Tassie Trip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.

So many options. I'll have the missus and tin lids in tow, so I won't be going too hard.

Might try a few of the places in Hobart, as we will be in town for four days.

Two Meters Tall sounds good, especially the sours. Have been dying to try some with a look to brew some myself.

I might try Seven Sheds as well.

And of course, I'll track down some Morrison's.

Beautiful Place, Moo Brew is sold in shops along the Hobart foreshore for take away, I really enjoyed the Belgo.

Necro thread alert.

Heading down to Hobart for work X-( but it means I can try something over the weekend.

Missus has already pencilled in preachers. Had a look at squires bounty (closed when we popped down to Salamanca on a sunday morning), but according to their website, they're JS-centric.

I'll look at Jack Greene and New Sydney.

As for 2m tall. I had one of his spelt ales. That's kinda turned me off from going there again, and once I get stuck into my APA, I reckon my tastes will get fussier again.

Recommend the New Sydney, normally has a good range of beersand if it is cold enough, they may have the fire going. The fire is enough reason to visit..
If you want to have a beer on Salamance, try Knopwoods, they had a few different beers, although I cant remember what they were. We were there a few weeks ago and they had WRDA on tap, which is why i probably liked it. Not a huge selection from memory but better than Irish Murphys up the road.
We don't go to Hobart much, but I always enjoy the New Sydney.
Cheers
LagerBomb

I'm a big fan of Preachers. They had Chimay on tap last time I was there. They try and get as many Tasmanian/Australian craft beers on tap as they can as well. In summer, they have a very nice outdoor area. In winter, they should have a fire going inside for you. It's very cosy in there.

I also don't mind a tasting paddle at Squires. You'll be able to find whatever the current Malt Shovel limited release is on tap as well.

The New Sydney might have some live music for you, it's a nice pub.

Jack Greene is mucho dinero and rather trendy. Very large selection of expensive bottled beers.

I would check out the Lark Distillery as well. They do a tasting of their whiskys which are very nice. They are a stones through from the other joints nearer the wharf area. There's also the Nant Whisky Bar 5 seconds from Squires in Salamanca Square but I've yet to try it.

Woop - thought I'd bump this thread instead of starting my own. This and one of the other tassie threads have covered a lot of bases. I'm heading to Hobart in the morning for the week and then launceston for 2 nights before flying home. Planning on sampling as much local beer and produce as I can alongside all the usual tourist stuff. We're staying 500m walk from both Preachers and Jack Greene - :-D. How convenient!
If anything else has popped up since this thread was last bumped let me know, cheers

If you get to drive out to a place between the east coast and launceston called weldsborough or weldborough (hope I've got that right) there is a hotel that claims to sell every craft beer local to Tas as well as ciders.
We were driving past in a rush to try and miss our flight but it looked like my kind of town and my kind of pub. Not directly en route for you but Tas is so small, it could be done.
This was 2 years ago so check it still exists before considering the trek. Stop in at the cheese dairy on the same route too.

Ooh, will have a look. We're planning on making a day of the drive so a few stops along the way aren't out of the question

Hobart to launnie via weldborough will be at least 5 hours driving. But it is epic scenery and a great road to drive (even more fun on a motorbike!)
Stop at Kate's berry farm in Swansea for some tasty eats along the way.
I haven't been to the weldborough pub yet but am told it is well worth it.
Cock n bull in launnie is still good for a pub meal and they have a few local beers on tap. The bartender will often try to talk you out of craft beer but insist that you don't want boags anything.
If you're in launnie on Saturday morning, get along to harvest market. Everyone there grows or makes what they sell and there is some awesome tasty stuff there.
If you're into cider, get along to dickens cider house. It's a tiny little bar near the princess theatre and he makes all the cider there on tap plus he has a fairly extensive selection of Tassie beer wine and spirits. I've lost many a good weekend due to being there the night before.
The boags brewery tour might sound good but don't be asking any questions. The guides don't really know beer. Or beer stuff. Or anything that you might like to know except for how big their ferment tanks are.

Bring your growler would be a good tip that needs to be added.....Quite a few places doing refills now. The Winston in North Hobart is worth a look......The bloke who runs it, Chris, used to run Nectar back in Bris years ago.
I'll be brewing out out at Seven Sheds Thursday and Friday so pop in if you can get out to Railton and say hi.

Get yourself to The Taste of Tasmania while you're in Hobart ( pretty sure it's still on) - great food and beer/wine - I'm sure that was on your agenda anyway. Also, MONA is spectacular if you have even a passing interest in Art and it also happens to be co-located with the Moo-Brew brewery and Moorilla winery. Great time of year to be in Tassie!

Edit: the Taste has a beer tent with lots of the Tassie craft beers and ciders at very reasonable prices. I didn't get to spend as much time as I'd have liked this year as we cut our trip short, such a great event. The Melbourne equivalent sucked balls, over priced, too much focus on promotions, not enough on produce and food.

Thanks for the tips guys really appreciate it. Currently at squires having a hop thief and watching the cricket, off to Preachers next. Checking out New Sydney tonight and a gig at the Brisbane. Loving the temperature here - it hit 43deg at home today...

Brisbane hotel has the best range of beers at any punk/metal pub I've been to. Last show I went to I think I was drinking bridge road pales or something while watching the band. King parrot from memory.

If you haven't found it yet, The Abbey in Sandy Bay. Same owners as Preachers. It's their cider bar with extensive bottle shop attached.

New Sydney is ******* great. Nogne / bridge rd aurora borealis on tap, band warming up, 12 taps + hand pump. Beer through figs is delicious

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back