Thanks - First AG Success - AG IS EASY

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickaxe

Reaction score
I just wanted to post a thanks to all those who have offerred advice, put the time into writing How To's, and take the time to answer mine and other people's questions and problems.

I just got through my first AG brewday and am surprised how simple it is. Anyone who is balking at going AG, i'd highly recommend giving a BIAB a go and refer to these guides:

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/38674-move-to-all-grain-for-thirty-bucks/
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/44264-20l-stovetop-all-grain-aussie-lager/
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/60922-2-pot-stovetop-ag-with-lauter/

With an esky and 2 pots i've managed to go AG with no real change to my process from Extract brewing.
I managed to get a 23L batch, hit most of my numbers more or less with only a small volume issue due to overestimating my esky size. From here on in, it's just refining my 'technique'.

I can't thank everyone here enough, this forum and the people on it are bloody GOLD!

Well done mate... :beerbang:

AG looks complicated when your first starting out but if you follow the many guides and read the threads on here relating to the process, once you've done your first you wonder what you were worried about.

Its a fairly easy process if your well prepared. (And once you learn what all the terminology is)

+1 for what Pickaxe said. With the guides and help on AHB your course through starting AG is clear. I recommend plenty of pre-study and good prep and you can have a smooth first-time brew day.

I'm on a serious budget so went single vessel BIAB so it doesn't have to be at all expensive. I think my total investment for a used 40 liter pot, BIAB bag (home made), foam camping pads for insulation and thermometer was about $50.

It works well and is an awesome way to learn the ropes of AG. Fully recommend!!!

Good work mate - just punched out my first one too and the help here was invaluable!

Cheers,

AJ

Wow, the brew just hit high krausen and man, is there some dramatic differences.

A thick creamy krausen for one. Much thicker than I've had previous. It tastes incredible, ie. there is actually a malt profile behind the hop flavour/bitterness. It's blonde as anything (wey pils and wheat), which is a refreshing change from extract orange.

I dont know why i didn't change earlier. Its not just a slight upgrade, its a completely different drink. I cant wait until this conditions.

I reckon I'm gonna get well close enough to S&W Pacific Ale to be pretty chuffed with myself. I think Goomba said he was curious to see the change after the first AG brew. Man, do I know what he's talking about now. Can never go back....

Lol, another one bites the grain dust....

Good job, you won't go back.

Cheers,
D80

I'm part way through videoing 'how to make bucket-in-bucket lauter', but I have to take the tin lids and SWMBO out.

I'll finish it (hopefully) tonight, edit and put on youtube. Then I'll post it back into the 2 pot stovetop method with lauter.

When I get around to brewing next, I'll be videoing the method. But it's just finding time to brew at the moment........

Good to see you enjoying it pickaxe - I think the biggest thing about switching to AG, is that you think to yourself 'I'm amazed, I just made wort. I've done what I never thought possible'.

Latest posts

Back