Swiss Viole Biab Bags

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im going to spotlight today to try and pick up some fab for my bag :p is there only one type of swiss viole? From memory local spotlight had it in synthetic which i thought might be a problem when boiling?

lol there is a big range but you don't really want the stuff with patterns in it, talk to one of the ladies and ask for plain "voile" and make sure it's polyester
i got some more on the weekend but it is not quite "voile" i think and it has a bit bigger "weave" and might impact on what gets through it.
it's poly but

Goto the curtain section. I had a mission finding it as the staff at my local spotlight weren't very helpful.

i lay the sheet over my urn and push it down to the bottom with my mash paddle.

then put 4 pegs onto the side of the urn and the sheet doesnt move.

grain in - stir - pegs off - lid on.

easy :)

there's usually a polyester voille and a nylon one. I don't know what the idfference is but i always use polyester, only because i've always used it. If anyone knows what the difference between the two is that would be great.

While you're at spotlight TmC, get some strong elastic as well. You can put this around you pot and then tuck in the edges of the sheet. I've done this for ages. used to use bull dog clamps but they would pop the lid up a fraction, allowing some heat to get out. One day i will geta round to sewing the elastic into the hem of the sheet, but until then it works just fine, the edges are a little frayed though.

Success! Have 2 metres of violle, cost me $14 so still cheaper than buying a bag, also acquired a brand new 19L pot and a second hand 15L pot for $6.50 at my 2nd hand store, all i need to do know is wait for my grain to arrive. Going to give the 9L stovetop method a go as i have some new 10L fermenters.

Success! Have 2 metres of violle, cost me $14 so still cheaper than buying a bag, also acquired a brand new 19L pot and a second hand 15L pot for $6.50 at my 2nd hand store, all i need to do know is wait for my grain to arrive. Going to give the 9L stovetop method a go as i have some new 10L fermenters.

You can also use the 19L pot to produce full size batches, as in Nick JD's couple of tutes on AHB, and also recommend joining BIABinfo forum as well where RdeVjun (also on this forum) has posted his excellent "Maxi BIAB" information. I've got a few of his in the fridge at the moment, method makes great beer.

i lay the sheet over my urn and push it down to the bottom with my mash paddle.

then put 4 pegs onto the side of the urn and the sheet doesnt move.

grain in - stir - pegs off - lid on.

easy :)

Werd. This is exactly as I do it, not problems at all. At $19.95 though, I'm tempted to grab a bag from Ross.

TmC: make sure you boil those pots first and give them a good clean - wouldn't want a curry flavoured beer or something!

I smelt it in the shop and it smelt like vinegar, i asked the lady and she said she used vinegar to "sterilise" it, i have it soaking in some bleach and will give it a boiling hot soak a few times before i use it.

Fill it to the brim with hot water in your laundry sink and add a cap of napisan. 48 hours later it will be new again.

Will do, cant wait to give your stovetop method a try nick! :icon_chickcheers:

Will do, cant wait to give your stovetop method a try nick! :icon_chickcheers:

hahaha

you''ll be obsessed before you know it.

Geeze I made a mess the first few times.

Now, it is easy as. Hardly any mess at all.
You'll get your own technique down.
I work from home on Fridays ...I can be on the phone to a client in WA while I have brew boiling away ...and a beer in my hand.
Boss, wife and clients are none the wiser! :icon_cheers:

hahaha

you''ll be obsessed before you know it.

Geeze I made a mess the first few times.

Now, it is easy as. Hardly any mess at all.
You'll get your own technique down.
I work from home on Fridays ...I can be on the phone to a client in WA while I have brew boiling away ...and a beer in my hand.
Boss, wife and clients are none the wiser! :icon_cheers:

Unless you get a boilover talking to a client... "F#&@#!" :D Im giving myself plenty of time to get it all done as i heard that it can take a few hours for some people. I am going to stop buying cans completely unless they are half price for toucans/tricans. All my dark beers have tasted like shit so if my AG turns out good i might try a darker one as they can hide the unwanted flavours a bit better. Just need to find some more bottles! :drinks:

Unless you get a boilover talking to a client... "F#&@#!" :D Im giving myself plenty of time to get it all done as i heard that it can take a few hours for some people. I am going to stop buying cans completely unless they are half price for toucans/tricans. All my dark beers have tasted like shit so if my AG turns out good i might try a darker one as they can hide the unwanted flavours a bit better. Just need to find some more bottles! :drinks:

Try this - it was my 2nd BIAB batch, and is only a 9L (12 bottle) one pot batch.

Duff Street Darkie

Tried and tested for BIAB and newbs.

Goomba

Cheers! If my first go is ok i will get the ingred's for this one. Just waiting on my order from Ross :)

Might be, ordered on sunday night and went with the poor mans postage :p Unless the quality of my HBS and its range improve heaps im going to be a returning customer.

i have been buying full batch grain bills from CB and splitting them in two, CB do the splits and vac'ing :beer:
using the 19L pot and voile etc
no chilling in 10L bunning water "cubes" (might be 11.5 L in the cube?)
aiming for higher FG boils and ad back a bit of water in the fermenter
fermenting them in 15L cubes in my temp-fridge
getting about two cartons out of each brew (roughly) :beerbang:
experimenting with dry hopping diff amounts in each 1/2 etc
making pretty good beer !!!

now buying bulk grain.... :ph34r:

you will never look at kits of goo the same

Back