Swiss Viole Biab Bags

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flano

Reaction score
I got one made up ...the material cost not much, but the seamstress charged like a wounded bull dyke.

Mine is struggling under the constant pressure applied to the stitches when squeezing etc.
I am thinking a Brew In A Sheet type thing would probably last heaps longer and avoid grain getting through piss weak stitching...but I might be BIAS ...sorry couldn't help it.
Just have a big ( pretty big square sheet of it ) pull it up at the sides and tie a knot in the top.

Anyone already doing it this way....am I missing some sort of inevitable dillema if I did it this way?

I have a homemade bag but am not a 'squeezer'. I just stick it in a bucket and let it drain slowly. By the time the wort is boiling there is nothing left in the bag .......
Cheers
BBB

I got one made up ...the material cost not much, but the seamstress charged like a wounded bull dyke.

Mine is struggling under the constant pressure applied to the stitches when squeezing etc.
I am thinking a Brew In A Sheet type thing would probably last heaps longer and avoid grain getting through piss weak stitching...but I might be BIAS ...sorry couldn't help it.
Just have a big ( pretty big square sheet of it ) pull it up at the sides and tie a knot in the top.

Anyone already doing it this way....am I missing some sort of inevitable dillema if I did it this way?

Ive got the sheet, only used once so far. I really need to get a cord going around just to make it easier to gather the ends, not to hold any weight though. Once I have the ends its pretty easy to deal with. I do need a bucket still though to put it in to drain.

a mate and i just bought 4 from craftbrewer,

but up until now i've been doing the sheet thing, and using a hangmans noose with some 1/4" nylon rope.
works fine.

but Ross has them at a bargain price i reckon at $19.95 ea

I'm sure the lifting tabs will do fine, but I still use the hangman's noose, nothing can get out of that one B) - I use an awning pulley on a skyhook and just thick awning cord from the hardware store.

My home-made bag has lasted me for well over one hundred brews. I squeeze. Thirsty Boy treats it like a piata when we're at G&G.

I would be very interested to see someone break a bag while brewing. I've burst some swiss voile, but that was in a basket press with an 8-tonne bottle jack pressing olive pomace and nobody I know is quite that well developed in the upper torso.

Having said all that, I don't hang my bag by the drawstring; I prefer to noose around the bag itself. I'm yet to find a way that doesn't look like I don't know what I'm doing.

My home-made bag has lasted me for well over one hundred brews. I squeeze. Thirsty Boy treats it like a piata when we're at G&G.

I would be very interested to see someone break a bag while brewing. I've burst some swiss voile, but that was in a basket press with an 8-tonne bottle jack pressing olive pomace and nobody I know is quite that well developed in the upper torso.

Having said all that, I don't hang my bag by the drawstring; I prefer to noose around the bag itself. I'm yet to find a way that doesn't look like I don't know what I'm doing.

Lol took me ages to work that sentence out.

I used to be able to do all that with one word in Turkish.

~20cm fixed loop of VB cord placed between thumb and index finger, with bag still in pot/urn gather it up and place over loop, wrap loop around and pull 1 end of it through the inside of the loop, pull tigght and hang it on a hook to drain. I have a piece of chain with a hook so can hang at pretty much any height. I am sure my instructions make no sense at all.

Edit for clarity... With a loop of cord in your hand, gather up the bag while it is in the pot and make a larks head knot around the bag and attach a hook etc and hoist away.

Once the bag is tied, I have no issue; my brewery gantry looks after it. Otherwise-surplus carabiners and rope ratchets assist.

But, because I have had a belt, suspenders and hold them up with both hands approach to ropes tattooed into my brain (when lives used to depend on me not getting it too wrong), I tend to go much overboard.

...and for the life of me, I cannot work out which sentence of the seven is (most) problematic. ;)

Rudimentary but it works for me:
a sheet that has been edged,
a piece of string
a butchers hook
all hung on the side of the fermenting fridge over a bucket

a few holes that have been stitched by these fair hands, due to too close proximity to fire :icon_drunk:

Sheets work well enough and are the "strongest" solution as well as the simplest i suppose. But having used both, the sheet is more difficult to manage and more likely to result in you accidentally spilling grain out into your brewpot.

Bit of practise and i'm sure there really wouldn't be any issues, but i have to say that using a bag is for me, distinctly more pain free than using a sheet.

I am a squeezer, and my home-seamstress stitching holds up under all sorts of abuse. That said, I threatened that it would be curtains for her if it ever broke on me during brewday.

I am a squeezer, and my home-seamstress stitching holds up under all sorts of abuse. That said, I threatened that it would be curtains for her if it ever broke on me during brewday.

:lol:
wah wah wah waaaaaaaaah

Im going to spotlight today to try and pick up some fab for my bag :p is there only one type of swiss viole? From memory local spotlight had it in synthetic which i thought might be a problem when boiling?

Im going to spotlight today to try and pick up some fab for my bag :p is there only one type of swiss viole? From memory local spotlight had it in synthetic which i thought might be a problem when boiling?

I went to Wollongong and they only had one type form memory.

Get more than you need...spotlight is a place where men don't belong.
You don't need to be going back there too often.

Thanks for the advice oh wise one, wish me luck :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back