Suspended Stuff In Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo1234

Reaction score
I am just wondering if anyone can tell me what the suspended stuff is in my beer?

I fermented a Craftbrewer LCBA FWK and it has been bottled for 2.5 weeks.... I fermented for 10 days then crash chilled for 10 days... Finings and primed with 150g dex......

I really have no clue what the suspended stuff is in the bottles but it sort of looks like the dex has not dissolved and is floating around in the beer.... I really don't think that is the case though.. I opened a warm one and poured it and it had great head and tastes great too but just puzzled what the suspended stuff is.....

My extract brews have not had this and I bulk primed them too????

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

P5180495_1.JPG

P5180491_1.JPG

P5180491_1.JPG

Attachments

• P5180492_1.JPG
    P5180492_1.JPG
    47.8 KB
It's a bit hard to see from the photos. What sort of finings did you use? I've had polyclar look a bit like that in one of my beers before.

It's a bit hard to see from the photos. What sort of finings did you use? I've had polyclar look a bit like that in one of my beers before.

I just used the finings that you get from the supermarket in the little packets and then dex to prime.... I have used the finings and dex before but had no problem.... Although I added the finings at the end of the crash chill so maybe they didn't dissolve because it was too cold???

Might try to upload bigger photos.

You may have answered it yourself...

Finings still need a decent stir to disolve in hot water, so if you added cold they probably are still in clumps.

Also how long did you wait to bottle after you added the finings go the fermenter ?

You may have answered it yourself...

Finings still need a decent stir to disolve in hot water, so if you added cold they probably are still in clumps.

Also how long did you wait to bottle after you added the finings go the fermenter ?

I dissolved the finings in hot water first and then added it to the fermenter.. then waited a day or two before bottling.

P5180492_4.JPG

This is actually the best picture of it.

Attachments

• P5180492_3.JPG
    P5180492_3.JPG
    172.4 KB
Still very hard to tell from the pictures. Looks like yeast bits but my best guess it is bits of finings. It should settle down in time in the bottle. Not the result you are wanting after spending time with finings. Must say I have had great results with ordinary Wards edible gelatine as I don't have a fridge for crash chilling.

I have done 2 CB FWKs and they are fantastic should be a great brew. The picture of the glass with good head looks fine to me I would drink it. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back