Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Simple sweet cider

Discussion in ''Non Beer' Brewing' started by Starfire, 9/10/19.

1. Starfire

Posted 9/10/19
    G'day all,
    My wife wants a sweet cider not typical dry homebrew cider....Would the following recipe work?:

1. Use Aldi "Natural Cloudy Apple Juice" and Goulburn Valley Pear Juice can (4:1 ratio) with 100g brown suger/liter
    2. Use US05 yeast
    3. Ferment for 10 days
    4. Rack to secondary fermenter
    5. For back sweetening add Coles 3L Apple Juice with 202 perservative (potassium sorbate) - this will hopefully stop the cider from fermenting any further
    6. Prime and bottle

Would step 5 with potassium sorbate make the yeast sterile to stop any future fermination? This seems much simpler than:
    • Adding non-fermentable sweetener: Lactose/Stevia
    • Other chemicals
    • Pasteurising

2. SKBugs

Posted 10/10/19 at 10:26 AM
    The preservative/pasteurisibg will also kill the yeast and therefore no carbonation. Unfortunately there is no way to make a sweet carbed cider/mead/wine unless you keg. That being said, you can add lactose and stevia easily enough, and I’ve read a number of people who do. I think that it will leave that sickly sweet coating on the mouth tho, or the chemical aftertaste of the stevia.
    That’s my two cents anyhow

3. Starfire

Posted 13/10/19 at 4:05 AM
    Ahhh, I see! So how about making as per recipe steps 1-5 then use Sodastream to add carbonation and bottle. That should work?