problems with the 2.8.3rc8 version new controller rocks
What's the difference between the two revisions.

I'm technically challenged, so if there isn't a huge difference between the two version and the controller work with the old version, then I'll probably just stick with that.

What are the advantages of upgrading to the new version?

Thanks

I bought a 80mm fan for the heat sink today. The heat sink holes are 10mm or more narrower than the fan holes. Is the info on the build video incorrect or do I have a different fan design.

10mm larger, that's quite a large hole for a computer fan.

Can you post a pic of the fan?

breakbeer said:
10mm larger, that's quite a large hole for a computer fan.

Can you post a pic of the fan?
Maybe 10mm difference in dimension between holes??
Bazza

Hi Tassiehopper

The required fan is a 70mm version at 12v

Can be found on ebay etc.
Zwitter

Thanks Zwitter.
I got the 12v bit right at least :ph34r:
Yer sorry not real clear on my description, distance between the holes. Should have measured it first.

Latest posts

Back