Does this look off?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rfox

Reaction score
The photos pretty bad, my camera is screwed.

These white flakey things,

Appeared around day 10 in the fermenter, they have been there for about 5 days, they have not increased in size or really changed shape atall.
There is no hair on them.

The beer smells and tastes fine.

This is in a pressure fermenter which has not been opened. I have only been extracting beer from the valve at the top. Its under pressure so beer just flows out when I connect it to a hose.

What would you do?

Attachments

• 20231106_142452.jpg
    20231106_142452.jpg
    666.4 KB · Views: 0
Yep!

It can be hard to tell from just a picture but of the three really common infections (Acetobacter, Lactobacillus and Brettanomyces) I would take a punt on Acetobacter being the most likely.
Acetobacter makes "Vinegar" (Acetic acid) and it needs Oxygen. it is often fairly slow to get going in a primary that is well sealed but give it a whiff of O2 and it will go off its chops.
Mark

I have had similar white flakes like "icebergs" that ended up depositing on inside of fermenter afte rdraining. Also had not been open and remained purged with CO2. Had some brewers look at it and say it could be oils from dry hops. That beer ended up perfectly fine and completely consumed (slowly as well so it stored fine). So if you had dry hopped potentially it is that?

Latest posts

Back