The Australian National Homebrewing Conference

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a bow Andy, you and the team did a sterling job and anyone who didn't enjoy themselves can only blame themselves. The presentations were interesting and varied, as were the presenters themselves. I have to say it was fantastic value for money, entertaining informative and social.

The beers that were there to sample were also widely varied and no one could honestly say there was nothing they liked. I discovered I liked vanilla porter and the scotch ale was yummy. The catering was first class and then venue was terrific. I'm sure many will rave for a long time about the beer matching dinner.

It was great putting many names, screen names and faces together.

I will add more comments as time goes on but just want to let you know before you hibernate, you did a great job and I'm sure that will be acknowledged by all who attended,

Cheerz Wabster

Yes an absoute cracker conference and terrfic value for money. The sessions were informative, food was great, and there was an endless supply of well crafted beer from commercial folk during the conference and dinners, and from fellow homebrewers at club night.

Congrats to all.

cheers
roach

Oh and an obvious question from me, about how and when we will get access to all the photos taken. I seemed to have featured in a number of them on the brewery tours especially, and I'd like to prove to my wife (and doctor) that I was upright at the time hahaha.

Anyone have any info on this? Cheerz Wabster.

As already mentioned the conference was an absolute cracker ... more beer than you could shake a stick at, great people, varied and informative talks ... lots of give aways, competitions.

Went well beyond expectations.

Cant say enough about the ANHC team and there absolutely awesome effort they put in.

Now... I'm going to go sleep for a couple of months bear style :)

Cheers!!!!

Andyd

Not before I have a chance to publicly thank you and the committee and everyone associated with running this event. Simply can't imagine how it could be improved, but after seeing what came from your collectively creative imaginations I wait in anticipation.

Highlights - The pairing dinner, well I would end up writing an epic trying to describe the joy that brought. Club Night, wall to wall nice people, great fellowship and great beers. And of course the presentations, and the generosity shown by guest speakers who made themselves available and accessible both during the conference and on club night.

Cheers to all the new aquaintances made during the conference.

Again well done!!!!!

Screwy

Yeah - We approach coopers a couple of times, but they couldn't be a part of it this year. They did, however, send along a keg of Sparkling Ale for Tony Wheeler's presentation.

Thanks for being there everyone. We had a ball putting it on for you and are stoked that you had a great time...

Now... I'm going to go sleep for a couple of months bear style :)

Cheers!!!!

Andyd
Ooops. And I enjoyed it so much at the time. It was a big few daze.
Best Sparkling I've had for some time.
Newcastle is so far from Coopers, although the pub near my lhbs has some very well-cared-for Coopers Pale.

Unofficial people's choice award for the ANHC photo ID.
Leses.jpg

Home now. Need brekky. Having a no-brew day although a Roggenbier was planned. May do some bottling/ pitching today, though, when energy has replenished.

Beeerz-ah
Les

*Edit - P.S. The jury is still out on no-chill after the ANHC

Far too many Les' :lol: Imagine em all saying "Is thus the right tram bro" :lol:

I had an excellent time at the conference, it was so professionally put together that to me it seemed seamless and without fault.
Well done to the committee and all the volunteers, thank you so much. Like Screwy I found the Pairing night to be simply amazing and unforgettable.

The lectures were interesting and informative and I have come home with a lot of new ideas to implement, and it has certainly rekindle my love for beer and brewing.

Andrew

Great time
Great people
Great to see Canberra Brewers get best beer at Club Night
oh and Champion Brewer, and Runner-up Champion Brewer
and win the Trivia Night....

K

Home for half a hour and Im back on AHB :( .Great time to had by one and all.Nice to meet lots of new faces. Even on the bus to the airport met Phil/Peter? and Mike , funny its seems like brewers were ever where.My liver is now being transplanted ready for next years bash.Cheers to the guys who put a lot of thier valuable time and effort in to this project.I might even get a beer or two into next years comp.Where do I find the results ?
Thanks GB

Big +1 from me

The conference was fantastic well done to the ANHC crew for putting it together. :icon_cheers:

Was great to put faces to names and be able to chew the fat for a while, cheers to the AHB contingent.

