'sweet' Cider.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're still chasing a cider on the sweeter side of things (sweeter cider ha ha) then the 05 will probably attenuate less than the wine and leave more residual sugar. Alc will be a bit less with lower attenuation.

Yeah, I've thought about this (see my other post) but cos I'm only bottling this stuff and not kegging, the yeast still needs a bit of kick to carbonate. I think I might go BP's idea of adding some juice or 'post mix' if you will.
If it it turn out shithouse, at least I can get drunk on it or sell it to the local teenagers..

(he he ...sweeter cider...)

Yeah, I've thought about this (see my other post) but cos I'm only bottling this stuff and not kegging, the yeast still needs a bit of kick to carbonate. I think I might go BP's idea of adding some juice or 'post mix' if you will.
If it it turn out shithouse, at least I can get drunk on it or sell it to the local teenagers..

(he he ...sweeter cider...)

Not quite sure what you mean about the carbonation. Why do you think the wine yeast will result in better carbonation than the 05?

I use wine yeast in my ciders but the main reason is that they allow me to ferment cool which I find gives a cleaner tasting cider sooner (although the ferment obviously is longer and I cold condition it as well - it's just less tempting to drink from the fermenter than it is the bottle). I'm sure 05 will still fizz up with the addition of the priming sugar.

Not quite sure what you mean about the carbonation. Why do you think the wine yeast will result in better carbonation than the 05?

I could quite possibly be barking up the wrong tree with this, but I thought the higher gravity of the cider might stall the 05 all together, making any further fermentation impossible, and thus, no bubbles in the bottles, whereas the wine yeast would simply run its course in the fermenter, go to sleep and then wake up again to chew up the sugar in the bottles.
Ive never made anything with a higher ABV than about 6% using 05, so I don't know how far you can go before she canna take any more, captain.

If you're just using apple juice, (store purchased or fresh pressed) it's going to be well within the tolerances of US05 or pretty much any yeast..

That being said, even with US05, my most recent cider ended up with an FG of around 1002, so quite dry still.

the next batch i plan to use the absolute appalling brigalow kit with 2kgs of dexterose + a bottle of vodka. maybe some honey too. last batch included apple schnapps which boosted the alcohol volume beyond the realms of reality. i've had 4 of these in rapid succession and needed to lie down for 12 hours.

if that's what you want from a cider, go for it...

:huh: :lol: :rolleyes:

I just put down a Blackrock Cider.

3l of preservative free apple juice
200 ml tin of apricot juice
500gm Raspberries
2.5kg brown sugar

Champagne yeast.

And man does do the raspberries turn it red. If it's too dry I'll add some corn syrup. I've no idea of the alc%, but reckon it will be high!

Latest posts

Back