Tassie Trip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still at the New Sydney Liam? Bout to finish working and a cold beer would be ace on this tropical Tassie day ( raining all afternoon)

Let me know when you get up to Launceston and I can show you around our brewery if you want (Morrison Brewery).

Why are so many places shut on a Sunday? New Sydney shuts in an hour and the sun is still up. This is completely alien to me.

'Cause you're in Tassie. Gets worse when you're in Launceston. Mind you, The long days and daylight savings have a way of creeping up on a QLDer. Still does it to me.

Made it to "Launnie" after a great drive up the coast and through the hinterland via Scottsdale - fun drive!
Crown cellars is good with very helpful staff. Beers appear to be fresh although the glass fridges are open to the setting souwestern summer sun so I'm not sure if the hoppy beers will be skunked..?
EDIT: I'm talking about the drive-thru

Not For Horses said:
Hobart to launnie via weldborough will be at least 5 hours driving. But it is epic scenery and a great road to drive (even more fun on a motorbike!) [...]
Cock n bull in launnie is still good for a pub meal and they have a few local beers on tap. The bartender will often try to talk you out of craft beer but insist that you don't want boags anything.[...]
If you're into cider, get along to dickens cider house. It's a tiny little bar near the princess theatre and he makes all the cider there on tap plus he has a fairly extensive selection of Tassie beer wine and spirits. I've lost many a good weekend due to being there the night before.
Did the drive, it was awesome. Didn't manage to stop at weldborough pub or ironhouse. Currently at cocknbull for a feed, nothing local on tap (excl boags). Has squires, LC, and WR. We plan on checking out dickens a bit later.

Liam_snorkel said:
Did the drive, it was awesome. Didn't manage to stop at weldborough pub or ironhouse. Currently at cocknbull for a feed, nothing local on tap (excl boags). Has squires, LC, and WR. We plan on checking out dickens a bit later.
Thats disappointing. They usually have something from Morrisons there.
Ciderhouse is great. I often go there for a few pints and a chat with Corey on a friday evening.

The royal oak has wineglass bay Hazards ale on tap, a malty English amber ale. Decent feed and good tunes on the stereo.

Shame you didn't get to the Weldborough, I stopped in there for the first time (very Tasmanian of me, taking 2 years to visit somewhere an hour away) and its a very unique little spot in the middle of a rainforest and was very impressed with the whole setup (being Tas craft beers on tap in an ancient building in the middle of nowhere.) Talked shit with the barman over a pint of Morrisons Stout for a while....

Seems like the Cock and Bull has gone downhill a bit....Coopers Pale has been occupying the independent tap for a while which leaves us with LC something, Squires something and White Rabbit on the Lion taps.......But I'm not really complaining 'cause a pint of either and a bowl of Launceston's best chips is why I go there.

A week or 2 later and you would have been able to visit Launceston's first craft beer bar. Stopped in there today while doing deliveries and was very impressed. Especially with the draught product in the chiller (That's Tasmanian for coolroom).......Launceston beer drinkers are in for a treat.

Really wanted to stop at weldborough but had to push on. :(

Dickens ciders were interesting. only beer they had was ironhouse pale in stubbies so didn't bother.

stakka82 said:
Dickens Cider... LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqRRW9lKmEQ

I'm heading hobart way on monday so was digging through the old news here looking for good times.
I was chatting with mrs dickens at their bar and she played this clip and told us that it was how the cidery got started.

Latest posts

Back