System Wars -

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I take it they are doing an identical recipe for tasting / judging? Results should be fascinating :icon_cheers:

The ingredients across all three brews are exactly the same as are the processes across the systems, as and where possible. We are trying - again, as much as possible - to demonstrate the differences and/or similarities of the final product from each system. I even left my NoChillCube at home and got to use one of those new-fangled chiller things!

Is it scientific? No. Are the results dependable? No. But, we are making a fair amount of beer and that has to be a good thing.

Lab Coats - I thought everyone wore appropriate safety gear when brewing. It comes as a shock to me that more people don't.

Hey Spills
What's that ratchetty thing? What exactly are they called and where from?

ratchetty_thing.JPG

I've got to get one of those. My hoist and cleat system is ok but I reckon for a larger grain bill that ratchet arrangement would be far safer and easier.

Hey Spills

That is a CMI Ultra - a form of what cavers/climbers call an ascender. It works exactly like a rope ratchet and two such devices allow one to climb a rope using a technique known as prussiking.

Mine is from when I was doing that sort of thing in the late 1980's and early 1990's. I pulled it from my brewery gantry for the day.

Petzl still make them today and you would expect to find them (or other manufacturers' equivalents) in almost any shop that caters for that sort of thing. Scout Outdoor Centre, Paddy Pallin, Mountain Designs, Snowgum. Warning: They're not cheap (nor should they be, because they stop people from plummeting to their death).

I don't use it to give me any mechanical advantage when it comes to lifting (although in conjunction with a pulley, it does) but so that I can easily lift the bag and let it dangle over the kettle to drain while the latter comes up to boil.

Yes I've seen David Attenborough shinning up a forest giant using them, back when he was a fit 70 year old :p I'll check with Anaconda etc.
Cheers.

A good friend of mine mentions often the idea of system wars a little different to yours here, the idea that each system has wheels and a motor and you race around a track whilst brewing.
Of course daryl eastlake commentating the video would be great. :p

Hey Spills

View attachment 39817

I've got to get one of those. My hoist and cleat system is ok but I reckon for a larger grain bill that ratchet arrangement would be far safer and easier.

http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=en&...271&bih=832

The cheaper form Bribie. I have used these simple devices for tree climbing and stuff and they've never failed. I've even used them to get myself and someone else out of a tree doing emergency drills at Tafe.

Tom

So anything to report yet on the results? Or are they going to be kept for evaluation as part of the Nats later on this year?

Latest posts

Back