Babbs Systems Wars For The Qld Homebrewing Conference

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I was pretty excited guys, and by that time I had a glass of beer so I may have missed a stage or two from the different systems.

And thanks all for taking the time to put on this spectacle for all the people looking to take the leap into AG.

Yeah I was pretty excited guys, and by that time I had a glass of beer so I may have missed a stage or two from the different systems.

And thanks all for taking the time to put on this spectacle for all the people looking to take the leap into AG.

I really appreciate the vids mate

Good to see nickJD make an appearance on the day, you still coming to the conference Nick?

Cheers

I remember we had water heating in the kettle and we used this for mashout, I can't recall if we had enough left over tippedin another bucket to sparge with. Liam should remember, much younger than me.

Yeah we used water from the shop HLT to sparge, but the strike water and mash out water was heated in the BOD.

I still cannot believe how quick Liam and Browndogs strike water came up to temp and how quick they had a boil happening. Pretty inspiring effort by the ippy boys.

Cheers

Thanks go to you too Dan,

You did a really good job of displaying all the systems and asking pertinent questions to keep things interesting on your videos.

Thanks for sharing with us all too.

It was a fun day (had a brewday on the Braumeister, was taking photos, video snippets, notes and making sure it all went to plan). It all went pretty smoothly once we moved one of the elements onto a different circuit.

I went into Bacchus on Monday morning instead of turning up to my actual job.

I re-sanitised all 4 fermentors and pitched the smack packs into all 4 beers.

Our 4 babies are fermenting away :icon_chickcheers:

Can't wait to taste them at the conference (I guess I'll have to do some "Quality Control" at filtering time).

PB

Thanks go to you too Dan,

You did a really good job of displaying all the systems and asking pertinent questions to keep things interesting on your videos.

Thanks for sharing with us all too.

It was a fun day (had a brewday on the Braumeister, was taking photos, video snippets, notes and making sure it all went to plan). It all went pretty smoothly once we moved one of the elements onto a different circuit.

I went into Bacchus on Monday morning instead of turning up to my actual job.

I re-sanitised all 4 fermentors and pitched the smack packs into all 4 beers.

Our 4 babies are fermenting away :icon_chickcheers:

Can't wait to taste them at the conference (I guess I'll have to do some "Quality Control" at filtering time).

PB

I hope it was a sickie mate, Dave, you are a bloody ripper.

I hope it was a sickie mate, Dave, you are a bloody ripper.
No...just worked really late that night....got frowned at and asked "What time do you call this?" a couple of times when I rocked up late morning....

I just shrugged and said...."When I F$%^n feel like showing up time!"

Well - I thought it was funny :icon_cheers:

All 4 Systems Wars ESB's have completed the fermentation cycle.

They have been in cold conditioning for a few days already.

I'll be taking readings, observations and tasting next week right before I filter and carbonate them all in readiness for the conference lunch break and the final wrap up.

Who will win....3V, BIAB, Ghetto or Braumeister :p

PB

3V for the win!!!

(although a little part of me would love to see the boys from the ghetto get up)

I reckon the best outcome would be if all beers were nearly indistinguishable from each other.

Thanks for these vids. I was having alot of trub when BIABing (up to 7 liters). Now I'm ghettoing and getting less than 1!

Cheers guys and I hope the ghetto boys win.

I reckon the best outcome would be if all beers were nearly indistinguishable from each other.

If I was a gambling man I would say there are going to be two very similar and two that are distinctly different from the other three.
Shan0066, that's good to hear mate, it makes the effort all worthwhile.

cheers

Browndog

I'll be taking readings, observations and tasting next week right before I filter and carbonate them all in readiness for the conference lunch break and the final wrap up.

Who will win....3V, BIAB, Ghetto or Braumeister :p

PB
Done.....System Wars Beers have now been filtered and carbed.

Now they are marked as BABBs ESB 1-4.......

Who's going to win Ultimate Glory???? :rolleyes:

Will be interesting....

Would be cool if the judges said " these beers all taste the bloody same! "

The results...

System Vol(L) OG MashE TotalE FG AA ABV

3V 20.25 1051 78% 75% 1012 76% 5.1%
BIAB 21.75 1042 70% 66%*1009 79% 4.3%
Braum 20.00 1054 83% 78% 1013 76% 5.3%
Ghetto 20.75 1051 78% 76% 1011 78% 5.2%

The volume stated is the Final volume of wort that was tipped out of the cube.
* Would have been approx 73% if boiled down to hit gravity (somewhere in the vicinity of 3L trub was wasted on the day)

The Taste-off was conducted over lunch before I gave the Systems Wars presentation so no pre-conceived ideas could happen.
I underestimated the loss of carbonation from lowly carbonated english beer in the corny kegs, to jug, to plastic cup....prepoured. So I do apoligise for that.

2 Systems were clear winners from the taste off.

BABBs ESB No.2 (Braumeister) and BABBs ESB No.4 (BIAB)

Within 3 votes of each other with 120 total written voting cards counted up.

Statistically insignificant, but there can be only one winner of Systems Wars.

The inaugural BABBs Systems Wars trophy is awarded to:

BIAB

Well Done BribieG and BIAB.

Cheers,

PB (Dave Clarke)

Edit: The full presentation with all the photos and system comparisons will be available on the QHC webpage soon.

Latest posts

Back