And a myth busted : the beer gut meter was reading average or lower in my books and a lot of responsible beer consumption - up until 5pm anyway. ;)

Oh and best beer tasted for me was the Bling IPA damn nice.

Cheers, Andrew.

Oh and best beer tasted for me was the Bling IPA damn nice.
The pale ale of yours was a pretty good drop too Andrew. I have to admit to being surprised at how good it was. To me it was a really good beer, not just a good gluten free beer.

My favourites would have to be all the Temple beers I tried. Had some at the conference/dinners and a couple at Beer Deluxe on Wednesday.

Tony's beer at the food matching dinner was right up there too. Too many good beers to chose from.

Best. Weekend. Ever.

I was amazed by the slickness and professionalism of the whole show. It went off without a hitch and every detail was covered. Magic work Andy and crew.

Some highlights for me:

- Meeting loads of great people and putting faces to names and handles.
- The presentations, especially the yeast ones on Saturday and Phil Sexton's take on the industry.
- Friday's dinner, in particular the golden ale. Spectacular stuff.
- Talking water with John Palmer.
- Club night - I spent almost the entire night sipping on sour beers! The raspberry lambic from Michael, the berliner weisses from WA, kook's brett experiments, they were all terrific.
- Swapping Flanders Red stories with Jamil over a Rodenbach at the BBC.
- Bagging a prize in the AABC.
- Top quality home and craft brewed beers all weekend.

Can't wait for the next one...

Would anyone like to share the results of the AABC.
Would love to but the memory is pretty blurry. I only know Goatherder's and that is only because I judged the class and he was sitting next to me at the awards dinner. Hopefully the organisers will get the results online this week.

all I remember was that Ross Mitchell from Canberra was the grand champion. :)

Excellent show. as professional as any international scientific conference I've been to! that's saying something as some of them have 1000+ delegates paying ~$800 a head each for registration.
It'd be nice next time to get a more expansive trade display.

Technicality of John Palmer's talks was great. I wasn't sure whether he'd get right down to it for fear of going over too many people's heads, but it was good to hear what he thinks. Makes pretty good sense. residual alkalinity, alkalinity, alkalinity!

great to meet new people too. Rory, Shannon, Andy (thankyou sooo much for the mettwurst!), Tor***(!?? great dude with great moe), Shandy, Josh, Chris and Dean.. nice to meet you all.

It'd be nice next time to get a more expansive trade display.

Now that would be interesting! I would like to think that there could be a Micro-brewery showcase type deal. Set-up & serve. Have a chat to the guy that actually brewed the beer.

Cheers
Gerard

Now that would be interesting! I would like to think that there could be a Micro-brewery showcase type deal. Set-up & serve. Have a chat to the guy that actually brewed the beer.

Cheers
Gerard

I guess you weren't there then Gerard...as from memory there were over 30 different beers showcased & we had several of the brewers there to discuss their beers...
Temple Brewing's beers were the highight for me...his Golden Ale was a masterpiece...

+++

A fantastic event guys, brilliantly run, & the best brewing related weekend I've enjoyed ever. Thank you so much :)

cheers Ross

No Ross I wasn't. We were approached a while ago, but as far as I know a showcase set-up wasn't mentioned. Maybe next time.

Cheers
Gerard

Cheers
Gerard

I actually meant the manufacturers of the goods telling us the virtues of their products. As ross said, there were many microbrewers there with samples in tow, and they were all very good. Some outstanding. :beerbang:
It was great to have Jon, Jess and Chris there who are at the pointy end of manufacturing yeast and cleaning products... and I mean it would be good to have more trade display, well I mean more stuff like that, stuff for the brewers. Not just for them to directly peddle stuff to us, but have their tech guys there to really inform us so we can make educated choices. I thought Jon's talk on cleaning was really really good.
The guys on the committee did a truly outstanding job selecting speakers. I would've never even thought to have someone like Jon at a conference like that.. but it was brilliant having him there.
Of course, that's one thing but having John and Jamil there was a whole other level of coolness.. :)

Back