Forward planning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all and firstly thanks for admitting me to your forum.

Well worn story here, brewed over 40 years ago when it was rather basic, managed to produce a reasonable drop, but being young and broke as long as it was close enough it was good enough. Fast forward and now approaching retirement a chance conversation with a colleague ( who unbeknown to me is a keen brewer ) has led me back to the fold. Crikey things have changed, I have really enjoyed it so far. I am about to go all grain, just deciding on the gear that will best suit my requirements. Cheers.

Gday Dasher, If you want to start home brewing again, I would first get in to fermenting. Enjoy the beers while you build a system that suits you.

Get a good fermenter, most go pressure vessels.
Buy an all grain cube of wort and good yeast. Possible dry hopping.
This is the easiest way to get a large part of your technique honed and to get good beer from the get go.
Cleaning and keeping it sanitary is 100% needed, get this right and the rest is easy.

You will most likely want a way of controlling the ferment temperatures , a temp controller c/w fridge or glycol.

Brew in a bag is the cheapest way into all grain brewing and works very well. Packaging your wort ,Hot cubing / no chill.
You can pick up a BIAB from a local home brew store. Or you can make one out of a used or bought new S/Steel keg.

Kegland and Kegking sell lots of different systems, I would look there first as to what is possible.

Power supply amperage is also one thing to over come.

You may need Brewfather or beer smith 3 to scale your recipes to your system.

I have a 3 vessel system that is very accurate , but it requires more work and time.
Also I have the 35L robobrew and 65L brewzilla and a 65L Digiboil that work very well.

I find that my brew day is around 6 hours and I want as much Wort volume I can get for that time invested,
for me it is 44 - 66 litres.

There are a lot of youtube brewers to learn from.

Good luck with your journey.

Thanks Two Crows, after some to and fro have decided on a CP BIAB, as for fermentation the best I can do at the moment is my cellar, at least the temperature is constant, done some FWKs and extracts and ok so far, still a long way to go but it’s fun. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back