Sydney Bulk Grain Buy July/august 2012

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pimpsqueak

Barbeerian
Reaction score
I've decided to arrange a grain bulk buy with the assistance of Pat at Absolute Homebrew in St Marys, and I've approved this with Dane.

PICKUP: Absolute Homebrew, St Marys, NSW
ORDERS CLOSE: August 10th, 2012 or earlier.

There are two wholesalers (Cryer and Bintani) but this time they have been combined onto 1 list, as there are several key malts that are currently out of stock and it will be tricky to get sufficient numbers. We'll need to order 30-36 sacks in order for the bulk buy to go ahead.

Malts that are currently out of stock are all Dingemans malts and Fawcetts base malts ie. Maris Otter and Golden Promise.

I've attached the list (the spreadsheet has 2 pages) which already have freight included in the prices.

Pickup will be from Absolute Homebrew in St Marys, Western Sydney (map).
Once we have sufficient numbers we will confirm stock availability, (Pat may be able to place a top up order for the shop to help even things out), then payments, and then order.

I want to finalize and place the order by August 10th, so hopefully we can pickup before the end of August. For the avoidance of doubt, the Bulk Buy *will* close August 10th.

There will be no split sacks in the order. If you want to arrange a split, you may in this thread, but the order must be paid and picked up by one person.

If someone does not pay by the closing date, they may be scratched, and anyone with a reserve order may take their place.

Payment will be via Direct Deposit to a nominated bank account, and once all payments for a group have been received I will place the order .

View attachment New_bulk_price_July_2012_Excel.xls
I would recommend subscribing to this thread, so you stay in the loop.

[please copy and update to place order]

Number. Name Order (sacks * type)

1. pimpsqueak ( 2 sacks: 1x BB Ale Malt, 1 x Weyermann Pilsner )

Running Total = 2 sacks

2. kario ( 2 sacks: 1x BB Ale Malt, 1 x Weyermann Pilsner )

Running Total = 4 sacks

3. jimmyjackpot (2 sacks: 1x Weyermann Pilsner, 1x Weyermann Light Munich)

Running Total = 6 sacks

Will the pickup be on a Saturday ? I'll have no chance getting out to Pat's on a weekday.

That's what I hope to organise with Pat. I can't make it during the week (easily) either.
We'll tackle that bridge a little later on.

Edit: I have looked through the last bulk buy and it was delivered on a Tue/Wed and pickup was available Thur, Fri and Sat.
I am sure if the buy goes ahead, we can organise something similar with Pat.

Almost stopped drinking beer entirely and already have a sack of wheat and a sack of ale here, so I'll have to pass on this one. Sorry gents.

4. DJR (1 sack - 1x Briess Pale Ale Malt)

Running Total = 7 sacks

is there any chance the dingemans and fawcett will be in stock before closing the bulk buy ?

is there any chance the dingemans and fawcett will be in stock before closing the bulk buy ?

They are expecting both at the end of August which probably works out to be early September.
It all depends on the numbers we get I suppose.
If we fall well short and people are only prepared to order Fawcetts and Dingemans to get to the magic minimum number, then we will have to wait until early september I guess.

I really hope that is not the case though.
Also, I should have made more of a point about the minimum order. Just like the last bulk buy, we need to hit 30-36 bags from either supplier. For now, we will simply soldier on and see how many bags people are interested in before we worry about the details.

2. kario ( 2 sacks: 1x Joe White Traditional Ale, 1 x Weyermann Pilsner )

Running Total = 7 sacks

<Changed my mind from BB to JW...updated.>

5. gobern (4 sacks - 1x BB Ale, 1x Weyermann Pilsner, 1x Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner, 1 Bairds Pale Ale)

Running Total = 11 sacks

Hi All,

I want to get 1 maybe 2 sacks and keen to add my name to bump up numbers. I just wanted to know what people believe would be a good base malt that could be used for the following styles:

Pale Ale
Golden Ale
Amber Ale

I have been doing small batch BIAB but never paid to much attention to grain other than what the LHBS recommended. Now that I am gearing up for larger batches I want something that has peoples general recommendation and is available in this bulk buy.

Many Thanks, Tae.

Joe White or BB ale malt will cover you for all of those styles.

5. gobern (4 sacks - 1x BB Ale, 1x Weyermann Pilsner, 1x Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner, 1 Bairds Pale Ale)
6. tredog ( 1 sack: 1 x BB Ale Malt )

Running Total = 12 sacks

Is Optic Pale Ale malt available on this buy?

I'll enquire with Pat and get back to you.
The Fawcetts list has been omitted intentionally due to out-of-stock products. Hopefully Optic is not among them.

I may be interested in a bag of JW or BB Ale, but dont think I would be able to make it to St Marys for pickup, so would need someone to help out.

I may be interested in a bag of JW or BB Ale, but dont think I would be able to make it to St Marys for pickup, so would need someone to help out.
Whereabouts are you? I'm up in Berowra and will gladly pick up and hold it for you.

Latest posts

Back