Temp Control During Fermentation - Please Help A Newbie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone out there got a dead fridge big enough for a 400 litre stainless fermenter?????.....lol

Are you the guy with the ex dairy tank? I could do with one of those but the BIAB bag might be a bit hard to hoist :p

Thanks everyone for you great advice and ideas.

Last week I thought I had come up with a perfect solution to my problem by using a fish tank heater but unfortunately to my surprise the fish tank heater glass broke when I filled up the container with luke warm water so I had to go back to the drawing board.

I have been thinking and thinking about the best/cheap was to control the temperature of my beer the entire week, and of course I have been thinking alot about drinking my beer to.

I jumped onto ebay for one last chance to see if I could score a cheap fridge, and guess what, I DID, check it out: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fridge_W0QQitemZ320...bayphotohosting

So I recon I am going down the route of working fridge/tempmate, I really hope all this extra money will improve my beer as much as I am expecting.

Now all I have to do is figure our how to get the fridge back to my house, I only live 5km from this guy but I only have a sedan and of course I have to explain this to my wife.

I will update this post with pics once I have my setup complete.

Thanks again.

Ok, I got my fridge which can hold 2 fermentors and all is now good in the world, well almost.

Here's the thing, the temp in the fridge is between 15 and 16 degrees and I want to get it up to 18-20 because I use the Coopers kit with the Coopers kit yeast.

Eventually I will get a fridgemate and hook it all up but for now I want to get a low voltage light that will generate just enough heat to keep it at my desired temperature.

I would like to hear from others what they have done to resolve this issue.

At the moment I am using 2 hotwater bottles but this just seems like to much work and a constant reminder of my gorgeous beer.

If you have any recommendations for me please include a link or a picture so I can get a visual understanding.

As always, thanks for your great advice.

Shaun

Back