Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Tax on cheap imported beer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gnomebrewer, 19/5/19.

1. Gnomebrewer

Posted 19/5/19
    I was talking to someone about alcohol taxes this morning, and got to thinking about cheap imported beers. As most who've gone to a bottleshop looking for a cheap lager would know, imported macro lagers are now often cheaper than Aussies. In particular, at the moment I can get 'Tun Bitter' at $30 for a 30 can block. How can they do it? Do they get a tax rebate, or pay less tax than Aussie made beers? That's unfair if they do. Looking at the maths:
    30 cans @ 330mL per can and 4%ABV means 30x0.33x0.04=0.396L of alcohol
    Tax on bottled/canned beer over 3.5% is $50.40 per litre. So that's 0.396x50.40=$19.96 on a block of Tun.
    GST on a $30 sale is $2.73, so tax on the block of Tun Bitter is $19.96+$2.73 = $22.69.
    That leaves $7.31 out of the sale to pay for the beer/brewing, canning, distribution (from Belgium), marketing, bottle shop profits, brewery profits etc. I just don't see how that's possible - am I missing something? How are our local breweries supposed to compete with that? I haven't tried Tun Bitter, maybe it's sh$$house, but that's kind of irrelevent.

HaveFun likes this.
  2. MHB

Posted 19/5/19
    Nearly, but you get a discount on the alcohol content, comes to about 1.15%, its to compensate for the GST, otherwise it would be a tax on a tax.
    So the alcohol calculation would be on 4%-1.15%=2.85%. The excise comes to 30*0.33*0.0285*$50.40=$14.22(ish), given the rate is right, haven't looked it up recently.
    Still not a lot of fat on the bone, its pretty hard for anyone other than a very big brewery to make much of a living selling packaged beer, you need to be selling millions of units to make a buck.
    Probably why most small breweries are selling direct, you can make a lot more if you keep all the margin.
    Mark