The Amber Revolution

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any exposure is good exposure but it still shits me that no one will call a spade a spade ie point out that half the micro/craft beers aren't micro/craft, they are megabrewries cashing in on the ignorance of the consumer.

Not sure in all that keen on the writing style either. Just a little hard to read/follow more than it should be for a beer article.

But moving on from that good article. Although I though 3ravens had been around longer than mountain goat? Also pumpkin ale might be out there for Aust market but perfectly normal for USA. Gingerbread beer? I'm not convinced. If ur marketing strategy was out there beers but still not too out there because of the immature oz market then I recon a diff beer style would be the go. But we have had that disc time and time again on AHB.

Would have been nice to mention the actual craft brewing movement being strongly supported by us 'home' brewers. Things like ANHC, state and national comps etc. Afterall we are probably a sizable portion of the craft beer market

FTA:

Alongside the olive, the barman has placed a hop flower and in this, held close to your nose, you might detect aromas usually found in certain beers.
Are they;

- using stale hops?
- using a stale reporter?
- trying to make it sound like/reinforce the notion that hops are this tiny ingredient that lend a subtle influence to a beer if you're really wanky and know what you're looking for?

Sure, mainstream beer doesn't have a huge hop aroma hit, but perhaps if people knew what they were looking for they might know if it was there or not. I'm all for getting people to try these newer beers, but pretending that the better-beer-culture is wanky or all cardigan-wearing CAMRA style is not going to help. Where's the "man's IPA"?

"...The crowd included a fair number of what could reasonably be called traditional beer folk..."

Overweight men with goatees and bonds singlets?

Small, sturdy and nimble Bavarian peasants?

Coal miners?

Seriously depressed habitual drinkers?

Who the f*ck are the "traditional beer folk"? Where is their magical village?

Of course the irony is that I fit pretty neatly into the first category...

"...The crowd included a fair number of what could reasonably be called traditional beer folk..."

Overweight men with goatees and bonds singlets?

From front page of The Age
fpp_BEER1-300x340.jpg

Seems the only criteria is the overweight part...

...it still shits me that no one will call a spade a spade ie point out that half the micro/craft beers aren't micro/craft, they are megabrewries cashing in on the ignorance of the consumer.

At least they didn't promote any of the megaboutique beers.

craft-beer-420-420x0.jpg

At least they didn't promote any of the megaboutique beers.

Knappstein Enterprise Brewery is owned by Lion Nathan.

But if the staff in the tiny little brewery are dedicated to making an interesting beer then I call a spade a spade and Knappstein is a craft brewery.

Good to see Ron And Renata getting more press

Foe me the sole purpose of microbreweries is to tell me what to brew next after paying $5 for one of their bottles.

What some corksniffers with hop flowers in their hair are doing is none of my business.

Homebrewers talking about breweries is like hotrodders discussing the latest ABS in a Lexus. :p

Knappstein is a craft brewery winery with a small brewery recently returned to the site.
Fixed.

There's a rich history there - The Enterprise Brewery closed in 1916. The winery has operated since 1969 making great wines, but it was only in 2006 that the head brewer from SABC/Southwark joined Malt Shovel and helped Knappstein get a beer going again. They only make that one beer (admittedly, quite well) now. I still am of the opinion that this is a winery that used to be a brewery, that now makes a pretty darn good beer, as opposed to a 'craft brewery'.

Okay, it's splitting hairs, but what can I say - I'm a pedant. Marketing the beer under a new name (or, say, making at least one other beer) would solve the distinction for me, but the fact that they didn't only serves to strengthen my opinion.

From front page of The Age
fpp_BEER1-300x340.jpg

Seems the only criteria is the overweight part...
We sat next to Ron Fergulio at ANHC....
He is in the process of building a new brewery in Brunswick...
After the herms/3 vessel/BIAB taste test ( in which BIAB won albeit in a contentious count back) , it was suggested to him that all he needs is a big pot and a large swiss voile bag to brew in :lol: :ph34r:

I put in a comment - see the "more comments" section - but for some reason called Bluetongue Bluetooth - twice :huh:
Brainwashed.

:p

Latest posts

Back