n00b Q - if i have a fermetned cider, can i add more juice to it and r

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

wareemba

Reaction score
hi, I have a 20L of apple juice which had 10g of safcider yeast added.

it bubbled and fermented out to around .999 in a weekish...

I transferred this to another fermenter and there it has sat for 6 days. (was going to bottle on the weekend)

my wife loved the cider & blood orange brew I did in January, so she said "why cant you make a blood orange one from some of the cider you have there"

hmmm, I thought? good question!

so can I put 4L of the fermented stuff into a 5L demijohn and add some blood orange juice and let it ferment out the new sugars again?

Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here
Reaction score
Yep. Sure can. There will be plenty of viable yeast left in solution.

elcarter

Reaction score
You could but may need some more yeast as it's been a while and might not have enough in suspension. Probably still ferment but might not be a nice clan one.

A better way would be to ferment your blood orange / new juice and blend it to taste with the fermented cider afterwards.

Or just make another batch :D

Edit Airgead know smore about cider than I, looks liek it may be fine :D

Airgead

Reaction score
Should be plenty in suspension. I think the OP said its only been in secondary for 6 days.

wareemba

Reaction score
great thanks guys!

yeah, only 6 days sitting...

I might prepare the 16 litres for cider-only bottling (i.e. bulk prime into a new fermenter) it then add the blood orange juice to the 4 litres left in the current fermenter where there will be a slight cake at the bottom?

Airgead

Reaction score
That would maximise the amount of yeast available. Be careful of oxygenating the cider when you add the juice though.

wareemba

Reaction score
I will funnel the juice in via an immersed hose :)

stux

Hacienda Brewhaus
Reaction score
Cider can drop quite clear quite quickly. If I were going to do this, I'd just swirl the fermenter to resuspend the yeast, then add the OJ

slcmorro

87 Warning Points. Bad Boy!
Reaction score
elcarter said:
You could but may need some more yeast as it's been a while and might not have enough in suspension. Probably still ferment but might not be a nice clan one.
Should be tonnes of yeast. No different than pitching onto a yeast cake...?

wareemba

Reaction score
Stux said:
Cider can drop quite clear quite quickly. If I were going to do this, I'd just swirl the fermenter to resuspend the yeast, then add the OJ
yeah, I will rack off the top 16 litres, then add the juice to the remaining 4 litres via a funnel and hose...

Latest posts