Summer Ale/Blonde recipe feedback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n87

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Hi All,

First go at sort of creating a recipe, based on previous brews and too much time looking at the internet.
I am looking for some feedback on the recipe, planning on attempting it next brew day.

This is a double batch, cubed.
each cube will have a different hop (Citra and ADHA-59) this is to see what they taste like :)

SRM: 6.0 EBC
IBU: 31.9 IBUs Tinseth
OG: 1.037 SG
FG: 1.009 SG
BU:GU: 0.855
Est ABV: 3.6 %
EE%: 85.00 %
Batch: 50.00

Amt Name %/IBU
5.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) 71.4 %
1.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) 14.3 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) 14.3 %

20.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 50.0 min 12.1 IBUs
30.00 g ADHA-529 [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min 9.5 IBUs
30.00 g Citra [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min 10.3 IBUs

A few reasons for this brew:
Need a beer that doesn't increase the gravity multiplier as fast
Need a nice light beer for summer
Want to start trying some different hops

so please, let me know what you think.

my comments are more on your process than the recipe...

85% efficiency - is that what you normally achieve or it it your expectation?
Are you doing a double batch mash & running off into a vessel & then splitting that into 2 brews & using different 15 min additions?
What yeast?

What temp are you mashing at?

I find for midstrength beers they lack body so I mash at 70C and you wouldn't even know it's a midstrength beer.

31 ibu in a 3.6 % Blonde is way over the top for that style, the bitterness will dominate, I'd drop that down to mid 20's at the most.

crozdog said:
my comments are more on your process than the recipe...

85% efficiency - is that what you normally achieve or it it your expectation?
Are you doing a double batch mash & running off into a vessel & then splitting that into 2 brews & using different 15 min additions?
What yeast?
ive done 5 AG's, 4 of the 5 have been in the 83-89% range

these are being cubed, the 15 min additions are cube hops.

Midnight Brew said:
What temp are you mashing at?

I find for midstrength beers they lack body so I mash at 70C and you wouldn't even know it's a midstrength beer.

not 100% sure, i was thinking high 60's. point noted

AndrewQLD said:
31 ibu in a 3.6 % Blonde is way over the top for that style, the bitterness will dominate, I'd drop that down to mid 20's at the most.
do you think i should loose some off the magnum? or add it later? or loose some of the cube hops?

All of those hops are high AA%, in a low alcohol beer that can lead to a harsh bitterness that will overpower the malt base.
Are you no chilling this brew?

You say that each cube will get a different hop, but list both in the recipe to get 31ibu. Which is it?

AndrewQLD said:
All of those hops are high AA%, in a low alcohol beer that can lead to a harsh bitterness that will overpower the malt base.
Are you no chilling this brew?
yup, no chill

you think dropping the 'bittering' addition would work?
from what ive heard, the 15min addition (cube hopped in this case) produces a 'less harsh' bitterness.

Blind Dog said:
You say that each cube will get a different hop, but list both in the recipe to get 31ibu. Which is it?
both...
the recipe is for a double batch.
each cube will get 30g of the specific hop
if you were to do half the malts, half the bittering addition, and one of the hops, you would end up with much the same IBUs (slightly different due to the slight differences in AA)

At 31 IBUs you're way over where a blonde ale should be, but into the territory of the lighter english summer ales which may be what you're after given your thread's, slightly confusing, title. Personally I think you'll be fine so long as you like a firm bitterness in your beers.

forget the magnum for this beer and style...........just increase the cube additions to get your IBU to approx 18ibu and dry hop with the same hop for 4-5days after fermentation has finished or near TG. ( terminal gravity )

My suggestion for the mash would be to go on the dry side at 65c for 60-90mins to get a more refreshing finish and personally Id get rid of the munich and just have a 70/30 split with the Ale and wheat malt.

What yeast and what temp are you aiming for?

Given some of the above suggestions, I'd be remiss not to point towards the Mountain Goat Steam Ale recipe here, given by the brewer himself, which is starting to look similar (base malt/wheat combo, no bittering addition—all bitterness from whirlpool).

Hate to put words in the OP's mouth, but I'm sure the "summer/blonde" was more a general direction rather than looking to be strict to style. This is indicated by the lower OG and ABV. With this in mind, I wouldn't think ~32 IBU should be too overwhelming, coming out at a 0.85 BU:GU ratio. Certainly on the firm side of balanced.

Pratty1 said:
forget the magnum for this beer and style...........just increase the cube additions to get your IBU to approx 18ibu and dry hop with the same hop for 4-5days after fermentation has finished or near TG. ( terminal gravity )

My suggestion for the mash would be to go on the dry side at 65c for 60-90mins to get a more refreshing finish and personally Id get rid of the munich and just have a 70/30 split with the Ale and wheat malt.

What yeast and what temp are you aiming for?
was going for US05 at 17-18C

I included the munich to counteract the lack of malt. as from what i understand, a 3.5% with all pale (and wheat) malt may be a little lacking.

carpedaym said:
Given some of the above suggestions, I'd be remiss not to point towards the Mountain Goat Steam Ale recipe here, given by the brewer himself, which is starting to look similar (base malt/wheat combo, no bittering addition—all bitterness from whirlpool).

Hate to put words in the OP's mouth, but I'm sure the "summer/blonde" was more a general direction rather than looking to be strict to style. This is indicated by the lower OG and ABV. With this in mind, I wouldn't think ~32 IBU should be too overwhelming, coming out at a 0.85 BU:GU ratio. Certainly on the firm side of balanced.
Thanks, i will have a look at that.

And yes, i think you have hit the nail there. I havnt brewed enough to really know exactly what i like/want, hence half the reason i am trying different hops.

i think ill drop the bittering hop, and possibly nudge the cube (15min) hops up a touch.

but thats a morning job... Beersmith stops cooperating after i have sampled some of my brews... i have a really nice IPA that has just reached its drinkable stage :icon_drool2:

Thanks all for the feedback so far. :beer:

and as far as dry hops are concerned... i was going to wing it. ie. decide if it needed them at about 4 days in to the ferment.

if it needs or i feel like it, i would prob throw about 20g in (~25L) of the appropriate hop.

Do the same batch with wyeast 1007. Great for blonde ales. I'd drop the Ibu to 20 but I like my blondes easy. Easy drinking I mean :)

so, a couple of tweaks:

Batch Size (fermenter): 50.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.037 SG
Estimated Color: 5.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 20.7 IBUs
BU:GU: 0.556
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %

5.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) 71.4 %
1.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) 21.4 %
0.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) 7.1 %

33.00 g ADHA-529 [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min 10.4 IBUs (Cube hoped, Cube 1, 20.8 IBU)
30.00 g Citra [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min 10.3 IBUs (Cube hoped, Cube 2, 20.6 IBU)

1pk US-05

Mash at 65-66C. i think a dryer finish is what im after on this one

I prefer a dry finish on these beers. Makes it all the more easy to lose count of how many you've had :)

At the risk of being labelled a girly man, I've got a keg of blonde on at the moment that has some apricot extract from Ross in it. I made it for the wife, but may end up drinking lots of it. I think it'll be a summer staple. Ended up getting some peach extract it worked so well.

My Summer Blonde or as I refer to Golden Ale is in the dry hop phase right now.

60% Ale
40% Wheat

OG - 1.041

Mashed @ 65c

Late kettle addition @ 5mins to get 18ibu
Citra, Galaxy & Simcoe

Dry Hopped the same hop combo 14g each for 7days @ 20c

Will cold crash this friday and keg, smells fantastic

That ADHA-59 sound delicious... will have to give it a go,

I look forward to your feedback

Beercus

Latest posts