BIAB greatly reduced trub

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Calling BIAB brewers

My entire AG BIAB career I've been doing the following:

• Curved roasting rack on the bottom of the urn to keep the bag off the element, so heat can be applied for ramping.
  • Dough in, lag the urn and mash for 1 - 2 hours (urn remains switched off)
  • Remove lagging, turn the urn on and pump the mash up and down with paint stirrer / giant potato masher while the mash ramps up to mashout temperature.
  • Gather the top of the bag (in my case it's a big hemmed circle of voile), fit skyhook pulley and hoist away.
  • Way hay and up she rises.

Proceed to boil. Hops (flowers and pellets) are confined to a hop swimming pool using a grain bag pegged round the top of the urn.

At the end of the boil the hop bag is hoisted, containing most of the hop material. Then I let the urn rest for about 20 mins before running off into no chill cubes.

I've always had about two or three litres of soupy grey break and crap left in the urn.
A couple of brews ago I was distracted and inadvertently hoisted the bag immediately after a one hour mash. Gave it a good squeeze as normal and proceeded to boil.

The first thing I noticed was that rather than the alarming grey foam crusty on the top prior to the boil breaking through, the foam was whiter and more healthy looking. When the boil broke through the wort was unusually clear and even had specks of break forming.

I boiled as per normal, rested and drained.
There was hardly any break or gunk in the bottom.

That was with Maris Otter. Yesterday I repeated the process with BB Pale for a lager brew and very carefully hoisted the bag a few cm at a time.
Same result as with the previous brew.
Here's what ended up in the urn. You'll note that you can see the urn bottom through the small 'clouds' of trub.

reduced trub.jpg

The last time I saw such as small amount of trub in an electric boiler was when I minded Dave Clark's BrauMeister at a systems war for him, and was surprised by the small amount of trub left after cubing.

I suggest that without the fierce rousing the grain actually does form a bed of sorts, which was always a supposed "downside" of straight BIAB. Even when squeezing, the wort was running through clear (being suspended on a skyhook I can use both hands to squeeze from the top of the "sack".

Will experiment further, but so far I see little benefit in constructing elaborate recirculating systems for BIAB unless for temperature Nazi purposes. B)
The main benefit is that I can now probably scale back my brews from 23L to 21L lengths and still get clear wort into the fermenter and still fill one keg.
Or put it another way, as far as $$$ go, every tenth brew is now free.

ed: hit gravities nicely.

That is interesting, far less trub and no diminished gravity you say... hmmn

So no mash out but gravity was the same?

I'd be interested to hear how the beers turn out. I think I'd read somewhere that the mash out can also assist in head formation.

That's the next stage, see how they turn out. The Yorkshire Bitter is in the FV at the moment.
In the case of BIAB the theory is that the wort is more runny at mashout temperatures so better yield, but in my case I squeeze so little difference.

Another model would be to do a Hochkurz mash but without the mashout, hoist gently after the dex rest and see how it goes.

Sounds like you could raise to mashout but not disturb the grain. Then squeeze the bag after it's been hoisted. Might get the same filtering effect and better head retention / efficiency.

I think that one of the reasons for getting a lot of turbidity and crap in the boiler with BIAB is that it's always been a "hey, this is quick, simple and foolproof" and the tendency is to rush the process, yank out the bag, gung ho.

Keeping the grain mass relatively undisturbed during the mash then gently and progressively lifting seems in my case to have cut out most of the annoying trub. Obviously the stuff I was getting in the bottom of the boiler wasn't hot break, it was just debris.

Raising to mashout involves a lot of stirring and pumping up and down as it ramps up. Might try doing that, then let it rest and slowly add jug wort from the tap back into the top of the mash and see if that works.

Why not just increase the temp without the pumping etc?

I've been doing a few "steped" mashes lately with great results but my insulation is terrible so I lose a degree or three over 30- 45-90 steps. Great beers but lots of trub/hot break what ever you call it. Cloudy without gelatine.

Keen to see the results. I wouldn't feel confident with not stirring while raising the temp. I can raise my element screen though.

Barge said:
Why not just increase the temp without the pumping etc?
You get hot spots and uneven temp distribution. Worst case example you can trip the urn on over temp.

Keep us posted, I've always wondered about the amount of crap left by BIAB. Although I don't think it's any detriment to the beer produced.

I always have a huge amount of trub as well which is always disappointing. Anyway to reduce it would be welcome.

So the question is, is the reduction from the slow raising or the no mash out?

I don't think it affects the finished beer either but it robs volume.

Bribie G said:
I don't think it affects the finished beer either but it robs volume.
I find if I don't put trub into the fermenter then I'm leaving 3L behind, if I put trub into the fermenter then it has trouble clearing. Taste doesn't seem to be affected but appearance does, must admit it doesn't bother me too much but it would be nice to get more volume into the fermenter AND clearer beer with no extra effort.

I used to fold my bag in half and use bulldog clips to hold it in place in the FV opening when I transfered. The amount of gunk that it picked up was amazing.
For my last 5 or 6 brews however I've just dumped everything in no questions asked and I've not noticed any Ill effects whatsoever.

These are some interesting reading regarding trub. Not exactly irrefutable evidence but keeps the possibility open!

http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/
http://brulosophy.com/2015/03/22/the-impact-of-kettle-trub-part-2-exbeeriment-results/

Very interesting. I must say I have been getting a fair amount of trub in the urn myself. Lately I've also been stirring the mash periodically over the 90 minutes and during ramp up to and mash out etc. My efficiency has improved since doing this, and also since moving to a coarser crush, despite the shitload of trub in the bottom of the urn (although this is allowed for in Beersmith).

Next brew day I will give this method a trial run and see how I go in regards to hitting my numbers and also with the level of trub. Will be interesting.

I used to stir my brew once or twice during the mash and was getting so much trub the urn was cutting out. So,a while back, I decided to stop stirring to see if the grain would filter the wort. It worked very well and made zero difference to efficiency . So, yeah, I definitely think it works as a filter. Will have to try your slow lift method and see if I can reduce it even more .

CmdrRyekr said:
Trub doesn't matter. Get over it.
Another urban myth without detailed scientific support to back up the statement!!!

Wobbly

Latest posts

Back